Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I know FIFA rankings aren't the best indicator, but I got curious.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-tools/compare-teams.html#dataform=true&t1=CAN&t2=LBR&t3=&t4=&timeRange=last4years&fromDate=2013-03-13&toDate=2017-03-08

That's Canada's and Liberia's rankings over the last 4 years. 13 plot points on the graph, 7 of which Canada is below Liberia, and 6 of which Canada is above Liberia. Maybe it's not that wrong to suggest we are about on par with Liberia, as pathetic as that sounds.

http://www.eloratings.net/

I've always found these seem much more accurate. Our lack of meaningful games puts us at a huge disadvantage in the FIFA Rankings.

With ELO, we are ranked 77, while Liberia is 127

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

http://www.eloratings.net/

I've always found these seem much more accurate. Our lack of meaningful games puts us at a huge disadvantage in the FIFA Rankings.

With ELO, we are ranked 77, while Liberia is 127

Yeah, I'm aware ELO ratings are more respected than FIFA rankings, but the tool set for the FIFA rankings are better so it was easier to compare the two nations with FIFA rankings over a larger period of time rather than just taking a snapshot in time. Is there anything out there that is good with showing historical ELO ratings?

Another thing I would be really interested in seeing is an objective measure of the quality of the two ranking systems. I think what that would look like would be an evaluation of how well you can predict the result of a match between two teams by looking at their relative ELO and/or FIFA rankings. For example, if the team with the higher ELO ranking gets 80% of the wins, but the team with the higher FIFA ranking only gets 60% of the wins, then ELO would be an objectively better ranking system.

Apologies for the derailing of the thread. Glad to hear Davies dreams of playing for Canada!

Edit: I've found a scientific paper comparing FIFA rankings vs various other ranking methodologies. http://lasek.rexamine.com/football_rankings.pdf
The tl;dr of it is that eloratings.net is the best of the examined methods, but averaging the best few methods outperforms eloratings.net as well. 

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I'm aware ELO ratings are more respected than FIFA rankings, but the tool set for the FIFA rankings are better so it was easier to compare the two nations with FIFA rankings over a larger period of time rather than just taking a snapshot in time. Is there anything out there that is good with showing historical ELO ratings?

You can look their rankings after each match on eloratings.net By the way, it's called Elo, not ELO. 

2 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

You can look their rankings after each match on eloratings.net By the way, it's called Elo, not ELO. 

Thanks. I didn't realize it was named after a guy, rather than an acronym. Now I have to read through my post again and see how much sense it would make if I was talking about the band.

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

Safe to say the Whitecaps fully believe in Davies (although was there any doubt?) as theyve just traded away Manneh...

Davies can play wing and his work down the line has been outstanding on several occasions on both sides of the field. You can also see glimmers of a "Hutch 2.0" type player but a longer way off than his wing play.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

How so?  Tchani will become Laba's regular partner if they continue with 4-2-3-1.

That is what I see happening as well. Russ is very versatile and can play wing as well but we are neck deep in wingers. He has been a utility player and maybe that is his role going forward. I think he could take a spot from Techera but he needs to make the most of his opportunities.

3 minutes ago, TRM said:

That is what I see happening as well. Russ is very versatile and can play wing as well but we are neck deep in wingers. He has been a utility player and maybe that is his role going forward. I think he could take a spot from Techera but he needs to make the most of his opportunities.

He was a winger all through his youth career, certainly knows whats required to play the position 

4 minutes ago, TRM said:

I think next season he'll be a starting mid for a USL/NASL team.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I think next season he'll be a starting mid for a USL/NASL team.

I hope not. I think he has shown that he can play at the MLS level. First choice for me would be he takes a spot from Techera, second he gets on a MLS team that needs a winger or buzz about defensive mid.

He has had a good run with the Caps for 7 years and I would be sad to see him go. Last of the Mohicans. Him and Gersh were the last holdovers from the start.

3 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

He was a winger all through his youth career, certainly knows whats required to play the position 

Perhaps, but at this stage of his career, on this team, I think his emergence as a wing candidate is doubtful.  I agree with TRM is that he's probably a utility fill in, just like Jacobson is (central mid/central defence).

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Perhaps, but at this stage of his career, on this team, I think his emergence as a wing candidate is doubtful.  I agree with TRM is that he's probably a utility fill in, just like Jacobson is (central mid/central defence).

I agree with this. I don't think he has the pace to be a regular winger in the MLS of today. He showed some glimpses of potential out wide in his first year, but that was in 2011. The quality of the league has improved significantly since then. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I agree with this. I don't think he has the pace to be a regular winger in the MLS of today. He showed some glimpses of potential out wide in his first year, but that was in 2011. The quality of the league has improved significantly since then. 

This. But he certainly looked like a world beater in the Caps league debut vs RB Dan Gargan on Aron Winter's defensively challenged TFC.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

So Jeff Lynne and the rest of the band weren't doing the ratings?

If they were, I would kindly ask them "Don't bring (Canada) down (in the ratings)".

*mic drop*

*thunderous applause*

*standing ovation*

*presented with Greatest Comedian of All Time crown*

*retire and live off of joke royalties*

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

If they were, I would kindly ask them "Don't bring (Canada) down (in the ratings)".

*mic drop*

*thunderous applause*

*standing ovation*

*presented with Greatest Comedian of All Time crown*

*retire and live off of joke royalties*

I think you're dreaming. But then, one should hold on tight to his dreams.

Archived