Milan Borjan

Vince193

Remember that the Canucks Abroad twitter is run by a Voyageur, so the words "1st choice GK" may not necessarily be accurate.

If we look at the actual news release from the club, it does not mention anything about him being a starting keeper. What it does say (I'm interpreting Google translate here so I could be wrong), is that he is on loan until the end of the year, and a permanent transfer will come after.

http://korona-kielce.pl/news,9610-milan-borjan-pilkarzem-korony.html

"New Korona Kielce player was Milan Borjan! This 29-year-old Canadian, who has a Croatian passport because he was born in the former Yugoslavia. Goalkeeper has been on loan to the end of the current season with a definitive transfer."

22 hours ago, shermanator said:

Remember that the Canucks Abroad twitter is run by a Voyageur, so the words "1st choice GK" may not necessarily be accurate.

If we look at the actual news release from the club, it does not mention anything about him being a starting keeper. What it does say (I'm interpreting Google translate here so I could be wrong), is that he is on loan until the end of the year, and a permanent transfer will come after.

http://korona-kielce.pl/news,9610-milan-borjan-pilkarzem-korony.html

If you read the tweet, you would see that it clearly states he's the first choice keeper for our national team - which is entirely accurate because no other keeper has started a competitive match in nearly 2 years for us... 

Further to this, he's signing for a club in the top tier of a decent league. If he holds a regular place in the 11 - neither Leutwiler nor Simon Thomas will be taking that starting jersey. 

31 minutes ago, downtowntbrown_ said:

If you read the tweet, you would see that it clearly states he's the first choice keeper for our national team - which is entirely accurate because no other keeper has started a competitive match in nearly 2 years for us... 

Further to this, he's signing for a club in the top tier of a decent league. If he holds a regular place in the 11 - neither Leutwiler nor Simon Thomas will be taking that starting jersey. 

Fair enough, upon re-reading the tweet I misread. The Tweet was referring to Borjan's status with the national team and not Korona Kielce.

That said, the point still stands. While I and many others really appreciate the work that @Fussball_eh puts into the Canucks Abroad Twitter account, we have to remember that he is not a journalist. I know he has a few more contacts that the average fan, but that doesn't mean he's any more accurate of a source that anyone else. When using the account as a source of information that can be backed by official releases from clubs or game reports, it is a very valuable source of information. When the account does not do that, it is no more credible than any other blogger or fan account.

And I hope that doesn't coming across as shitting on the work that Jon does, because I do think it's valuable. But we have to take care in filtering out what is reputable and what isn't.

The Adam Straith "signing" with ICT is a prime example. We all thought it was happening because of the Tweet below from a fan Twitter account. But there were more reputable sources saying it wasn't done (as Canucks Abroad re-tweeted).

22 hours ago, shermanator said:

Fair enough, upon re-reading the tweet I misread. The Tweet was referring to Borjan's status with the national team and not Korona Kielce.

That said, the point still stands. While I and many others really appreciate the work that @Fussball_eh puts into the Canucks Abroad Twitter account, we have to remember that he is not a journalist. I know he has a few more contacts that the average fan, but that doesn't mean he's any more accurate of a source that anyone else. When using the account as a source of information that can be backed by official releases from clubs or game reports, it is a very valuable source of information. When the account does not do that, it is no more credible than any other blogger or fan account.

And I hope that doesn't coming across as shitting on the work that Jon does, because I do think it's valuable. But we have to take care in filtering out what is reputable and what isn't.

The Adam Straith "signing" with ICT is a prime example. We all thought it was happening because of the Tweet below from a fan Twitter account. But there were more reputable sources saying it wasn't done (as Canucks Abroad re-tweeted).

I just want to point out that I am not the only one tweeting from the Canucks Abroad account. There is actually about 7 of us. 

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Is he permanently at Korona or simply on loan from Ludogorets?

He's on loan with a buy option. The price is still unknown as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Zem

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, nolando said:

He has quietly put together a long list of big European matches for a guy with a relatively unstable career trajectory. All the best to him, he's still the best keeper we have in the whole program imo.

Is anyone even close to him?

Highlights of the CSKA - Red Star match that ended 1-0 for CSKA. Borjan is in almost every highlight shown so it seems like he had a strong match and that there was  a lot of one way traffic towards his goal. Can't fault him on the goal. Unfortunate that he got eliminated but he had a strong performance over the two legs which might wake some interest in him from Russian teams since many Serbian league players transfer to Russia.

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 12:37 AM, Zem said:

Named to the Serbian Super League Best XI and WhoScored's Europa League Team of the Tournament:

https://www.kurir.rs/sport/fudbal/3052367/fudbaleri-izabrali-najbolje-dominacija-crvene-zvezde-foto

Rubbing shoulders with the likes of Antoine Griezmann and Dimitri Payet, not bad.

Not to take anything away from him, but Oblak is European keeper of the year, in Spain he is undisputed #1. Perhaps because their Champions run landed them in Europa League less Atletico players figured. Still, two Ostersunds players, frankly it makes no sense. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not to take anything away from him, but Oblak is European keeper of the year, in Spain he is undisputed #1. Perhaps because their Champions run landed them in Europa League less Atletico players figured. Still, two Ostersunds players, frankly it makes no sense. 

You could have put the bus fire out with this parade raining ?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's just a statistical ranking. 

Edited by C2SKI

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I knew I was doing that, I am a fan of Borjan. But that ranking seemed rather odd overall to me.

Oh yeah I agree, Oblak has looked pretty amazing on the rare occasions I have seen him play. But it all lined up too well to not comment haha

Edited by Brethers8