Cyle Larin

shermanator

TFC was lucky to come away with the win last night and really didn't have an answer to be handle Larin (unless "hope he mis-hits" was the strategy). One-on-one no-one could physically handle him. I think most teams in the league are having that problem. What you could really see from my vantage point (at the centre-line, in the west stands in 223) was how excellent Larin was in term of the runs he was making and the positioning and timing. For me it's a huge improvement over the last time I saw him play live. We just need someone to give him ball when he makes those runs for the national team. Thankfully as the Gold Cup is not in Toronto (where he appears to be snakebitten - i don't think he's ever scored at BMO) but, for one game at least, in NY (where he scores for fun), I think we've got a good chance of breaking out 6 game goalless Gold Cup drought (which is actually 10 games if you go by goals scored from the run of play). That's an extremely low bar I am setting for Gold Cup happiness, but then it wasn't really me that set it.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Careful Carl, you're going to upset the fan boys!

Stand by for a deluge of esoteric and subjective stats like "expected goals". The only stat I pay attention to for a forward is balls in the back of the frigging net!

I am a fan of Larin's, my post wasn't really meant to be negative, just making a fun comparison about the misses based on last night's game! Vanney's nephew and Hagglund did get the better of him in many 1 on 1 battles, he just kept coming back and had enough chances to win the game on another night!

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Vanney's nephew...is that Zaveletta or Delgado, I can never remember.  

Zavaleta. Although if Delgado had been Vanney's nephew, he may have disowned him for his "coverage" of Kaka on the (to keep this post on point) Larin-set-up goal that Orlando scored.

Edited by Gian-Luca

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Vanney's nephew...is that Zaveletta or Delgado, I can never remember.  

It's whichever American TFC player is the poorest on a particular night.

I replied to a reddit poster about the Larin meme regarding his performances for Canada. I figured I would copy and paste it here:

Cause I like stats I will respond. Goal per game is an interesting stat. Usually it's goal per 90'. Anyway, almost every major player has a worse goal/90 or goal/game or minutes/goal stat internationally.

minutes/goal of the top 5 players in the world

Ronaldo - Club (109), Country (153)

Messi - Club (93), Country (160)

Neymar - Club (150), Country (124)

Suarez - Club (122), Country (158)

Bale - Club (251), Country (211)

Larin - Club (134), Country (226)

Although he isn't doing great, he is actually doing better than Messi ratio wise (.58 to .59). Ronaldo and Suarez are around the 170 mark where as Neymar and Bale (heavily effected by playing at a very young age as a LB) are better for their countries. All 5 play on countries ranked in the Top 20 nations. Larin plays on the 108th ranked country.

And this is why it is a meme. A simplistic tale. Sure his strike rate is lower for his country, a) most footballers strike rate for their countries tend to be lower and B) he plays with a really shitty national team.

Not only that, Larin has a ridiculously small sample size compared to the guys above. He has played 20 games. Neymar has 77, Ronaldo 138.

Larin is currently on course to have one of the best goal scoring records (he doesn't even take our penalties) for Canada. He currently trumps our all time leading goalscorers (DeRo - 292) strike rate. Sure he isn't Ali Gerba style ineffective for club, crazy effective for country; but he is undoubtedly good for Canada.

On 2017-05-12 at 9:46 PM, PhillyCanuck said:

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

Club like that would play him definitely. That's lot of money for a small club in Belgium. 

Yeah but it's piss all money for arguably the leagues top striker and definitely their top prospect. I'm guessing MLS would probably have gotten a substantial portion of any re-sale. 

Edited by A_Gagne

28 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Ha! Just came across this rather interesting site:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/marktwerte/wettbewerb/GB1

And here is their valuation of Larin: £2.13m, which is clearly a little low given that a higher offer has recently been made:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/schnellsuche/ergebnis/schnellsuche?query=Cyle+Larin&x=10&y=15

For comparison, based on my post above, they have Conor Washington at £1.7m, which I think is pretty close (maybe a tad high -- I'd probably put him at £1.5m).

You haven't heard of transfermarkt? Many of their values are known to be off

Don't want to totally shit disturb or anything, but if those figures on T-markt are anywhere accurate, Cavallini scoring at Peñarol is probably worth more than Larin for a similar European destination. 

In principle, Larin's youth is what has to make him interesting, but it is also what raises his profile as "unproven".

But just so I am not read wrong, I think he has to be worth more than 3-4 to the right club and, hey, let the bidding war begin.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

His salary doesn't warrant a really high transferfee. The fee is just a compensation for a club  for breaking a contract, so if the contract isn't that much, the fee isn't either (unless there's a bidding war among potential buyers, but than the "unproven" factor comes into play). 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't want to totally shit disturb or anything, but if those figures on T-markt are anywhere accurate, Cavallini scoring at Peñarol is probably worth more than Larin for a similar European destination. 

In principle, Larin's youth is what has to make him interesting, but it is also what raises his profile as "unproven".

But just so I am not read wrong, I think he has to be worth more than 3-4 to the right club and, hey, let the bidding war begin.

This is a great look at perspective.

When you look at recent past goal scorers who scored/performed/stood out in the Uruguayan Primera division and you compare them to the recent past goal scorers who scored/performed/stood out in the MLS who aren't DP's, and theres an argument to be made.

But Larin has been ripping it since his first professional year. Could Cavalini be a later bloomer? Transfers will tell.