Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I want us to continue to call him the fonz until his nickname on wikipedia is the Fonz (other than the Canadian Messi of course)

I want us to continue calling him the Fonz until it's on the back of his jersey. 

i heard a big issue  i heard from a buddy that coachs with edmonton striker is passing the ball. hes able to dribble and run pass guys at such high speeds. Hes showing so well for the whitecaps. why the nickname fonz? what do his team mates call him? does he have twitter?

4 hours ago, yothat said:

i heard a big issue  i heard from a buddy that coachs with edmonton striker is passing the ball. hes able to dribble and run pass guys at such high speeds. Hes showing so well for the whitecaps. why the nickname fonz? what do his team mates call him? does he have twitter?

So you're saying he's not the finished product yet at 16? 

If you have never met anyone by the name of Alphonso, or similar, the nickname causing such a rage might be a funny idea. Apart from the fact that the reference dates you terribly.

If you do happen to know anyone with this name, well it comes across as sort of lame. 

I happen to be in favour of a player developing his nickname, if he's going to have one, over time. Most, if you haven't noticed, never get one. If they do, in the end, it is their fellow players who decide, or the family, or friends. Sometimes the press gets in there as well. The fans rarely tag a player.

But prove me wrong, give me an example where a players nickname came from the fans, I'd be curious.

The one concern I have with Davies is that he doesn't have a right foot and playing at this level isn't going to help him develop one when he's trying to play mistake free (as any 16 year old would).  Other than that I see a player with the potential to be an Atiba Hutchinson.. maybe not as well rounded but a better attacker.  

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

The one concern I have with Davies is that he doesn't have a right foot and playing at this level isn't going to help him develop one when he's trying to play mistake free (as any 16 year old would).  Other than that I see a player with the potential to be an Atiba Hutchinson.. maybe not as well rounded but a better attacker.  

Being left-footed and comfortable with cutting inside is an asset in most systems regardless of weak foot. 

Robben, Di Maria, and (gulp!) Messi have made a living out of it.

He should have a right foot for his short passing game and clearing in defense, at least. And some marking defensively. He actually does dribble with his right, combining both feet, so I think the comment is exagerrated.

He does not seem to be tagged for playing right wing and having to cross in from the endline. His clear profile is attacking mid, no doubt. 

Being a lefty is an advantage and I agree that it is not going to be a problem if he favours it. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you have never met anyone by the name of Alphonso, or similar, the nickname causing such a rage might be a funny idea. Apart from the fact that the reference dates you terribly.

If you do happen to know anyone with this name, well it comes across as sort of lame. 

I happen to be in favour of a player developing his nickname, if he's going to have one, over time. Most, if you haven't noticed, never get one. If they do, in the end, it is their fellow players who decide, or the family, or friends. Sometimes the press gets in there as well. The fans rarely tag a player.

But prove me wrong, give me an example where a players nickname came from the fans, I'd be curious.

If I'm not mistaken, Paul scholes was nicknamed The Ginger Ninja by fans. Juan Sebastian Veron was The Witch (or something very close to that) - i thought it was fans but might have been media ( I forget the story I had heard about it.)

This has gotten me interested in learning more players' nicknames and where they've come from. 

It's kind of depressing to think that in the entire history of the Caps in MLS there hasn't been a single player the fans have admired and given a larger-than-life status to. So no one you'd want to give a nickname to and use over and over again and have fun with. 

Right now the only player who really deserves a nick is Ousted since he's the only one who regularly does things that decide games. 

Odd, because I think we did have a strong relationship to certain players back in the old NASL days, some who came with their nicks, and even in USL, where players would get labelled quickly by the wise guys on the Southside.

Archived