FIFA rankings - why they are important and how to beat the system

masster

@maplebanana

Btw We could do worse than a home and away friendly window against the Ticos this September. Preps both teams for the QF round, which is also home and away. It especially helps us playing away down there. Less for them because there isn't really a Canada like away match awaiting them, but there is still some value for them there I like to think.

Those of you who have been following along know I have been keeping track of the sum of ranking points for each confederation. This caused me to notice that 3 teams from OFC (Tonga, Samoa, and American Samoa) are all not shown in the latest rankings. The reasons this happens according to FIFA is that they have "not played at least one match during the last 48 months or not having played at least five matches against officially ranked teams". For all 3 their last games were the 2019 Pacific Games.

In terms of CONCACAF's sum of points, 95.99 points were gained by CONCACAF in the July rankings (including Gold Cup), and 27.42 points were gained in the June rankings (including Nations League). That's a bit better than in 2021 where in the month where NL and GC ranking changes were released there was a gain of 109.91 points. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The latest CONCACAF rankings are out:

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

For reference, the FIFA rankings are here:

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id14079

Honduras and ES gained 42 & 38 points respectively while Guatemala only added 2 seems strange especially after the GC. Belgium, Croatia & Morocco at #5,6 & 14. Confirming we walked into the Lion's den at the WC. The US & Mexico at #11 & 12??. Playing in Concacaf at home has helped with their rankings. Mexico effectively plays in front of a home crowd in the USA

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The latest CONCACAF rankings are out:

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

For reference, the FIFA rankings are here:

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id14079

This whole time, I've been focused on getting to 3rd so that we could avoid playing the US, in the US, in the CNL SF. But that was based on the assumption that they'd be 1st. Forgot to account for them phoning in the Gold Cup.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Jamaica are going to break into the Top 50 sooner than later. When was the last time CONCACAF had 6 teams in the top 50? For a confederation that's widly regarded to be the weakest (Oceania aside), having 6 top-50 teams would be a sign of progress.

I got curious so I checked out some other confederations to see how many top 50 teams they have:

• AFC right now has just four teams in the top 50, although all four are in the top 30
  • CONCACAF as mentioned has five teams in the top 50, with two of the top 15, but none of the remanders in top 40.
  • CAF has nine teams in the top 50, for me they are 3rd strongest behind...
  • CONEMBOL, which has seven of ten teams top 50 (and nine of ten Top 60), and...
  • UEFA, which has 25 of 55 teams in the top 50

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Looks like Jamaica are going to break into the Top 50 sooner than later. When was the last time CONCACAF had 6 teams in the top 50? For a confederation that's widly regarded to be the weakest (Oceania aside), having 6 top-50 teams would be a sign of progress.

I got curious so I checked out some other confederations to see how many top 50 teams they have:

• AFC right now has just four teams in the top 50, although all four are in the top 30
  • CONCACAF as mentioned has five teams in the top 50, with two of the top 15, but none of the remanders in top 40.
  • CAF has nine teams in the top 50, for me they are 3rd strongest behind...
  • CONEMBOL, which has seven of ten teams top 50 (and nine of ten Top 60), and...
  • UEFA, which has 25 of 55 teams in the top 50

It would be interesting to see how the current ELO ratings are as I find them much more accurate, but unfortunately far less important.

• 4 weeks later...