FIFA rankings - why they are important and how to beat the system

masster

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Has FIFA even publicized how they will run the World Cup draw?

For all we know they go back to doing a 'region' based draw like they used to.

Also how are they going to handle the Intercontinental playoffs? Do those spots go directly into Pot 4?

I guess I could google this myself but I'm being lazy.

But I also wonder if due to this pandemic, how many fans can travel to Qatar for the 32 teams that qualify? Or what kind of restrictions will be in place? Because I'm sure fans will have to be vaccinated to attend games and will have to wear masks and what not 

10 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

The last game of qualifying for all regions is March 30. 

Thursday March 31, FIFA will release the World Rankings.  Also on the same day, they will release the teams slotted in Pots 1 to 4.  It will be based on the World Rankings NOT by regions.  This excludes four teams who qualify for Inter-continental playoffs.

Exceptions: Qatar (Host) is in Pot 1 ... Inter-continental winners will be labeled as IC1 and IC2 in Pot 4 regardless of the world rankings.  At this point, it is not known which playoffs winner gets labelled IC1 or IC2 for AFC-CONMEBOL winner and CONCACAF-OFC winner.  I expect this to be announced on March 31.

Friday April 1 is the World Cup Draw held at Qatar in Euro prime time, which means afternoon / late mornings for us, Canadians.

Will be curious to see how they respect the regional requirements/restrictions for the groups for the draw if they just assign to the pots the unknown winnner of two intercontinental sides.  

for example,  what if the winner of 5th place south american versus the place 5th place asia side turns out to the be the South american side and that teams is already slotted in pool with either Bra or Arg?  The same could happen with the Concacaf 4th place team? 

Edited by Free kick

Eh it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

You can just assumine the CONCACAF/OFC playoff as CONCACAF4 since there's no OFC team to be in conflict with anyways.  The AFC/CONMEBOL one can't be drawn with either confederation which is a touch inconvienent but there's enough CONCACAF/CAF etc for it to not be a huge issue.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

The first simulator try and this is what I got. Canada in pot 3:

Spain

Germany

Canada

Australia

The second try Canada in pot 4

England 

Denmark

Egypt

Canada

Which outcome would you prefer?

Definitely the second option.  But we are still better off in pot 3

Edited by Free kick

Someone might want to double check my math, but combined with the Australia-Oman draw today, this means Canada would be at:

Win: 1497.83 (33rd)

Draw: 1485.33 (36th)

Loss: 1472.83 (38th)

I think this can all move +/- 1 depending on results of Egypt-Cameroon in AFCON. This means regardless of what happens tomorrow, we'll be officially at our highest FIFA rank ever when the rankings are released.

2 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Someone might want to double check my math, but combined with the Australia-Oman draw today, this means Canada would be at:

Win: 1497.83 (33rd)

Draw: 1485.33 (36th)

Loss: 1472.83 (38th)

I think this can all move +/- 1 depending on results of Egypt-Cameroon in AFCON. This means regardless of what happens tomorrow, we'll be officially at our highest FIFA rank ever when the rankings are released.

This is correct.  

For AFCON

• If we win, Egypt passes us if they beat Cameroon, Cameroon needs to win AFCON to pass us
  • If we draw, either Egypt or Cameroon will pass us depending on who wins their match

Optimal AFCON outcome is Senegal over Cameroon.

I hate to steer this away from Pot 3 talk, but the CONCACF rankings still exist and are important for the upcoming(?) Nations League.

Canada pushing up on USA. If Canada can catch up before the end of March we may, theoretically, get an easier group draw and possibly hosting rights (yeah right) for a semi-final.

Thinking longer term this may finally force a Gold. Cup draw that is not pre-determined. I can't remember, but the 2021 Gold Cup may have corrected this already.

image.thumb.png.c7ffca44b0d874873db5655bcaabc6e0.png

The CONCACAF index is curious.  I have always been of the assumption (with literally zero information) that they will do a joint Gold Cup in '23/'25 (Canada/Mexico each host a group, US host the other two and then the knockouts are all in the US).

So based on that, you would have a 'fixed' draw to ensure that the hosts are in their own country in the group stage, and therefore they can set it up for the Mexico/USA final.  As unlikely as I think it would be, would be interested to see what happens if Canada ever tops that thing.

17 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

The bing link that if you click it brings you to another site? No it isn't lol

ROTFL...wow, so snippy,aren't you ?  If you really take the time to look in the link under news, you will see it. 

No need to bring people down, just providing information I know I read it somewhere.  Instead of being negative, help others provide information.  Contribute and help others, not bring others down.

P.S. Where's YOUR source for April 3 draw ?

Move along, not dealing with your negativity.  Good Day !

4 hours ago, ardsa said:

I hate to steer this away from Pot 3 talk, but the CONCACF rankings still exist and are important for the upcoming(?) Nations League.

Canada pushing up on USA. If Canada can catch up before the end of March we may, theoretically, get an easier group draw and possibly hosting rights (yeah right) for a semi-final.

Thinking longer term this may finally force a Gold. Cup draw that is not pre-determined. I can't remember, but the 2021 Gold Cup may have corrected this already.

image.thumb.png.c7ffca44b0d874873db5655bcaabc6e0.png

I don't want an easy Nations League group.  Grenada is in League A!  Yuck

4 hours ago, ardsa said:

The 2021 Gold Cup was the first time the draw was not pre-determined (i.e. rigged) to ensure a Mexico - US final. Of course, it still worked out that way but had we drawn or beat the US in our group match they would have been playing Mexico in the semis instead 

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Now that we are moving up the Ranks in FIFA I am hoping  this will lead to bigger crowds at CPL games, More awareness towards the game,  Most importantly More Private Sector money coming and it being spent right.

and more thing Pissing off all the Don Cherry type of sports fan I have to put up with at work who still bash the sport like if its some deadly virus.

2 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

ROTFL...wow, so snippy,aren't you ?  If you really take the time to look in the link under news, you will see it. 

No need to bring people down, just providing information I know I read it somewhere.  Instead of being negative, help others provide information.  Contribute and help others, not bring others down.

P.S. Where's YOUR source for April 3 draw ?

Move along, not dealing with your negativity.  Good Day !

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/0271-1418c37e08e1-9c223aeae6cb-1000/

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

Now that we are moving up the Ranks in FIFA I am hoping  this will lead to bigger crowds at CPL games, More awareness towards the game,  Most importantly More Private Sector money coming and it being spent right.

Well we are now in a golden generation when it comes to Canadian football and if we qualify for Qatar, then the greater the interest of football in this country as a whole. But also greater interest in the CPL as a league, as a whole. But also greater interest in overall football development from youth level all the way up to senior level, in both men's and women's programs. It also helps that if we qualify for Qatar on top of co hosting in 2026 with Mexico and USA, then yes Canada we might just have football ️ take over as our new national sport instead of hockey or basketball. Let that sink in.