Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

You worry too much. If he transfers to Everton or another team in the prem and he fails, he'll just sign a DP contract with LA FC. ?

You don't even need a wink there.  That's just a fact.. at this point he can go to Europe worry free because he'll be coming back to a DP deal if he fails.  

15 minutes ago, Addona said:

I love how I know going in that it will take me 0.4 seconds to encounter a factual error .... "scored twice in three matches", instead of "scored three times in two matches".  In isolation, no big deal, but it seems like TSN stories on soccer don't even bother to check the simplest, most easily verifiable, facts.

It also mentions his manager is Adrian Heath, who of course was fired during the 2016 season.

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

IMO, if Larin needs to be loaned out from the club he transfers to in order to get playing time, then he shouldn't be transferring to that club in the first place. He needs to go somewhere where he can get minutes. Like @Kent, the Doneil Henry transfer has really made me second guess moves to big clubs.

Even if Larin fails at Everton (or any other EPL/Bundesliga/Serie A/La Liga club), what it does is that it builds his resume which makes him attractive to other clubs. There are players that somehow keep getting signed because they were in the books for a 'big name' club.

Larin is still young ish that even if he doesn't succeed at EPL, he might be able to sign with another decent European club and work his way back up again. Yes, ideally we want Larin to succeed at Everton, but a move to Everton may pay off for him for a career in Europe down few years.

Having said that, I do want Everton (or whoever) to pay a big enough transfer fee for Larin so that they feel obliged to give Larin at least a decent shot at making the first team to make their money's worth. Getting Larin for cheap might make the club feel that he's a long shot and don't give him the proper chance to prove himself.

I'm good with wherever Larin ends up, as long as he's playing for a decent club and getting good mins in time for 2022 WCQ cycle, which is another 2 ish years down the line. 

As for Henry, he was a low risk, high potential payoff signing for West Ham. Who knows what could have happened if Henry didn't keep getting injured. 

Edited by Yohan

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

You don't even need a wink there.  That's just a fact.. at this point he can go to Europe worry free because he'll be coming back to a DP deal if he fails.  

You know it. Jozy paved the way for that double edged sword.

On 2017-03-23 at 3:31 PM, jpg75 said:

Read up on your European history man. My grandmother used to go watch those great Stade Reims teams visit FC Rouen back in the 50's. France has always been stronger than Portugal in football.

I always wanted to go see Saint Etienne for the same nostalgia.

Still, jpg75, you can't say that when Benfica was arguably the best team in Europe after R Madrid in the late 50s-early 60s. And had one of the world's greatest players.

I mean, it has to be pretty close. France had Kopa, who just died, a Stade player who went to Madrid after losing that first final. Portugal had Eusebio early 60s, first team to break the Madrid hegemony, played 5 E Cup finals that decade. Porto also have two European Cups.

France has a paltry record in European trophies, worse than the big two from Portugal: one European Cup, a Cup Winners, no Europea Leagues. They won the European Championship as a nation with Platini in 84, not exactly a pre-historical precedent. And speaking of the present, I'm trying to remember what happened last summer in the final.

I personally would like to see Clye in either of those leagues, both would be idea for him.

On 2017-03-23 at 7:43 PM, Obinna said:

Way more depth in France than Portugal. If I had to mix both leagues and rate the clubs based on recent history, it would go something like this:

1. PSG 

-----------------------------

Any team that can't hold onto a 4-0 first leg win should be permanently shoved under the big magic carpet of history and left to rot like old mice poop. Makes me laugh that you'd repeat their disgusting overrated status like this, PSG are a yuppie invention backed by huge money with no tradition in France, no soul, no connection to the neighbourhood they are named after (very pretentious), and no heart.

I will forever cherish our 6-1.

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Any team that can't hold onto a 4-0 first leg win should be permanently shoved under the big magic carpet of history and left to rot like old mice poop. Makes me laugh that you'd repeat their disgusting overrated status like this, PSG are a yuppie invention backed by huge money with no tradition in France, no soul, no connection to the neighbourhood they are named after (very pretentious), and no heart.

There`s no denying PSG are the closest thing Europe has that`s akin to a North American sports franchise.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your love Barça aside, you must admit they've been a top side for several years now. That one result doesn't invalidate my point. 

BTW, I was jumping up and down as much as the next man. I really like Barça!

I would personally be really psyched to see Larin at Everton. The team is already built to benefit his playing style, especially since Lukaku is often not fully taken advantage of and simply used as a poacher. I think he could really thrive at that club, and Everton has literally no other strikers to compete with Larin for playing time. He's also used to being that lone striker. Beyond that, Everton is my EPL team, so to see a Canadian head them up-dreams really can come true!

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Still, jpg75, you can't say that when Benfica was arguably the best team in Europe after R Madrid in the late 50s-early 60s. And had one of the world's greatest players.

Question for anyone more knowledgeable, but did Benfica "profit" from favouritism under the fascists the way Real purportedly did? Would that play a role in France's lesser results in European club competition in that era?

Edited by LSM

On 3/27/2017 at 0:08 PM, Obinna said:

Not that I put much stock in this, but the article also mentions Besiktas as a possible destination. How do people feel about that?

With the amount of ass he'll get over there, he'll like it wayyyy tooo much and it might kill his ambition to move elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

I just googled them. PSG still take the cake IMO. 

I think they both qualify for different reasons.  PSG for just appearing out of nowhere, replacing a team that used to be there, and buying their way to glory.  MK Dons for being the Phoenix Coyotes of footie.

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

Making a bit effort here to stay on topic (since I despise PSG, a team invented for the upper middle class elites in Paris to follow since Étoile was French communist party--and Racing was also too working class for them)....what I don't understand about Cyle is his work rate, since his strike rate is pretty good. I mean, it is not like he is old or out of shape. And true, many players have a low work rate and strike at a decent level, just today was listening to Real Madrid fans say this about Benzema, who has been there for ages and has a goal every two games strike rate. But does not defend and is relatively lazy off the ball.

Thing is, why would you choose to be that kind of player if you are young and apparently are keen on learning? We've seen it for Canada too, very little participation in play, which is his game, and poor striking, which is not his game. Given a choice, I'd rather have a striker with the fitness to press and be constantly moving off the ball, unless  you have so many creative mids feeding in you can have the luxury of not having your target do any more than strike.

So for the question is: where is Larin most going to grow as a player from now until age 26, his next 3 year contract?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Making a bit effort here to stay on topic (since I despise PSG, a team invented for the upper middle class elites in Paris to follow since Étoile was French communist party--and Racing was also too working class for them)....what I don't understand about Cyle is his work rate, since his strike rate is pretty good. I mean, it is not like he is old or out of shape. And true, many players have a low work rate and strike at a decent level, just today was listening to Real Madrid fans say this about Benzema, who has been there for ages and has a goal every two games strike rate. But does not defend and is relatively lazy off the ball.

Thing is, why would you choose to be that kind of player if you are young and apparently are keen on learning? We've seen it for Canada too, very little participation in play, which is his game, and poor striking, which is not his game. Given a choice, I'd rather have a striker with the fitness to press and be constantly moving off the ball, unless  you have so many creative mids feeding in you can have the luxury of not having your target do any more than strike.

So for the question is: where is Larin most going to grow as a player from now until age 26, his next 3 year contract?

My hope is Benfica. Even if he goes on loan it will be somewhere decent where he can pad his stats.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not sure how much you've seen of him lately but Larin has grown a ton over the last 2 years and does hustle a good amount. In fact Kreis went out of his way to talk about his hustle. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/18/newfound-versatility-key-larins-lethal-start-season%3Famp