Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Just now, Keegan said:

Nothing gets by you tg11. 

Yeah sure what the fuck ever but yeah anyway back to Alphonso Davies though to be praised by a German star like that especially someone like Schweinsteiger that in my book it just doesn't get any better than that.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Also, it's going to be cool to look at our national team and see that one of our players plays on a top Europe team... Haha

This kind of already happened with Doneil Henry, if you consider West Ham a top club. I hope he actually gets regular playing time eventually.

20 hours ago, admin said:

You can be pissed at OH, but I don't think you can claim he was not the real deal.  Given where he played and his performance at the World Cup. 

I can and will since I am using "real deal" to refer to someone contributing to the National Team and Canadian soccer in general. Alphonso Davies has the potential for a long career and a significant impact for the next two World Cups at least and inspiring Canadian kids for the next decade and beyond. OH had a short, undistinguished career for England and is now a footnote in history.

20 hours ago, matty said:

Can people shut up about OH already? Get out of the past and live in the goddamn present

Yes please! 

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

This kind of already happened with Doneil Henry, if you consider West Ham a top club. I hope he actually gets regular playing time eventually.

Outside of the EPL bubble that consumes Canada, Besiktas was much bigger than West Ham over the past 5 years.

I just watched a clip of his interview on TSN and it sounded like in his demands was playing time right away and not going on loan. it will be interesting to see if that will come into fruition. Either way based on the transfer fee I am certain BM will make the right decision for him and make the most of this special talent they have now. 

8 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I just watch a clip of his interview on TSN and it sounded like in his demands was playing time right away and not going on loan. it will be interesting to see that will come into fruition. Either way based on the transfer fee I am certain BM will make the right decision for him and make the most of this special talent they have now. 

It's easy to worry that he won't get playing time, but there's a part of me that believes Bayern is going to turn Alphonso into an absolute monster - and in short order.

26 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

No I certainly would not when compared to Bayern Munich. 

And not in the Premier League. We have been a yo-yo team for good portions of the time I have been alive.  

17th largest revenue in the world, perennially spending it on people like Andy Carroll.

That all said we did win the World Cup back in '66.

But back on topic, great news on our boy.  Bayern are a very well run team and the Bundesliga should be a good place for him to develop.  Lots of speed but not so big that he can't still use his size as well as his quick feet.  Might get bullied if someone tried to give him regular minutes in the Premier League or have the creativity hammered out of him, like Chelsea did with Joe Cole. 

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's easy to worry that he won't get playing time, but there's a part of me that believes Bayern is going to turn Alphonso into an absolute monster - and in short order.

or he could be the next Renato Sanches..... furiously knocks on wood

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

That dude is 20 he’s gonna be fine.. 

I’ve seen it mentioned in articles that Bayern is like Real Madrid and spends buckets of money hoping for a gem but that’s not true at all. Bayern is strategic with who it chooses, Davies is the first player they’ve paid for this year. They’re not going to waste him, just like Renato Sanches they’ll try to make it work for him because he’s an investment.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

That dude is 20 he’s gonna be fine.. 

I’ve seen it mentioned in articles that Bayern is like Real Madrid and spends buckets of money hoping for a gem but that’s not true at all. Bayern is strategic with who it chooses, Davies is the first player they’ve paid for this year. They’re not going to waste him, just like Renato Sanches they’ll try to make it work for him because he’s an investment.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bayern's record transfer is Javi Martinez I believe for under 50 million Euros. I know your comment is in reference to spending a lot on buying up youth players, but still, felt the need to mention that once I saw Real Madrid brought up.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

A lot of people are bringing that up and I get the concern, but I am optimistic we won't see that with Davies. I don't think Alphonso is going to feel the weight of a 13 million euro transfer like Sanches felt the weight of his 35 million euro transfer, coming from Benfica, and coming off winning the Euro 2016 championship. Different expectations. Davies will be more of a project in a way that Renato was not.

I also don't see him going out on loan, at least not right away. I think there's a better chance of him playing with Bayern 2 than going on loan to another club. Why would Bayern put his development in the hands of another club? Doesn't really make sense. Davies is so raw they are probably salivating at the chance to mold him in the Bayern image. So yeah, I don't see them trusting another club with his development right now.

Bold prediction: he won't go on loan in January. He'll be with the first team right away. He'll get chances here and there, in the league, in the german cup, as a substitute, and his performances will write the rest of the story. If he does well, he'll keep playing and eventually start matches. If he struggles, then he'll get minutes with the second team and they'll bring him on more slowly.

If Davies isn't getting semi regular minutes by the time the 2020-2021 season rolls around, I expect a loan.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I can see RIbery and Robben showing him the finer points.  Tough to get playing time, but hes got the best to learn from.  

I think it is very possible Davies steps into the Bayern first team squad in January. Even if he doesn't get many league minutes, a huge club like Bayern must be involved in a lot of competitions. League, Europe, Domestic cup(s), Regional cup(s)? etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if he got some non-league first team minutes. If he shows well, then who knows...

Thankfully given Davies skill set, he's a great player to bring on late to catch teams pressing. That works in his favour for getting on the field to show his worth.

Don't forget, last year Davies was for the most part used as a super sub. He's risen fast through every level he's played. Even when he signed his first team contract no one thought he'd really get the minutes. I really hope he can continue this trend in some capacity in surprise some Germans.

9 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think it is very possible Davies steps into the Bayern first team squad in January. Even if he doesn't get many league minutes, a huge club like Bayern must be involved in a lot of competitions. League, Europe, Domestic cup(s), Regional cup(s)? etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if he got some non-league first team minutes. If he shows well, then who knows...

Plus with how Bayern recently has been winning the league by 10 or 20 points, they can afford to give some playing time later in the season I would think.

Archived