Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

On 3/2/2017 at 10:53 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

I cant imagine that he would not be called up the national team. 

His composure, footwork, and 1v1 skills at 16...watching this champions league game - I'm a believer.

Very impressed with his passing vision as well in Vancouver's home opener. Thought he was Vancouver's best player on the night.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways it's Canada vs Liberia

Canada made the World Cup in 1986 and plays in the Gold Cup every year it happens (despite not being worthy sometimes)
Liberia has never made the World Cup, hasn't made the African Cup of Nations since 2002 and actually looks way worse off than Canada ATM despite outranking us in the FIFA rankings

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I don't get why it's taken so long to get his paperwork done.

Not to spread unconfirmed rumours, but the word was that there were problems with his parents' immigration status, and kids are tied to their parents' immigration status by default 

He's supposedly now in the process of getting his citizenship processed as a stand-alone applicant, but the process is longer

25 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He is eligible to play for Ghana through his father 

40 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Apparently, Ghana is the birthplace of his father.

Ummmm not if he's not a Ghanaian citizen himself, which he isn't. According to the Whitecaps, Davies holds Liberian citizenship which means he can't have Ghanaian because Liberia doesn't allow it.

I also have read his pa is a Liberian citizen. So too bad Ghana.

9 hours ago, matty said:

Ummmm not if he's not a Ghanaian citizen himself, which he isn't. According to the Whitecaps, Davies holds Liberian citizenship which means he can't have Ghanaian because Liberia doesn't allow it.

I also have read his pa is a Liberian citizen. So too bad Ghana.

Is it too bad Ghana?  FIFA rules are that a parent must have been born in the country and if his father was (even if he no longer holds citizenship) then all it would take is Ghana giving him citizenship? Far fetched but still.

Anyways, I can't imagine him playing for Liberia.  I think he's as good as ours but hopefully sooner than later.  

56 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Is it too bad Ghana?  FIFA rules are that a parent must have been born in the country and if his father was (even if he no longer holds citizenship) then all it would take is Ghana giving him citizenship? Far fetched but still.

Anyways, I can't imagine him playing for Liberia.  I think he's as good as ours but hopefully sooner than later.  

FIFA rules also say you need to produce a national passport prior to official matches. Ghana's requirements to get said passport is citizenship.

He might still be eligible if his grandparents were born in Ghana but I take the fact he hasn't applied for it as evidence he isn't planning on going for Ghanaian citizenship (for now).

19 hours ago, matty said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Liberia's laws are part of the hold up

I know two Liberian guys (through soccer funny enough) who migrated to Canada because of the civil war.

I don't know if either is a Canadian citizens. Always assumed they were. 

I'll ask when/if I see them around.

Archived