Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

To be fair, I think a number of the US pundits  on the mlssoccer website seem genuinely excited and proud that he came out of MLS. Calen Carr was saying Davies was the person he was most looking forward to seeing playing in the all-star game before the Bayern news even broke. Where it gets amusing to me is when some of the other US pundits keep talking about how unprecedented this signing is for "Canadian and American players coming out of MLS"  because it is still unprecedented for players coming from one of those two countries....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Its funny seeing the American press and theyre confusion on Davies. They want to be excited but then they realize he's not American, so they're typical pro US narrative doesnt really flow. The natural instinct is to overhype so there is a little saltiness in a lot of the tone, even a subtle jealousy I detect

any articles you can point to?

20 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

To be fair, I think a number of the US pundits  on the mlssoccer website seem genuinely excited and proud that he came out of MLS. Calen Carr was saying Davies was the person he was most looking forward to seeing playing in the all-star game before the Bayern news even brookWhere it gets amusing to me is when some of the other US pundits keep talking about how unprecedented this signing is for "Canadian and American players coming out of MLS"  because it is still unprecedented for players coming from one of those two countries....

Exactly. I think the jealousy is coming from the American fans and not the MLS soccer analysts. To me the latter seem genuinely excited. I have read everything from "I wish he was American I would be hype" (honest jealously) to "I hope he likes going on loan" (sour grapes).

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

any articles you can point to?

Check out the the videos of pundits on mls.com. lots of he will be loaned out, should have went to a smaller club. They act like he hasnt been playing the mls for 2 years!  The headline for Chiallini " you'll never guess who he wants to play against?" Really? Who else besides maybe Giovinco? One player is 17 going to Bayern Munich and the others are basically a bjnch nobodies. ESPN first article aboug the transfer spent just as much time talking about some american in Bayerns youth team as they did about Davies. American outlets also keep referring to a 12 million dollar transfer. Where did that number come from? A lot of question coming to Davies today asking what it all means for North American soccer. When they talk to Pulisic or american players, do they ask about North American soccer?

Fans.. dont even get me started. Is it possible for someone to discuss Davies without mentioning Adu, Julian Green, Weah or Pulisic? Does anyone in the footballing world know these players or really care much about them?

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Check out the the videos of pundits on mls.com. lots of he will be loaned out, should have went to a smaller club. ESPN first article aboug the transfer spent just as much time talking about some american in Bayerns youth team as they did about Davied. American outlets also keep referring to a 12 million dollar transfer. Where did that number come from? A lot of question coming to Davies today asking what it all means for North American soccer. When they talk to Pulisic or american players, do they ask about North American soccer?

Fans.. dont even get me started. Is it possible for someone to discuss Davies without mentioning Adu, Julian Green, Weah or Pulisic? Does anyone in the footballing world know these players or really care much about them?

Did anyone else roll their eyes at Bobby Warshaw a few days ago when they were covering the Davies story?

He kept on saying:

American and Canadian players this....

American and Canadian players that....

No Bobby, this is a Canadian player. Don't extrapolate it to the American player development system.

How convenient that now you talk about the "American and Canadian" player....

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Did anyone else roll their eyes at Bobby Warshaw a few days ago when they were covering the Davies story?

He kept on saying:

No Bobby, this is a Canadian player. Don't extrapolate it to the American player development system.

I don't know about you. But my eyes are basically permanently rolled into the back of my head when Bobby Warshaw starts talking

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Check out the the videos of pundits on mls.com. lots of he will be loaned out, should have went to a smaller club. They act like he hasnt been playing the mls for 2 years!  The headline for Chiallini " you'll never guess who he wants to play against?" Really? Who else besides maybe Giovinco? One player is 17 going to Bayern Munich and the others are basically a bjnch nobodies. ESPN first article aboug the transfer spent just as much time talking about some american in Bayerns youth team as they did about Davies. American outlets also keep referring to a 12 million dollar transfer. Where did that number come from? A lot of question coming to Davies today asking what it all means for North American soccer. When they talk to Pulisic or american players, do they ask about North American soccer?

Yes, Pulisic is the real deal and we’ll be lucky if Davies matches him so let’s not get too cocky.  Weah I’ve heard good things about.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I didnt say he wasnt the real deal. But what does he have to do with Alphonso Davies? 

You said this: Does anyone in the footballing world know these players or really care much about them? 

People in the footballing world know about Pulisic. I think that was Keegan point.

Really? I dont care much to be honest. He's a good player but there are a lot of good players.  If you follow the transfer market there are lots of good 19 20 yr olds coming and going from big clubs. Its not based on his ability im just not that interested

The last thing i think of when i think Alphonso Davies is how does he stack up to Christian Pulisic? I think more Vinicius Jr.. same age, similar style, similar situation, big transfer going to big team from a smaller league etc etc

I think because there isn't a comparable player to Alphonso period. They want to make one to the thing that looks more like the other. Alphonso is just different. Sure they'll compare him to Adu, Altidore and Pulisic, Weah who are the closest thing to him. 

(I don't put Ballou and Larin in the same boat because they just arrived in Europe and I don't think you can say something about someone who left for Europe after 6 months. I think you want a good 12-15 months there. I do think however the next Canadian player to leave CPL/MLS for a similar European move will be compared to those two and maybe Davies.)

And I wouldn't compare him to Vinicius Jr. because there are a lot of young 18 year old Brazilians who went to big European clubs so there is a comparable for Vinicius Jr.

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Really? I dont care much to be honest. He's a good player but there are a lot of good players.  If you follow the transfer market there are lots of good 19 20 yr olds coming and going from big clubs

The last thing i think of when i think Alphonso Davies is how does he stack up to Christian Pulisic? I think more Vanecius Jr.. same age, similar style, similar situation, big transfer going to big team from a smaller league etc etc

They're both from North America and are going to be at Germany's two biggest clubs at the same age.  Lots of parallels, both young attacking talents who are very likely to be playing against each other in Concacaf and are likely to be the faces of two national team programs leading up to a home World Cup in countries where the sport is poised to explode.  They have different games but there are lots of parallels that like it or not will likely continue for years.  Think its a good thing, look at what Messi and Ronaldo did for growing the game.  It would be bigger for Canada then it would for Pulisic, their national team already gets a lot more hype and coverage having a potential rivalry (even if its orchestrated by the media) in Germany and at home would be great for Davies/Pulisic and both programs, with ours getting more of a bump probably.  Pulisic is definitely in the top 10 I'd say for his age group, and is a smarter player then most of those top prospects already, likely top 5 as well.  

My point is the who is the measuring stick right now in global football for "wonderkid" i think ive already said who it isnt

Its just an overall comment on howamerican soccer always creates its own seperate reality with their key figures and standards that at times the rest of the world is completely unaware of or oblivious to

Just now, SpursFlu said:

My pointis the measuring stick right now in global football for "wonderkid" i think ive already said who it isnt

Its just an overall comment on howamerican soccer always creates its own seperate reality with their key figures and standards that at times the rest of the world is completely unaware of or oblivious to

That is 100% accurate.  That's the US M.O. for everything, marketing and self delusion, but Pulisic to be fair is the real deal and has earned it with his performances for Dortmund as a teenager in the Champions League and Bundesliga.  As far as the US goes he's probably already their best player ever in terms of level attained imo.  

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

My point is the who is the measuring stick right now in global football for "wonderkid" i think ive already said who it isnt

Pulisic is linked to a €70m move to Chelsea, so I'd say he's one of them.

Well if y'all are gon' play the Canadian vs American narrative especially when it comes to Davies and Pulisic, I guess it gon' make sense because the players in question are gonna be compared to one another not just now but for years to come especially in CONCACAF in the North American game. Both play in the same league Pulisic for Dortmund but for how much longer since reports been comin' out dat he may even go to the Premier League to join Chelsea and Davies for Bayern Munich. Regardless if Pulisic stay in Germany or he go to England the debate still gon' continue on though.

Americans have always had this way of thinking that they the best at everything so why wouldn't dat train of thought/narrative translate over into soccer. I mean how many Gold Cups have they won on this continent compared to how many Canada have won. Basically what I'm sayin to y'all is dat USA will always see us Canadians as being inferior because of dat superiority complex they have because it is somethin their society teaches them dat their media relays.

Now back to the subject of Davies though if he gets first team minutes at Bayern and he actually perform there too like his stats are better there vs his stats in Vancouver then will he truly be considered as being better than Pulisic.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think we need to decide what constitutes "wonderkid" or maybe just "kid" but if im getting bored i can only imagine how others feel

Anyways Pulisic good player, cant wait for Gold Cup 2019

Pulisic is a wonderkid.. top 5 for 98s no question.

Americans have a lot of hype for players I could list for days.. just as we do, remember Aleman being the next DeRo?  Or Jamie Peters?  But just like Davies is our (hopefully) real deal Pulisic is the real deal.

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Pulisic is a wonderkid.. top 5 for 98s no question.

Americans have a lot of hype for players I could list for days.. just as we do, remember Aleman being the next DeRo?  Or Jamie Peters?  But just like Davies is our (hopefully) real deal Pulisic is the real deal.

Wyn  Belotte always comes to Mind 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

He kept on saying:

No, didnt roll my eyes at that.  He is talking to a canadian and US audience.   I listen to their podcast regularly and have always enjoyed the discussions.  They know their stuff.  That doesnt mean that i always agree but i really do see that they are trying to be fair.   And in may opinion,  canadian content (especially cnd clubs) is coverred very fairly.  

As canadian, what i found totally embarrassing was when some guy from canada wrote in about lack of cnd content, or something to that effect.   This, after they spent some fifteen minutes or so talking about the Davies deal.  I was so embarassed as canadian to hear the level of inferiority complex that many canadians have that i had to shut off the podcast.   

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

No, didnt roll my eyes at that.  He is talking to a canadian and US audience.   I listen to their podcast regularly and have always enjoyed the discussions.  They know their stuff.  That doesnt mean that i always agree but i really do see that they are trying to be fair.   And in may opinion,  canadian content (especially cnd clubs) is coverred very fairly.  

As canadian, what i found totally embarrassing was when some guy from canada wrote in about lack of cnd content, or something to that effect.   This, after they spent some fifteen minutes or so talking about the Davies deal.  I was so embarassed as canadian to hear the level of inferiority complex that many canadians have that i had to shut off the podcast.   

Yeah some guy from the "six", right?

I like their stuff too. I catch most ETR podcats. Like yourself I don't always agree but I love the conversations they have. It is very entertaining.

I have also noticed they do make an effort to touch on Canadian news and apprecitate when they do, even if they get some things wrong, like when they say Canada is playing a "friendly" against Dominica in October. Nice try and I appreciate the effort.

But I have to be honest and admit I was a bit annoyed at how they used the Davies transfer as a platform to talk about American players. And to be sure they did label it as "American and Canadian" players, because well they had no choice. Davies is a Canadian. 

It's not that I expect anything different mind you. Davies going to Bayern means a lot for the league. It means a lot to how young domestic players are viewed in the league. The vast majority of these young domestic players are American. That is the reality. They had to discuss it because it is a monumental moment in league history.

But that doesn't make it any less annoying to me.

Just the reality of being part of an American league.

All will be equal when Davies tortures the American backline in the future :)

Just watched the All-Star Extra time live show. Hercules Gomez impresses me yet again. When interviewed about Davies, he actually focuses on what it means for "Canadian" soccer.

Not "Canadian and American" soccer.

Not "North American" soccer.

"Canadian" soccer.

Later on in the show they interview DeRo for more Davies discussion.....I am now satisfied :)

Archived