Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Some people have talked on the forum about there being a labour agreement between Germany and Canada but not me. I was born in Germany but that does not get you citizenship and Germany is a super hard country to get citizenship, residency permits and work permits from in my experience though possibly it is easier for soccer players. It is possible things have changed since I lived there but I am skeptical that it is much easier. I know our government has been negotiating some free trade agreements with the EU but I do not know of anything special with Germany. I Googled it and did not come up with anything. I haven't seen anyone who mentioned some agreement with Germany ever post any evidence that this existed but if someone has it please post it. The only difference I see in Germany is that unlike England it does not require the country of origin to be at a certain FIFA ranking and clubs are pretty ambitious throughout the pyramid so there are foreigners playing even at lower levels. 

This is weird. I am almost certain it was you, but maybe it was YNWA. I believe what was posted was earlier this decade when we had a bunch of Canadians in Germany. The words reciprocating and labour clearly stood out, which is why i have continued to use them.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Free kick said:

We have never had this kind of agreement with the US where there is some $600 billion dolllars in trade between the two countries.  I would be very surprised if this kind of deal existed with Germany. Essentially, this would mean no borders between the two countries given that labour mobility is the last frontier and biggest barrier of any bi-lateral commercial agreements. 

ps.:  there isnt even labour mobility between provinces within canada when comes to many sectors.  

In certain fields (ex. engineering, finance, medicine), there is an agreement with the US and Mexico via NAFTA for free movement of professionals. It's called the TN visa, and it's what allowed me to work down here in silicon valley. And what allowed an American colleague to work in Canada at my last job. 

And I've heard the 'Canadian as domestic in Germany' argument before, but I thought that was just what the DFB agreed to, not the immigration department of the German government. 

Like jpg75, I too have read in the past (on this forum) that Canadians do not count as foreigners in Germany. Since we seem to always have a fair bit of players in B3 and I had no way to dispute it, I just assumed that this was true.

Grizzly's, Cheeta's and Shakmur's clarifications are interesting. In any case, Germany does seem to be a welcoming place for our players and I am more than happy about that, regardless of how that can come about - and thrilled that Davies is going there. Now if we could only get a few other players to make the jump to B2...

2 hours ago, RS said:

The trend seems to be MLS academy kids getting plucked by European clubs before they sign first team deals, thus no transfer fee. Players like Weston McKennie and Timothy Weah come to mind, or Michael Petrasso (if you want a Canadian example).

It's the worldwide trend. English clubs are poaching youth players from everywhere, it's a lot cheaper that way.

Unless, and we've seen this before, they let the player go and later buy him back (which is fairly unbelievable to me but still). 

And regarding Germany, I don't think it's a labour agreement, but the DFB doesn't have rules in place to keep mediocre foreigners out (like the Netherlands and England for instance). 

31 minutes ago, David C. said:

Like jpg75, I too have read in the past (on this forum) that Canadians do not count as foreigners in Germany. Since we seem to always have a fair bit of players in B3 and I had no way to dispute it, I just assumed that this was true.

Grizzly's, Cheeta's and Shakmur's clarifications are interesting. In any case, Germany does seem to be a welcoming place for our players and I am more than happy about that, regardless of how that can come about - and thrilled that Davies is going there. Now if we could only get a few other players to make the jump to B2...

I didn't think Germany counted foreigners at all?

Since the 2006/07 season the following applies:

• Each German club must have at least twelve German licensed professionals under contract.
  • There is no limit on non-UEFA foreign players.
  • As of the 2008/09 season, each club must employ at least eight players who have come through German academies. Of these eight local players, at least four must have come through the relevant club’s own academy.

I'm told the Alphonso Davies transfer deal is worth a guaranteed $13.45 million (11.5 million Euros), w/ performance incentives that could push the deal to more than $21 million, AND a 15% sell-on clause (percentage of any future Bayern sale of Davies) #MLS #FCBayern #vwfc

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/1022193529047719936

4 minutes ago, Ivan said:

That second last sentence ought to get people's back up.  Mine included.

Actually I enjoy the comparison. As noted elsewhere we have now come full circle. Davies is a capped Canadian who loves his country and will be great for recruiting for the CMNT.  Let him play at the highest level and earn $$$$, this kid looks like the real deal in a way "The Whore" never was.

15 minutes ago, ted said:

Actually I enjoy the comparison. As noted elsewhere we have now come full circle. Davies is a capped Canadian who loves his country and will be great for recruiting for the CMNT.  Let him play at the highest level and earn $$$$, this kid looks like the real deal in a way "The Whore" never was.

You can be pissed at OH, but I don't think you can claim he was not the real deal.  Given where he played and his performance at the World Cup. 

When was the last time a true Canadian made the front page of Kicker? 

Weird feeling being a Voyageur right now...I think it is called "Proud".

25.07., 21:11
Alphonso Davies

19-Millionen-Deal: Davies besteht Medizincheck

Die Jagd nach jungen Talenten wird im weltweiten Wettbewerb immer schwieriger. Umso mehr freute sich jetzt der FC Bayern München darüber, dass Alphonso Davies seine Unterschrift unter einen langfristigen Vertrag gesetzt hat. Allerdings wird der 17-Jährige erst im Januar in München erwartet.

What a rise. Congrats to Alphonso. Looking forward to his farewell tour with the whitecaps and hoping they use some of that money this window.

Great day for Canadian soccer and hopefully just the start of things to come from Davies. Hard work and a finding a ton of luck starts here. 

18 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Anyone know why he wears 67?

Maybe it was the number he was given when joining the Whitecaps and just stuck with it

Also on a side note

I remember someone stating that Pulisic was miles ahead of Davies and I mentioned that we would see what happens in one years time. Now Davies has completed step one of joining the better team, can he break into the squad as quick as Pulisic though?

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

Lol oh boy this transfer is putting a ton of pressure on the USSF.

Damn though that youth club is going to be huge.. 500k to 1 million or more? 

If Ives Galarcep's $$ figures are correct than the solidarity payment (5%) would be $875 000 Canadian. I believe this money is then split up for every year of his life up until 21. Ages 12, 13, 14 are all worth 5% of the $875 000, so somewhere around $44K per season.  Anyone know where he was during this time? 

I just saw the news and with Alphonso going to Bayern Munich officially with the transfer going through all I have to say is how this will do wonders for not just his career but for the whole Men's national team program as a whole. With this move hopefully it will inspire future Canadian men's national team players to actually want to play abroad like how Alphonso is gonna. Hell, even Bayern Munich legend and now Chicago Fire star Bastian Schweinsteiger is even applauding this Davies move. Bastian's words basically praising the kid saying he has great potential with his speed/technique and if he works hard especially more on the defensive end then he will for sure make it in Europe.

1 minute ago, Tg11 said:

I just saw the news and with Alphonso going to Bayern Munich officially with the transfer going through all I have to say is how this will do wonders for not just his career but for the whole Men's national team program as a whole. With this move hopefully it will inspire future Canadian men's national team players to actually want to play abroad like how Alphonso is gonna. Hell, even Bayern Munich legend and now Chicago Fire star Bastian Schweinsteiger is even applauding this Davies move. Bastian's words basically praising the kid saying he has great potential with his speed/technique and if he works hard especially more on the defensive end then he will for sure make it in Europe.

Nothing gets by you tg11. 

Archived