Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Above all else what an absolute gem of a human being this young man seems to be.  His Instagram story before this performance he was at a teenage birthday party just as a normal kid despite all the talk and headlines and then he does that and just says “I love playing football”.  

This is what we always dreamed of.  The day we would have a homegrown “Crosby” footballer who was a level headed person and loved this country.  So so happy for him.

I’m watching the replay on TSN now and it’s stunning how much more athletic and skilled Davies is compared to anyone else on the field.  

He’s just so dangerous out there that the opposition has to be aware of him at all times or risk what happened to Minnesota in the 2nd half.

Moving to Bayern will get the most out of him.  One thing I noticed is that Vancouver plays so much longball that he never would develop great possession skills if he stayed there much longer.  Bayern will hone those skills and that discipline combined with his athleticism could make an unbeatable combination.  

I think the finished transfer gave Davies a whole load of confidence for the previous game. Couldn’t catch the game but those higlights were extrodinary 

3 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

I watched the game at the stadium. Incredible stuff. Davies is head and shoulders above the rest of the players. As an aside Henry had a great game too, he won’t be in the MLS long before back to Europe. 

henry and dejong and tiebert all had solid games. (As did Reyna, but he ain't Canadian.) DeJong has become so reliable at the back, and his crossing is likely the best on the squad. 

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I think the finished transfer gave Davies a whole load of confidence for the previous game. Couldn’t catch the game but those higlights were extrodinary 

haha he was being a kid. In the first half he was trying things he ought not to but as soon as he settled back into his game he flourished. Also that move he pulled on his first goal is something I've never seen him do before but seems to be another skill move in his arsenal now.. kind of like his Zidane spin move, I'd never seen him do before July 1 against Colorado but now he seems to have it part of his game. Just keeps adding things every week.

Also, Davies was good at the start but if you really want an idea of how much he's improved check out his 2016/2017 highlight package. Shows those flashes of skill that we all loved and wanted to get into our National team, but far behind the player he is today.

Watching that game I'm glad Davies is staying through the season to provide us with crazy highlights but also glad it isn't any longer than that.  There are things he can get away with in MLS with his insane speed he really shouldn't be getting away with.  They are youthful exuberance now, they would become bad habits in a few years time.

He has improved massively in his time in Vancouver but tactically, in terms of soccer intelligence and breaking down a difficult defense, there is still another level to get to.  He needs next-level coaching, training, and competition, the sooner the better.  

Wow is he fun to watch though.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Quite an article, indeed. Summarizes the whole Canadian picture and our most recent and relevant past very nicely.

The writer lived in Winnipeg when he worked for Fox Sports World Canada. So he would know the history.

15 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Watching that game I'm glad Davies is staying through the season to provide us with crazy highlights but also glad it isn't any longer than that.  There are things he can get away with in MLS with his insane speed he really shouldn't be getting away with.  They are youthful exuberance now, they would become bad habits in a few years time.

He has improved massively in his time in Vancouver but tactically, in terms of soccer intelligence and breaking down a difficult defense, there is still another level to get to.  He needs next-level coaching, training, and competition, the sooner the better.  

Wow is he fun to watch though.

Agree with everything you say. He can do these things in MLS and turn the league into a videogame but a lot of those double touches, 360 spin moves won't fly when it comes to elite European competition.

He is fun to watch. He reminds me of Ruud Gullit, a tall, fast player with incredible dribbling skills.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Agree with everything you say. He can utilize those moves in MLS and turn the league into a videogame but a lot of those double touches, 360 spin moves won't fly when it comes to elite European competition.

He is fun to watch. He reminds me of Ruud Gullit, a tall, fast player with incredible dribbling skills.

Yeah in Bundesliga dat won't fly at all going against top flight talent day in day out and it especially won't fly if he try any of dat in Champions League assuming he get to play Champions League games for Bayern next season

He’s toying with the league right now - its like over the past few weeks he’s realized he’s the man.  I just don’t want to see him hurt, it’s okay to pull a nutmeg once in a while but don’t got all Neymar at Santos and get snapped.

Just now, Keegan said:

He’s toying with the league right now - its like over the past few weeks he’s realized he’s the man.  I just don’t want to see him hurt, it’s okay to pull a nutmeg once in a while but don’t got all Neymar at Santos and get snapped.

Well what you expect when he makin' dat paper with dat big contract he just signed with Bayern Munich. He big time now and he don't even got to play the rest of dis season but he is and I can respect dat especially because he wants to show Bayern fans just what they in for next season. 

1 minute ago, Tg11 said:

Well what you expect when he makin' dat paper with dat big contract he just signed with Bayern Munich. He big time now and he don't even got to play the rest of dis season but he is and I can respect dat especially because he wants to show Bayern fans just what they in for next season. 

Wait wait wait.

Do you work at Benny’s now?  You gat dat right. 

Something more to add to the legend. Over the past 2 weeks, Davies flew to D.C., mtl, Van, Edmonton, Philadelphia, Van.. dealt with everything, only trained twice and then went out and did that Saturday night. 

You can go back and ive always said it. Ive looked at Davies from the first time i watched him with a critical eye. If i had a buck for every "fast" "athletic" player who is totally overrated and never really gets better because they dont have the capacity to add essential elements to their game. But Davies there is something different, there has always been a bit of magic to what he does, its not what, its how.. its hard to explain. On saturday night he looked like an adult playing against 17 yr olds, think about that. I honestly believe there is nothing this kid cant accomplish in football. I think he's gonna step right in to Bayern. Im a believer 

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Wait wait wait.

Do you work at Benny’s now?  You gat dat right. 

Don't even kno what dat means but whateva

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Something more to add to the legend. Over the past 2 weeks, Davies flew to D.C., mtl, Van, Edmonton, Philadelphia, Van.. dealt with everything, only trained twice and then went out and did that Saturday night. 

You can go back and ive always said it. Ive looked at Davies from the first time i watched him with a critical eye. If i had a buck for every "fast" "athletic" player who is totally overrated and never really gets better because they dont have the capacity to add essential elements to their game. But Davies there is something different, there has always been a bit of magic to what he does, its not what, its how.. its hard to explain. On saturday night he looked like an adult playing against 17 yr olds, think about that. I honestly believe there is nothing this kid cant accomplish in football. I think he's gonna step right in to Bayern. Im a believer 

Well obviously he got talent as a 17 year old and he is the most talked about 17 year old ever in Canadian men's soccer history which say a lot. Howeva, I'm looking forward to seein him play for Bayern since dat contract starts in January of 2019. But also we kno dat once he enters the Bundesliga the Pulisic vs Davies debate begins ya feel me?

Archived