FIFA rankings - why they are important and how to beat the system

masster

17 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

Football rankings: World Cup qualification simulations (5 February 2022) (football-rankings.info)

This website has recently released the latest simulations and surprising has Canada in pot 3 with 29.51%.  It helps that we have won all matches in the last window and on a 6 game winning streak.

I couldn’t figure out if the Pot predictions include simulations of the remaining qualifiers and known friendlies that will adjust FIFA points leading up to the March ranking, or do they just use current relative rankings combined with the probability of qualifying?

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

I couldn’t figure out if the Pot predictions include simulations of the remaining qualifiers and known friendlies that will adjust FIFA points leading up to the March ranking, or do they just use current relative rankings combined with the probability of qualifying?

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 1.17.49 PM.png

Another upside if we can crack top 30, makes it even easier for UK work permits.  Players would need to appear in 60% of games instead of 70% to auto-qualify.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

image.png.410ae34afaaf617de80a5d4b78be375d.png

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

3 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Senegal up to 18th, Egypt stay at 34th.

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 4.48.24 PM.png

Ooooh. Canada are on 1497 as well. Exciting! If Egypt qualify, they'll get more from their wins over Senegal than we will from ours (though we have three remaining, them two). Hopefully it's merely two draws and aggregate. It'll be tight! But aside from points. What great viewing Senegal / Egypt will be - can they get revenge?!

On 2/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, TOcanadafan said:

I think the Pot predictions part of this table are completely out of touch with reality, as they should be.  No one table could possibly relate all the combinations.

For example, one of Senegal or Egypt will qualify.  Senegal will be 100% be ahead of Canada...Egypt, maybe.  But both sit behind Canada in the potting ranking.  Also, Ecuador? gets put in Pot3 as well?  And Italy is in Pot 3?  No, this is not a good predictor of the Pots at all.

Edit:  Ahh...I see that potting %s are listed in final 3 columns, so the ranking is far from absolute.  Senegal is ahead of Canada for Pot 3...Ecuador has no chnace for Pot 3, and neither does Italy.  My bad.  So yes, the table is trying it's best to gauge odds including...so maybe 30% Canada Pot3 could be ok.

Edited by eramosat
my dumb arrogance

8 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Another upside if we can crack top 30, makes it even easier for UK work permits.  Players would need to appear in 60% of games instead of 70% to auto-qualify.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

image.png.410ae34afaaf617de80a5d4b78be375d.png

Out of curiousity, what matches make up the appearances for the percentage? I assume friendlies are excluded. What about a match against Martinique for instance? Would that count as it would be a Nations League/Gold Cup match even if not against a FIFA sanctioned national side?

If the intercontinental playoff teams are in Pot 4, when it comes time to draw Pot 4, I wonder if they allocate them first before drawing the rest of the pot. For the CONMEBOL/AFC matchup, you could allocate them to the first available group that doesn't already have a CONMEBOL or an AFC team in it (there might be a UEFA/UEFA/CAF group, or a UEFA/CONCACAF/UEFA group, UEFA/CONCACAF/CAF, etc.) If you leave it to luck of the draw, CONMEBOL/AFC might not be drawn until Pot G. If Pot G already has a CONMEBOL team in it and Pot H already has an AFC team in it, then you could be in a mess on the geographic restrictions. They could potentially avoid all of that by trying to put the intercontinental matchups in a group where there won't be any conflicts regardless of who wins each playoff, assuming such groups exist by the time Pot 3 is done.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, Kent said:

Here's a fun little thing. Here is a map of the world, with every country that was ranked ahead of Canada 7 years ago coloured blue. We were ranked 120th.

image.png.00809a028e145042ab473d36d2bf5c5b.png

Here is the same map for today, ranked 51st.

image.png.4564611aa6ef0f4ab8a4e998a95b5867.png

If you are curious or want to play around, here is the website where I made the maps. This has the countries filled in from the 2nd map.

http://www.amcharts.com/visited_countries/#AT,BE,HR,CZ,DK,FR,DE,GR,HU,IE,IT,NL,NO,PL,PT,RO,RU,RS,SK,ES,SE,CH,TR,UA,GB,CR,MX,US,AR,BR,CL,CO,PY,PE,UY,VE,DZ,EG,MA,NG,SN,TN,IR,JP,QA,KR,AU

Back when I posted the above pictures someone mentioned if we ever pass Russia it would make this map look a lot better. Well, now we have! We have also passed other big countries like Australia, Algeria, and Egypt and others since the last map I posted. Here is the map with the 32 countries ahead of us. Note that this map uses the UK instead of splitting up England, Scotland, etc. So this map actually has MORE filled in countries than should be, since we are ahead of Scotland and Northern Ireland! This minor detail used to not matter at all when I made these maps because all 4 countries in the UK were well ahead of us, but that's where we are at now!

image.png.cf55d6c083947c66815ea7533d2ea64a.png