Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

11 hours ago, jpg75 said:

no domestic status in France will make it harder to break into the first team

Could someone please explain how Davies has domestic status in Germany? I've seen this alluded to a few times.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Rheo said:

This is a great story and that gives me great hope for CPL as technically, the next Davies are more likely to be picked up by CPL teams then flipped later to other leagues with the CPL logo all over it.

Exciting times for Canadian soccer

31 minutes ago, Ansem said:

His Edmonton Academy should get compensation too, right?

No, because he was never officially signed up as a member of the Academy. He did train a couple of times though. However Strikers and Internationals should and will get compensation though.  

2 hours ago, RS said:

Vancouver never invested 16M in him, though. For every Alphonso Davies, there are 100 Bryce Aldersons who don't work out but are all paid entirely by MLS.

Regardless, the Whitecaps are going to be getting a massive injection of money very soon. 

No they didn’t spend that but he is an investment that is now worth... check that 20 million.  So essentially MLS gets the final say on as you say the millions of dollars spent by Vancouver through the years trying to develop these players.. that’s messed up.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

The transfer fee for Alphonso Davies could have been higher but it also could have been lower so in conclusion there is a transfer fee. #Tg11

For the team to pay a transfer fee they obviously saw something in him especially since Bayern is one of the biggest teams in Europe and maybe the world and for them to pay it means they saw something and a team such as that with a manager like Girdiola who is one of the best and modern in football will obviously want to spend money on players they see something in.  #tg11

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

For the team to pay a transfer fee they obviously saw something in him especially since Bayern is one of the biggest teams in Europe and maybe the world and for them to pay it means they saw something and a team such as that with a manager like Girdiola who is one of the best and modern in football will obviously want to spend money on players they see something in.  #tg11

Holy shit, that is perfect.

I cannot find the article where I read this, but apparently a journalist in Germany wrote a book earlier this year in which he argues that, statistically, Davies is the most likely young talent in the world to have the sort of careers that Messi and Ronaldo have had.  A grand claim, sure, but the article suggests that this book played something of a role in Bayern's decision to check Davies out.

4 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

I cannot find the article where I read this, but apparently a journalist in Germany wrote a book earlier this year in which he argues that, statistically, Davies is the most likely young talent in the world to have the sort of careers that Messi and Ronaldo have had.  A grand claim, sure, but the article suggests that this book played something of a role in Bayern's decision to check Davies out.

Bayern regularly reads this forum....

1 hour ago, ESG Shawn said:

Congrats to the kid. Amazing news. I also love that Edmonton Strikers will see some of the windfall.

New chant for the Nation's League matches?

"Hey we just met him
And this is crazy 
He's gone to Munich  
Alphonso Davies"

All the other clubs

Tried to pay he

But Bayern Munich

Has Phonzie Davies 

????

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

After watching this year world cup, i found myself more encouraged about the future of this kid.   Thats because i saw a game that has changed from what it was 12-16 (and before) years ago where there were multiple dictintictive styles of play based on culture and geography to a game that is now uniformly played the same way throughout the world.  

He has the skills.  And in todays game (based on the WC), its more pace, high press and athelticism than it was before.  Its still about possession but its more direct than before.  Much more possesion to contruct and create rather than possesion for the sake of possesion.  And lightning quick on counter attacks.    Then you see that a player like Killian Mbapa, whose about explosiveness,  is crowned as the next one.  Someone like that would have attracted criticism in the past for thier game.   Davies fits well in my opinion in regards to where the game is now and heading. 

From what I've seen of German league play, Davies very much fits the mold of having an ability to counter attack with lightning pace. The irony is that countering is how teams often play against the best in the country, ie. Bayern, whom Davies will play for. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/vancouver-whitecaps-fc/alphonso-davies-completes-historic-transfer-to-bayern-munich/

"Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major success in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga."

4 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Alphonso > Ballou

Lets wait and see.  I still havent given up on Ballou on seeing him in a red shirt.  And, with the world cup coming in 2026, i think that there is better chance that we will have Ballou than there was before. 

One went to Barcelona, the other (potentially) Bayern.  There is not much to distinguish there.

Archived