Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

I'm sure contracts have to be agreed upon by both the club and the league. The name on the cheque seems like a formality to me. I would, however, like to know who wields the most power during contract negotiations. Buying or selling. I've never seen an explanation for this.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

The club owners are merely partners or shareholders in ONE CLUB called MLS. 

This is exactly it. MLS owners are actually called "investor-operators" and each only own 49% of their respective team. The other 51% of every team belongs to MLS LLC.

8 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I'm sure contracts have to be agreed upon by both the club and the league. The name on the cheque seems like a formality to me. I would, however, like to know who wields the most power during contract negotiations. Buying or selling. I've never seen an explanation for this.

Isn't it clearly the clubs, except when a real "marquee" indicates an interest in joining a particular team. That's when the league takes over and ensures it happens. They've also taken an interest in some - rather a few it would seem - transfers out of the league. I think some of us are overestimating the league's grasp in day-to-day operations simply because of the league structure. I don't think the league itself is interested in the negotiations, resigning or waiving of the journeymen, but only in the real $$$ potential players.

7 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Isn't it clearly the clubs, except when a real "marquee" indicates an interest in joining a particular team. That's when the league takes over and ensures it happens. They've also taken an interest in some - rather a few it would seem - transfers out of the league. I think some of us are overestimating the league's grasp in day-to-day operations simply because of the league structure. I don't think the league itself is interested in the negotiations, resigning or waiving of the journeymen, but only in the real $$$ potential players.

I really don't know. International media often seems to report contracts as being negotiated by MLS and not by specific clubs. Also, a lot of inter-league trades make me suspicious. I don't think you'd see some of them if the league didn't have a say in the matter.

36 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Keegan, I think the problem is youre not seeing the league for what it really is: a joke.  It is intramural soccer.  Its just one big team called MLS.  Club ownership is not real, never has been.  The club owners are merely partners or shareholders in ONE CLUB called MLS.  Whenever an MLS "club" makes money, they keep a fraction and the rest goes to the MLS central bank account.  So when the league pays a player, its really all the club owners paying all the players in the league, together, so MLSE does pay for player salaries but only in a roundabout way.

As the league grows and makes more money, all the teams profit equally.  Because they are the league.  Its just one thing. 

Oh I definitely see the corporate scheme for what it is and that was the lead up to this debate - the whole fact that anyone else aside from Vancouver has a say in where/when/how he is transferred (whether they exercise it or not).  But who are we to judge?  We still have a Queen that technically signs off on everything we do, even if by convention. 

10 hours ago, ardsa said:

Could someone please explain how Davies has domestic status in Germany? I've seen this alluded to a few times.

All Canadians have domestic status in Germany due to a reciprocal labour agreement our countries have. Any Canadian can work in Germany and any German can work in Canada.

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

All Canadians have domestic status in Germany due to a reciprocal labour agreement our countries have. Any Canadian can work in Germany and any German can work in Canada.

One of my closest friends is German (in Koln) but this is the first I've heard of this; you learn something new every day.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

We’re all agreed with that I think - it’s just the debate over whether franchises eat that salary some way or another, logically I believe they do.  I believe it may be based off revenue etc but at the end of the day you still pay those salaries and there’s no doubt you pay DP salaries.

Keegan, the league pays the salaries from a general revenue pool generated by revenue sharing among the clubs. Not sure what the percentages are now but it used to be 1/3 of gate receipts and a few other streams.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Grizzly brought this up many years ago.

Some people have talked on the forum about there being a labour agreement between Germany and Canada but not me. I was born in Germany but that does not get you citizenship and Germany is a super hard country to get citizenship, residency permits and work permits from in my experience though possibly it is easier for soccer players. It is possible things have changed since I lived there but I am skeptical that it is much easier. I know our government has been negotiating some free trade agreements with the EU but I do not know of anything special with Germany. I Googled it and did not come up with anything. I haven't seen anyone who mentioned some agreement with Germany ever post any evidence that this existed but if someone has it please post it. The only difference I see in Germany is that unlike England it does not require the country of origin to be at a certain FIFA ranking and clubs are pretty ambitious throughout the pyramid so there are foreigners playing even at lower levels. 

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Some people have talked on the forum about there being a labour agreement between Germany and Canada but not me. I was born in Germany but that does not get you citizenship and Germany is a super hard country to get citizenship, residency permits and work permits from in my experience though possibly it is easier for soccer players. It is possible things have changed since I lived there but I am skeptical that it is much easier. I know our government has been negotiating some free trade agreements with the EU but I do not know of anything special with Germany. I Googled it and did not come up with anything. I haven't seen anyone who mentioned some agreement with Germany ever post any evidence that this existed but if someone has it please post it. The only difference I see in Germany is that unlike England it does not require the country of origin to be at a certain FIFA ranking and clubs are pretty ambitious throughout the pyramid so there are foreigners playing even at lower levels. 

I too googled it but couldn't find anything either

Maybe referring to CETA?  Which of course means the EU not just Germany.  Not quite free movement of labour between Canada & the EU but as far as I understand it could really make it easier for players to go on trial.

Whole gig kicks off this fall so if I'm right about that could be a game changer for our players, no EU passport required.  Of course I'm speculating, athletes may be exempt.  Don't know, but Davies is going to Germany after CETA is launched so....  

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I have never heard of this before....  It's very surprising.  Are there age restriction on it like the swap program say with Australia?

Even with an age limit, if this is real we should have had an academy in Germany.... eons ago. 

In the world of inflated transfer fees, it is incredible that it has taken 10 years to break the previous transfer fee record of $10M. Certainly not a good indicator of youth development in MLS given that the league has been around long enough to see significant  progression in the skill levels/ future potential of youth players

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

In the world of inflated transfer fees, it is incredible that it has taken 10 years to break the previous transfer fee record of $10M. Certainly not a good indicator of youth development in MLS given that the league has been around long enough to see significant  progression in the skill levels/ future potential of youth players

When you take into account how badly Jozy flopped at the top level it’s not all that shocking.  If he (or Adu or Agudelo etc.) had have gone over there and made things happen I think the trajectory would have continued but it set us back a bit - I think that became apparent when no teams were willing to spend 10 million on Larin.

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

We have never had this kind of agreement with the US where there is some $600 billion dolllars in trade between the two countries.  I would be very surprised if this kind of deal existed with Germany. Essentially, this would mean no borders between the two countries given that labour mobility is the last frontier and biggest barrier of any bi-lateral commercial agreements. 

ps.:  there isnt even labour mobility between provinces within canada when comes to many sectors.  

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

When you take into account how badly Jozy flopped at the top level it’s not all that shocking.  If he (or Adu or Agudelo etc.) had have gone over there and made things happen I think the trajectory would have continued but it set us back a bit - I think that became apparent when no teams were willing to spend 10 million on Larin.

Understand, but 10 years is still a generational gap. Larin's performance dipped in the last 2 years and then there was that incident that probably put off many teams. There are numerous examples of big transfers that flame out in Europe and $10M is not a massive sum. Hopefully Davies breaks that stigma for Canadians and the future CPL.

51 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The trend seems to be MLS academy kids getting plucked by European clubs before they sign first team deals, thus no transfer fee. Players like Weston McKennie and Timothy Weah come to mind, or Michael Petrasso (if you want a Canadian example).

I think that's why more clubs have been signing youngsters to USL deals even though they are clearly not ready for first-team soccer. It also helps that MLS clubs now have USL clubs to do such things, of course.

There is no labor deal in place with Germany like the one mentionned in this thread.

From the Canadian government website (with similar info on the German Embassy page):

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/work-germany_travailler-allemagne.aspx?lang=eng

Work in Germany

The Embassy cannot provide assistance in obtaining a permit for Germany. Canadians who wish to stay more than three months or work in Germany require a visa (Aufenthaltstitel). Visas can be applied for at the German Embassy in Ottawa or Consulate in your region. Please consult the website of the German Embassy for details on German permits.

Canadians who are already in Germany can submit an application for a permit at their local Foreigner's Office (Ausländerbehörde).

Young Canadians between the ages of 18 and 35 can apply for a simplified work permit under the "Youth Mobility Program". The application can only be submitted in Canada at the German Embassy in Ottawa or German consulate in their respective region. Read more about the "Youth Mobility Program" in the brochure Work & Travel in Germany .

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The visa is 18-35

We have a reciprocal youth mobility agreement with Germany.  It is very limited (i.e. certain number of young Canadians can go to Germany to work on a work visa, and a corresponding number of Germans can come to Canada).  Visa 18-35 is working holiday visa that relates to those youth mobility agreements. 

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Keegan, I think the problem is youre not seeing the league for what it really is: a joke.  It is intramural soccer.  Its just one big team called MLS.  Club ownership is not real, never has been.  The club owners are merely partners or shareholders in ONE CLUB called MLS.  Whenever an MLS "club" makes money, they keep a fraction and the rest goes to the MLS central bank account.  So when the league pays a player, its really all the club owners paying all the players in the league, together, so MLSE does pay for player salaries but only in a roundabout way.

As the league grows and makes more money, all the teams profit equally.  Because they are the league.  Its just one thing. 

It was set up this way because of all the other failed attempts of pro soccer leagues,  with the old NASL, that spent its way to North America’s famous graveyard of pro soccer leagues in 1984,  set up as a single entity which at the inception of MLS was the best way they found to try and finally sustain a pro soccer league in North America. All the other ways of attempts to sustain pro soccer leagues had failed miserably up to 1996, and so far so good it’s 2018 and the MLS is still around probably one of the longest running pro soccer leagues at this level ever in recent memories and one of the most successful so far in the history of pro soccer in North America , while the single entity thing may look like a joke I think it’s still needed because we’re talking about soccer about pro soccer in North America which has a history of dead pro leagues baried in graveyards throughout the US and Canada. Moreover, this is what a league like MLS was dealing with when it started this stench of dead soccer leagues before them and unfortunately this is what our new CPL also has to be mindful of when any decisions are made by its owners and don’t think for one minute every CPL owner is not mindful of the past when making decisions, we as fans might not like some of the decisions even a league like the CPL might make but it’s not our money they are dealing with its theirs, so they are going to make decisions just like the MLS did when it went to the single entity league to try and make sure this league can survive , what the CPL does have that the MLS did not was any history of any  soccer leagues in North America that was so called successful and had not gone belly up, the CPL at least has the MLS as proof that a pro soccer league can survive and be somewhat successful making decisions that can help them survive and succeed.

Archived