Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Is he able to play in friendlies before getting his passport?

Should be able to. As long as you have FIFA eligibility you can play in non-official matches. Tam Nsaliwa played for us against Brasil in 2008 after forfeiting his citizenship.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:10 AM, canta15 said:

I asked him if he liked the nickname "The Fonz" on his ig live stream.....he did not. Dammit.

Unfortunately for Davies, the thing I've learnt about nicknames in sports over the years, is that you have little say in the matter. lol

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

What happened to being weeks away from getting his passport ?

This shit is complicated enough when you're an adult; never mind having to possibly remove yourself from your parents application so you can take the test on your own. 

At the end of the day what matters is how the #CanMNT does; not the U17s. We could win the U17 World Cup and the Eurofans would still not jump onto the "pride for where you actually live - Canada" bandwagon.

It would be nice if he got his papers by late-May to play in our pre-Gold Cup friendly.

But we win the u17, all the playing players get to be in the shop window. Instead of trailing with 2nd & 3rd division teams in Europe, a handful of them should at least get a chance with first division teams. 

And it will the get casual Canadian sports fan on board. Should get over 1 million watching the final. Next time Canadian national team plays, they might actually stay on the channel for more than 5 mins. Look what happened to the u19 women when they made the finals in the early part of this century. 

4 hours ago, red card said:

But we win the u17, all the playing players get to be in the shop window. Instead of trailing with 2nd & 3rd division teams in Europe, a handful of them should at least get a chance with first division teams. 

And it will the get casual Canadian sports fan on board. Should get over 1 million watching the final. Next time Canadian national team plays, they might actually stay on the channel for more than 5 mins. Look what happened to the u19 women when they made the finals in the early part of this century. 

But players have to wait until they are 18 before they sign. So, how do you keep up the hype for that 1-2 years between the U-17 World Cup and the time that they are old enough to go abroad?

9 hours ago, Blackdude said:

But players have to wait until they are 18 before they sign. So, how do you keep up the hype for that 1-2 years between the U-17 World Cup and the time that they are old enough to go abroad?

they continue to perform well after a good showing at the u17 tournament

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I do think he is genuine but similar sentiments were said by Burnbury and Begovic before they turned on us.

Both had options that looked better and offered more than Canada. Liberia might be on par with Canada but as a CAF minnow it doesn't offer as much (he'd have a better shot at a World Cup with Canada).

Also Teal Burnbury grew up stateside, I fully believe he spoke mistakenly (as he claims) and that Alex Burnbury pushed Canada on him.

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

Can you expand on this, please?

I read  a while ago (on waking red I believe) that after saying it would feel wrong to play for the us he told his dad he made a mistake with his comment. I'll take a peak for it in a bit on my phone atm

1 hour ago, matty said:

Both had options that looked better and offered more than Canada. Liberia might be on par with Canada 

we aren't that bad

12 hours ago, Floortom said:

I do think he is genuine but similar sentiments were said by Burnbury and Begovic before they turned on us.

Those two were specifically asked about playing for Canada though. Davies said it on his own accord. Seems much more sincere

12 hours ago, canta15 said:

we aren't that bad

I know FIFA rankings aren't the best indicator, but I got curious.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-tools/compare-teams.html#dataform=true&t1=CAN&t2=LBR&t3=&t4=&timeRange=last4years&fromDate=2013-03-13&toDate=2017-03-08

That's Canada's and Liberia's rankings over the last 4 years. 13 plot points on the graph, 7 of which Canada is below Liberia, and 6 of which Canada is above Liberia. Maybe it's not that wrong to suggest we are about on par with Liberia, as pathetic as that sounds.

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

I know FIFA rankings aren't the best indicator, but I got curious.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-tools/compare-teams.html#dataform=true&t1=CAN&t2=LBR&t3=&t4=&timeRange=last4years&fromDate=2013-03-13&toDate=2017-03-08

That's Canada's and Liberia's rankings over the last 4 years. 13 plot points on the graph, 7 of which Canada is below Liberia, and 6 of which Canada is above Liberia. Maybe it's not that wrong to suggest we are about on par with Liberia, as pathetic as that sounds.

The Fifa Rankings are terrible. According to them we are worse than mediocre Carribean nations that can't even make the 2nd last round of WCQs

Archived