Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

1 hour ago, matty said:

Huh? Like I could get it if you said "maybe he should look to an easier league next year or retire from the national team and focus solely on league play" but this is just huh?

Yes he is 35 and has a recurring issue but he still is able to perform at a high level and make a lot of money as a player (much more than he would as a coach at this stage). And a fucking rival in the same league is interested in him and we've had MLS rumours (via Whitecaps) for the past 2 years.

In addition, why should he just become a coach? He might not be suited to it? He might not like the money? He might prefer a more exec role or broadcasting?

Not that I think or expect Hutch to hang em up, but 35 is not an unreasonable age to retire.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not that I think or expect Hutch to hang em up, but 35 is not an unreasonable age to retire.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's not but to say he should just "hang it up" is stupid. I didn't know we lived in a Logan's run style world.

Also tg11 what do you actually know of Canadian soccer?

10 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Thank you

18 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

It's preposterous that some johnny-come-lately knob behind a keyboard would be suggesting that Atiba should retire!   

He'll retire when he's damn good and well ready to and that's that.    It's a very personal decision to make, and involves factors that no-one here on this board is privy to!

35 isn’t that old in football anymore anyways.. Quaresma and Pepe are the same age, teammates and starring in the World Cup.  If Atiba was on Panama he would be one of the younger players ?

35 is a young age in life and you’re playing in front of 50k people and making millions? Yes please. Coaches get none of that and can do it for the next 35 years. 

Edited by Keegan

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

35 isn’t that old in football anymore anyways.. Quaresma and Pepe are the same age, teammates and starring in the World Cup.  If Atiba was on Panama he would be one of the younger players ?

35 is a young age in life and you’re playing in front of 50k people and making millions? Yes please. Coaches get none of that and can do it for the next 35 years. 

For every Pepe and Quaresma there's a Julian deGuzman. Fortunately for us, I believe Hutchinson will resemble his club teammates.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Thank you

Appreciate it, but no need to thank me. I felt it was important to point out for the sake of the discussion.

1 hour ago, matty said:

It's not but to say he should just "hang it up" is stupid. I didn't know we lived in a Logan's run style world.

It's just an opinion. We only find it unreasonable because we are Canadian fans through and through. If we were talking about any other player retiring at 35 there'd be nothing stupid about it. Like I said, it's a perfectly understandable age to retire.

For the record though, i'm with you. He shouldn't. He can be and is still valuable for us and Besiktas too.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Also tg11 what do you actually know of Canadian soccer?

I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to know that he is past his prime. He is 35 so who knows how much longer he really has. It is more or less my opinion but Atiba could very well prove me wrong. That is all I am gonna say to you about this or anything for that matter.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For every Pepe and Quaresma there's a Julian deGuzman. Fortunately for us, I believe Hutchinson will resemble his club teammates.

Yeah but all of that is still yet to be decided anyway better yet it remains to be seen.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Appreciate it, but no need to thank me. I felt it was important to point out for the sake of the discussion.

It's just an opinion. We only find it unreasonable because we are Canadian fans through and through. If we were talking about any other player retiring at 35 there'd be nothing stupid about it. Like I said, it's a perfectly understandable age to retire.

For the record though, i'm with you. He shouldn't. He can be and is still valuable for us and Besiktas too.

Exactly we all have opinions and my opinion is that he should retire now before injuries start to catch up to him because they very well can. He isn't young anymore. However, who knows he could very well prove me wrong. That is my opinion anyway and I'm not gonna defend my opinion anymore especially on this subject.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

No it is not an unreasonable age if a player has noticeably declined and is no longer capable of playing at a decent level. Or his body has broken down and he's in pain. Or he's a multi-millionaire and owns an island in the south pacific and doesn't give a fuck anymore. None of these apply to Hutch. Hutch has been playing the best ball of his career the last 3-4 years, making the most money of his career and has been relatively injury free throughout his career. Tg11 suggesting he retire right now is fucking stupid.

Edited by jpg75

42 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to know that he is past his prime. He is 35 so who knows how much longer he really has. It is more or less my opinion but Atiba could very well prove me wrong. That is all I am gonna say to you about this or anything for that matter.

For past his prime he's arguably enjoyed the highest highs of his career over the last 2-3 seasons and is still playing 25+ games a season in a very strong league. My issue is how dead set you seem on the idea that he is done.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

For past his prime he's arguably enjoyed the highest highs of his career over the last 2-3 seasons and is still playing 25+ games a season in a very strong league. My issue is how dead set you seem on the idea that he is done.

This past season has been his worst. His knees aren't holding up and his age is starting to catch up to him. He's not done but I don't blame Besiktas for not wanting to give him a longer deal, nor do I blame Atiba for wanting a longer deal.

You know who should really hang it up, TOM BRADY!!  That goof is 40..I know its my opinion, and we all have opinions, and it might happen or not but he could get injured and i think he might maybe could play another year or two but maybe he would be better to hang up his boots, unless he doesnt which is cool I guess we'll see.  

4 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

This past season has been his worst. His knees aren't holding up and his age is starting to catch up to him. He's not done but I don't blame Besiktas for not wanting to give him a longer deal, nor do I blame Atiba for wanting a longer deal.

I know! He was fucking awful captaining Besiktas in Champions League and finishing the group stage with the highest pass completion % in the whole competition.

Look, I know a lot of you have been posting on here a long time  and followed Hutch's career closely.  You think he's pretty good, have witnessed his tremendous consistency for club and country, and truly believe he's got at least a couple good years left.  And you make some good points, you really do.  Champion's League and pass completion % and all that jazz.

But @Tg11 posts way more than any of you, pretty much owns every thread on here, and has won every day since he joined.  So forgive me if I think his opinion carries a little more weight than all of yours.

Conversation over.  Hutch is done.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to know that he is past his prime. He is 35 so who knows how much longer he really has. 

You should've stopped your post after the first 6 words.   

I didn't realize that as soon as you are past your prime you are supposed to retire.  I mean even if somebody still wants to pay you a crazy amount of money to play a game that you love.   

Wow man, You should drop whatever you're doing and become a sports agent.   You offer excellent career advice! 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

My issue is how stupid his position is cause we all know it is no where near the case. Even looking at the situation presented, which is "He wants to play for at least 2 more seasons and has interest elsewhere", flies in the face of he just hang up his boots now which is what TG11 is saying. The guy seems totally uninterested in details.

I can totally get it if Hutch hangs up his boots but from what is presented I don't think he wants to and all the power to him.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

I don't blame Besiktas is they don't want to give him a 2 year deal either but I do think he could get a 2 year deal elsewhere even with his most recent season.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Look, I know a lot of you have been posting on here a long time  and followed Hutch's career closely.  You think he's pretty good, have witnessed his tremendous consistency for club and country, and truly believe he's got at least a couple good years left.  And you make some good points, you really do.  Champion's League and pass completion % and all that jazz.

But @Tg11 posts way more than any of you, pretty much owns every thread on here, and has won every day since he joined.  So forgive me if I think his opinion carries a little more weight than all of yours.

Conversation over.  Hutch is done.

I hope everyone here likes your post so you win the day

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

No it is not an unreasonable age if a player has noticeably declined and is no longer capable of playing at a decent level. Or his body has broken down and he's in pain. Or he's a multi-millionaire and owns an island in the south pacific and doesn't give a fuck anymore. None of these apply to Hutch. Hutch has been playing the best ball of his career the last 3-4 years, making the most money of his career and has been relatively injury free throughout his career. Tg11 suggesting he retire right now is fucking stupid.

Agreed, and furthermore: I remember looking at Transfermarkt, or maybe a Besiktas fan site, not more than a year ago, and his salary was reported to be one of the lowest of the regular starts. So I think he was underpaid for his quality for most of his stint there. And that the good money is recent (if late). 

You have a family to care for and if you are fortunate enough to be a top level pro, you should keep working. 

(This is what I tell my friends as we approach potential retirement age: we may be tired, burnt out, sick of things, impatient, but as long as we physically can, we have to keep working. There will come a day when, for health reasons, we simply can't.)

14 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Exactly we all have opinions and my opinion is that he should retire now before injuries start to catch up to him because they very well can. He isn't young anymore.

Is it because you want to see him retire near the top of his game? So that we remember him as a top footballer? Something like that? If so, just communicate that with us.

There is a part of me that wishes Julian retired after he left FCD. The same part of me that wishes Landon Donavan stayed retired the first time. He came back to Galaxy to help them push for the playoffs, which was kind of silly, but he was doing a favour for his club - which I don't mind as much. Then, he came out of retirement AGAIN to "play" with Leon, struggling to see the field. He made a mockery of his legacy if you as me - not that I care about Landy cakes, but he is an American legend and it would have been nice to remember him as such, without the silly stuff at the end tarnishing his legacy a bit.

So I get it @Tg11, if that's what it is. But ALL of that being said, I think Hutch has at the minimum 1 more season left in him at this level. Let's see how he does. His numbers were down a bit last year and some Besiktas fans were unhappy with a couple of his performances, but overall, his standard has remained the same. It's not as if the majority of his minutes came off the bench, they didn't. He played more than Pepe from what I can tell. And like others said, he captained the side against Bayern. If he is not playing his best football of all time, then he is just a shade from his peak, but he definitely not CLEARY in decline, in my opinion.

So yeah, if you are worried about his legacy, I think it's a little pre-mature to be honest. But at least I can get where you're coming from.

But if you want him to retire for another reason, then I am just as bewildered as everyone else.

I don't want him to retire for another reason but it is nice to know that finally someone understands where I am coming from but more or less worried about his legacy considering he ain't getting any younger