Cyle Larin

shermanator

3 hours ago, gator said:

The Championship may be a good challenge for him as Middlesborough try to bounce right back to the EPL! 

Yeah I think that is a good level for Larin honestly. It will be a good challenge trying to promote and would give him some time to adjust to English football and earn his stripes, because to jump straight into the EPL would be very difficult. 

If he is mediocre at Middlesborough, he'd still be young enough to get another shot in England or elsewhere.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

The key with a Larin transfer is that he has to go somewhere where he can play. If he transfers to a big club, and sits on the bench, any improvement will be limited.

Another key in my opinion is not to end up on a lesser quality team just because it is Europe. With the changing quality of different international leagues it is hard to determine which leagues/teams are better for him to join.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have any of you actually watched Genk this year? Just asking since they got deep into Europa league and play quite well, though Celta handled them they were not exactly a weak team, into quarter finals like Anderlecht. 

I agree that they are not a traditionally strong team, and that any Belgian side will have budget limits, but I am not sure sharing ignorance of the team, then comparing Larin to Messi, is the logical way to proceed.

SIgma have a relationship with Genk so it might not be that outrageous. But I think they'd need to be in Europe competition for it to be worthwhile.

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'm gonna say it's going to be less, just because he's still relatively unproven at this point. If they can get 5 for him, it would be a lot IMO. 

? Unproven? He's 22 and has scored 17/14/ and is 6 in 6 so far in his third MLS season. Not to mention the kind of goals he's scored so far, at least at the MLS level he is proven.

For comparison, Maurice Edu went for $5M a decade ago, and Jozy albeit younger, but arguably less proven at that point, went for $10M. Honestly, $10M would be the highest, but he will 100% go for over $5M.

Curious so many want him to go for the Championship. It might have already been pinged around but I kinda look at/compare with Atiba who never played in England and still is top class. Personally, I don't think Larin will do well in England and would rather him go to the Netherlands or Germany. Or one of the leagues below for a top team who is getting into Europe every season.

14 hours ago, Havoc88 said:

? Unproven? He's 22 and has scored 17/14/ and is 6 in 6 so far in his third MLS season. Not to mention the kind of goals he's scored so far, at least at the MLS level he is proven.

For comparison, Maurice Edu went for $5M a decade ago, and Jozy albeit younger, but arguably less proven at that point, went for $10M. Honestly, $10M would be the highest, but he will 100% go for over $5M.

Unproven on a different level. Altidore was the top-scorer in the Eredivisie, yet he scored a single goal in the EPL. And that's league most scouts have heard of, not MLS, which is still a league for have-beens in the eyes of many (not entirely correct anymore). 

The examples you give, merely strengthen my point that any takers abroad would have to take a chance on him. 

On 2017-4-29 at 8:55 AM, maccaliam said:

I thought I remembered Altidore leaving MLS for 8 million to Villarreal. Admittedly my memory is pretty crap so I may have just made that up. 

On 2017-4-29 at 10:26 AM, Obinna said:

It was 10. I think he was younger also. He entered MLS at 17 and left after 2.5 seasons.

8 million or 10 million of what? USD, EUR or GBP?

On 29/04/2017 at 10:26 AM, Obinna said:

It was 10. I think he was younger also. He entered MLS at 17 and left after 2.5 seasons.

I think it was closer to 8m. Transfer Markt reports it as a 6.5m EURO move and the EURO was at 1.26 USD in 2006.

His move from AZ to Sunderland was interestingly for 10m EURO or 13.3m USD.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jozy-altidore/transfers/spieler/39378/transfer_id/89263

48 minutes ago, matty said:

I think it was closer to 8m. Transfer Markt reports it as a 6.5m EURO move and the EURO was at 1.26 USD in 2006.

His move from AZ to Sunderland was interestingly for 10m EURO or 13.3m USD.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jozy-altidore/transfers/spieler/39378/transfer_id/89263

Looks like it was 8 million USD, rising up to 10 million with performance bonuses. That is probably what has caused the confusion.

http://sbisoccer.com/2008/06/altidore-sold-t

U.S. national team forward Jozy Altidore has been sold to Spanish club Villarreal for a fee of $8 million, sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.

The New York Red Bulls confirmed that they have reached an agreement with Villarreal on the fee. Sources tell SBI that the fee is $8 million with a sell-on clause and performance bonuses that could increase the fee to $10 million.

Just now, Obinna said:

Looks like it was 8 million USD, rising up to 10 million with performance bonuses. That is probably what has caused the confusion.

http://sbisoccer.com/2008/06/altidore-sold-t

U.S. national team forward Jozy Altidore has been sold to Spanish club Villarreal for a fee of $8 million, sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.

The New York Red Bulls confirmed that they have reached an agreement with Villarreal on the fee. Sources tell SBI that the fee is $8 million with a sell-on clause and performance bonuses that could increase the fee to $10 million.

Yea saw that part but decided not to factor it i because it wasn't certain (also was looking at 06 not 08)

23 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea saw that part but decided not to factor it i because it wasn't certain (also was looking at 06 not 08)

Yeah and given that he went on loan on 3 separate occasions, i'm assuming he didn't hit those performance bonuses anyways.   

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah and given that he went on loan on 3 separate occasions, i'm assuming he didn't hit those performance bonuses anyways.   

True enough but back to Larin. I don't think a Championship-bound team like Middlebrough is going to 7-10 million Euro on Larin. They're going to be losing millions this off-season so it seems unlikely their actually going after him if they're competing with Benfica, Everton and Besiktas are watching him.

Regarding level of play, I still think Belgium is the right fit for now if he goes to a European regular side.

Edited by matty

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 8:03 AM, shamrock said:

Unproven on a different level. Altidore was the top-scorer in the Eredivisie, yet he scored a single goal in the EPL. And that's league most scouts have heard of, not MLS, which is still a league for have-beens in the eyes of many (not entirely correct anymore). 

The examples you give, merely strengthen my point that any takers abroad would have to take a chance on him. 

Well considering Larin's agent is connected to SEG it really makes no difference if scouts are randomly coming to watch MLS games or if they've "heard" of MLS - he is connected to good teams in top leagues in Europe and has no need to be scouted if he really wants a move.

No - the examples I give were two players who were less proven than Larin and played only a season and a bit in MLS when they went to Europe for $5/10M(ish) respectively. He is far move proven than both those players when they left for that fee, which is why will not be outrageous when he goes for a similar fee, or at least over $5M. 

Either way - we will find out soon enough. I would gather by his third season if he was staying in Orlando he would have resigned at this point, so it might be only a matter of time before we find out.

Considering he's not even getting 200K a year, buying off his still 2,5 yr contract won't be too hard. Less than a mil. He could even force his way out before a judge if he really wants to and he'd have good odds at it. Hope it doesn't go this way but it's possible. Kind of reminds me of the Camillo situation, MLS has got to start paying it's stars. Not just those who sign a DP contract, but also those worth one. 

52 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Considering he's not even getting 200K a year, buying off his still 2,5 yr contract won't be too hard. Less than a mil. He could even force his way out before a judge if he really wants to and he'd have good odds at it. Hope it doesn't go this way but it's possible. Kind of reminds me of the Camillo situation, MLS has got to start paying it's stars. Not just those who sign a DP contract, but also those worth one. 

There is contradicting evidence that his contract runs for another 2 and a half years. Some places say it is done this winter. I have heard people comment the contract has 2 year team options, but I have yet to see proof of this.

Guys if whatever team in Europe wants him they'll have to be willing to pay a substantial (6M+) transfer fee to MLS to get him. I don't think MLS would say no or hold this back from any player.

If they want to keep him, they'll offer him 1M+ and Larin will in the end decide where he wants to be regardless of contract.

3 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Guys if whatever team in Europe wants him they'll have to be willing to pay a substantial (6M+) transfer fee to MLS to get him. I don't think MLS would say no or hold this back from any player.

If they want to keep him, they'll offer him 1M+ and Larin will in the end decide where he wants to be regardless of contract.

I think MLS is willing to ignore that $6M if keeping Larin means more eyes on the TV and their website. They have spent much more than that to get attention. I think what Larin wants will maybe influence MLS to let him go.

The quote from Kries saying he signed a 5 year contract and implying the 2 extra option years comes in this article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-sp-orlando-city-pride-notebook-20170427-story.html

Edited by Ruffian

9 minutes ago, yothat said:

He should change leagues .. ready for the next level ... whereever that is in europe

In my opinion, definitely not where ever in Europe. Most leagues will be a lateral move or a step down. Top 5 league ( I am putting France in there since I know there will be debate ) or a team with a good chance at Champions league. Nothing lower.

So basically anything that isn't top 5 league in the world is considered a lateral move from MLS now...?

Edit: also I feel like if Larin did get picked up by a team in a top 5 league it probably will be one with higher chance of being relegated..

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

In my opinion, definitely not where ever in Europe. Most leagues will be a lateral move or a step down. Top 5 league ( I am putting France in there since I know there will be debate ) or a team with a good chance at Champions league. Nothing lower.

England Spain Germany Italy France Holland Belgium and arguably Turkey and China are better leagues than MLS imo.