Cyle Larin

shermanator

Suspect that tracking expected goals per 90 would result in an even bigger differential between Larin and other elite internationals (ie he doesn't get nearly the amount of service and opportunity that a Rooney does for example).  

I still believe Larin neees to be better though. Just don't think he has been nearly as bad as some believe

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

^ Did you subtract the goal scored off his ass? I mean, if we're cherry picking stats to suit a narrative then it works both ways.

No that should never be subtracted because it was the funniest way he's EVER scored a goal.

19 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The stats I gave above for prominent England strikers were all "goals per game played" not "goals per 90 minutes played". My comparison and suggested strike rate were all based on that. If you want to work out "goals per 90 mins" for all those players, be my guest, but you can't compare "goals per 90 mins" for one player to "goals per game played" for others! That is utter nonsense.

I didn't comment on your stats,  Goals per game is a flawed stat period.  Goals per 90 minutes is how everyone compares strike rates.  0.5 goals per 90 is considered  excellent.

Wayne Rooney's career strike rate for England is 0.53 goals per 90 which is excellent for example.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

And how many England matches have you ever watched? Not many based on that idiotic comment! Even Pele said that Gordon Banks was one of the best goalkeepers he had ever played against so perhaps you'd care to start an argument with him!

Over the years England have had many world class goalkeepers and defenders. I'll let you look them up for yourself.

Anyway, to play defensively or offensively is about tactics. And tactically, over the last 30-40 years taken as a whole, roughly the period during which most of the strikers I listed played, England have very much been a DEFENSIVE team. And I know because I've watched many of the matches.

I guess that is one of the limitations of an Internet forum: any ignoramus who knows nothing about a topic can pop up and post some utter nonsense at any time!

Sorry i thought you were referring to the Premier League defending. Read wrong

So who thinks Cyle will break the 27 goal mark in 2017? He has a great start so far.

I'd go for over 20 but beating 27? Sure, why not. I say he sets a new MLS record this year. Everything seems to be coming together for him.

28+ here he comes!

I would guess no to over 20, Larin does tend to be a bit streaky and shit always happens.  So hard to get over 20, the last 7-8 years with expansion there has been 1-2 guys each year go over 20, but the stars really have to align for you.  But 17-20 goals given that he will miss so much time with our long gold cup run this summer is still an outstanding season.  

According to the Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad (http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170421_02843916) Kv Oostende is looking at Larin (check the name by his foto btw). Oostende is a minor Belgian club but they might have some cash if they're able to sell Landry Dimata (12 goals in 28 games). Interestingly the report says he'll, cost at least 3 million Euros. That makes it look like a longshot IMO. 

Ook Oostende op spoor van Canadese spits,

In de Verenigde Staten zijn ze ervan overtuigd dat de toekomst van de talentvolle spits Cyle ­Larin (22) in België ligt. Hij werd al gelinkt aan Genk en ­Anderlecht, maar volgens Amerikaanse bronnen heeft KV Oostende de beste papieren. Larin voetbalt in de Major Soccer League bij ­Orlando City, dat tweede staat, en wordt beschouwd als een groot ­talent.

De ­19-voudige Canadese interna­tional scoorde nu al vier keer in vijf matchen en was ook de voorbije twee seizoenen goed voor respectievelijk 14 en 17 goals. Zelf droomt de targetspits van de Premier League, maar een Belgische tussenstap is niet uitgesloten. Hij kost wel minstens 3 miljoen euro en lijkt voor KVO alleen maar in aanmerking te ­komen als Landry ­Dimata vertrekt.

According to multiple sources, Larin is deemed too expensive for KRC Genk (for now) and they are looking at other options. This article: http://www.hbvl.be/cnt/dmf20170427_02854289/topspits-uit-mls-voorlopig-te-duur-voor-krc-genk says both Genk and Oostende have sent their Technical Directors to check him out hough. That's pretty serious. 

According to https://www.clubcall.com/middlesbrough/boro-check-out-powerful-mls-hitman-1849844.html, Middlesborough is also interested. Here they say he earns £3,000 a week, which could be multiplied by ten if he signs in England. They also state Everton is chasing him.

Lot's of rumors right now, but I really think he'll be gone this summer.  

32 minutes ago, One American said:

Genk is looking at Larin in the same way they're looking at Messi. 

Have any of you actually watched Genk this year? Just asking since they got deep into Europa league and play quite well, though Celta handled them they were not exactly a weak team, into quarter finals like Anderlecht. 

I agree that they are not a traditionally strong team, and that any Belgian side will have budget limits, but I am not sure sharing ignorance of the team, then comparing Larin to Messi, is the logical way to proceed. 

40 minutes ago, shamrock said:

According to https://www.clubcall.com/middlesbrough/boro-check-out-powerful-mls-hitman-1849844.html, Middlesborough is also interested. Here they say he earns £3,000 a week, which could be multiplied by ten if he signs in England. They also state Everton is chasing him.

Lot's of rumors right now, but I really think he'll be gone this summer.  

The Championship may be a good challenge for him as Middlesborough try to bounce right back to the EPL! 

Edited by gator

If you have that much demand, and it corresponds to a lot of teams now being able to evaluate the weaknesses of their seasons and plan for the next, then those transfer fees are low. You are not going to have ten teams arguing over half a million here or there. 

Prediction: he'll go for 8 million Euros, and Orlando will hold out as long as they can, basically up to Gold Cup and maybe even into it, to keep prices up. 

Risk: an injury robs them of their deal, and us of getting to see it happen.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you have that much demand, and it corresponds to a lot of teams now being able to evaluate the weaknesses of their seasons and plan for the next, then those transfer fees are low. You are not going to have ten teams arguing over half a million here or there. 

Prediction: he'll go for 8 million Euros, and Orlando will hold out as long as they can, basically up to Gold Cup and maybe even into it, to keep prices up. 

Risk: an injury robs them of their deal, and us of getting to see it happen.

I feel like Larin will stay until January, he is hungry for success with Orlando and if he stays until then Orlando get a higher % of the transfer fee so more willing to sell.