Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

High praise from Jim Curtin. Confirms the interest from Liverpool as well as Robbo saying he's working to keep "Fonzie" from getting a big head.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/article/superstar-buzz-building-around-whitecaps-teen-davies-1.692055

FYI for those unaware, he can't transfer outside of Canada or Liberia until after the 2018 season when he'll have turned 18.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

Hope he does start tonight... Should be an interesting game for Vancouver. Would be big if he were to score a winning goal for his team tonight.

Oh was playing FiFa 17 recently and Davies still not in the game.... Wonder why?

Because they have to make some code changes to allow the player ratings to go up to 105!!!

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

Hope he does start tonight... Should be an interesting game for Vancouver. Would be big if he were to score a winning goal for his team tonight.

Oh was playing FiFa 17 recently and Davies still not in the game.... Wonder why?

He has to be 17 to be added into the game

3 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

I think he was rested for their last league game just so he could be rested up to start

18 minutes ago, Offside said:

He hasn't been doing much and looks like he has no energy 

He didn't take control of the game or anything, but he also didn't look the least bit out of place in a game against a really strong Mexican side - and for a 16 year old that is pretty damn good.

The commentators were praising him for his effort and defensive commitment. Stating "he had an amazing game for a 16 year old" and "he will play in many more big games like these in the next few decades"

He is still young they have to be very careful with him, I keep thinking of Freddy Adu who was also playing in the MLS at an even younger age than Davies. The crazy thing about Freddy Adu was that at the U20 World Cup in Canada when he was 19 he was one of the best players in that tournament a tournament that had many players who are stars today, while Adu can't make or start at an NASL team.

42 minutes ago, 1996 said:

He is still young they have to be very careful with him, I keep thinking of Freddy Adu who was also playing in the MLS at an even younger age than Davies. The crazy thing about Freddy Adu was that at the U20 World Cup in Canada when he was 19 he was one of the best players in that tournament a tournament that had many players who are stars today, while Adu can't make or start at an NASL team.

I think the issue with Adu has a lot to do with his attitude. He did very well on Philadelphia Union a few years ago and then all of a sudden he was off the team. I think they may have said it was a contract issue. Then he bounced around a lot and could not see the field.

3 hours ago, theaub said:

I mean let's be honest, the issue with Adu was probably that he was five years older than he said he was.

Lol.  I don't want to sound like a racist/conspiracy theorist, but I always felt this had to be the case.  Unless he was a total freak of nature, he had man-musculature at the age of "15".  And in a way that seemed inhuman.  Throw in the sketchy records, and the fact that he didn't continue the kind of trajectory a 15 year old phenom would be expected to demonstrate, and to me this was always the most plausible explanation.  

Adu was made a star when he wasn't really a star. He got big headed and did not put the work like he was supposed to do. Technically he should have been in an academy and signed at least when he is 16/17. MLS wanted it's American Pele and he was not that kind of player far from it. Anyways Adu is no longer a name to worry about, but would be nice for him to make it back to the top after putting in the work. 

With Davies he is putting the work and has gone through proper training in the academies after given the chance to move up into Vancouver first team. Hope he is keeps his head down and keep grinding in the work. He will make it far if he does that. Shame he didn't score a goal, but the next game Vancouver can still come out on top hopefully...

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

The red flag for me with Adu was that he arrived as a 9 yr old and his mother enrolled him in Grade 7. Uh ok...

Yeah, I didn't remember the numbers, but I remember him being interviewed on Letterman and said he skipped like 4 or 5 grades. That was a red flag right there. There was some other report that was saying his height and weight were listed as the same numbers when he was a 12 year old on the U-17 national team as when he was a pro at like 15 or 20 even.

Archived