Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

40 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

I don't want him to retire for another reason but it is nice to know that finally someone understands where I am coming from but more or less worried about his legacy considering he ain't getting any younger

Yeah I figured that's where you were coming from, and fair enough.

As you can see, that is not a popular opinion around here, because being hardcore Canadian fans, most of us would rather squeeze every ounce of productivity out of Hutchinson, rather than see him retire on top, so to speak. It is all about the program and the mission to improve Canadian soccer, inch by inch. That is also why very few people here want Hutchinson to step away from the national team right now, even though I think we'd be okay considering how some of our midfielders have developed. I wouldn't have said that a season or two ago.

And for the record I want Hutchinson to continue playing for club and country.

Like I said, give it one more season. I think Hutchinson will prove you wrong and demonstrate he is not over the hill quite yet :)

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I figured that's where you were coming from, and fair enough.

As you can see, that is not a popular opinion around here, because being hardcore Canadian fans, most of us would rather squeeze every ounce of productivity out of Hutchinson, rather than see him retire on top, so to speak.

That's not what he said. You put words in his mouth and he even told you in his last post that was not what he intended, but he's not disagreeing. Your peacemaker role is getting in the way of comprehension.

You're also putting words in our mouths. Even if Hutch nevers plays for Canada again i still don't want him to retire because he has no reason to. He still has tread on the tires and has a young family to care for, why hang the boots up for something as vain as "legacy" when he can still make another 7 figure Euro paycheque for 2 more seasons. He's got the rest of his life to sit on his ass, take advantage of what youth he has left to keep living out his dream.

18 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to know that he is past his prime. He is 35 so who knows how much longer he really has. It is more or less my opinion but Atiba could very well prove me wrong. That is all I am gonna say to you about this or anything for that matter.

@jpg75Generally speaking (which he is, because as he admits, he doesn't know a whole lot about Hutchinson/Canadian soccer), players are past their prime at 35.

Hutchinson though, as we know (because we follow him closely), has played some of his best football in the last few years, which bucks that general trend of players being "past their prime" at 35.

What I see is a lot of people jumping on @Tg11 because they think he is insulting Hutchinson's ability, as if he's claiming Atiba's performances are poor since he's "no longer in his prime", which of course is preposterous and would come off as "uninformed" at best, and "trolling" at worst. So I see where everyone is coming from. 

But did he cite examples of Hutchinson being past it? Not that I see.

I believe his point is that "Hutchinson is at the age where he should be past it, but he's not yet, so he should retire at the peak of his powers before his age (and previous injuries) catch up with him and his performance begin to really suffer.

And frankly, wanting him to retire with a sterling track record is vain. You are not wrong. But calling it stupid because you are looking at it from a different perspective is, well kinda stupid.

This is just a case of an "outsider" giving an outside perspective. 

I could ask any of my non-canadian invested soccer friends whether Atiba Hutchinson is past his prime. They'd probably ask (to my horror) who he is and how old is he. I would explain he plays for Besiktas and is 35 and they'd probably think "35 is pretty old".

So I would treat @Tg11 like I would treat them in that situation. Since neither knows much about Canadian soccer or Hutchinson, I am not going to get defensive and take it as an attack on our beloved Atiba.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@jpg75Generally speaking (which he is, because as he admits, he doesn't know a whole lot about Hutchinson/Canadian soccer), players are past their prime at 35.

Hutchinson though, as we know (because we follow him closely), has played some of his best football in the last few years, which bucks that general trend of players being "past their prime" at 35.

What I see is a lot of people jumping on @Tg11 because they think he is insulting Hutchinson's ability, as if he's claiming Atiba's performances are poor since he's "no longer in his prime", which of course is preposterous and would come off as "uninformed" at best, and "trolling" at worst. So I see where everyone is coming from. 

But did he cite examples of Hutchinson being past it? Not that I see.

I believe his point is that "Hutchinson is at the age where he should be past it, but he's not yet, so he should retire at the peak of his powers before his age (and previous injuries) catch up with him and his performance begin to really suffer.

And frankly, wanting him to retire with a sterling track record is vain. You are not wrong. But calling it stupid because you are looking at it from a different perspective is, well kinda stupid.

This is just a case of an "outsider" giving an outside perspective. 

I could ask any of my non-canadian invested soccer friends whether Atiba Hutchinson is past his prime. They'd probably ask (to my horror) who he is and how old is he. I would explain he plays for Besiktas and is 35 and they'd probably think "35 is pretty old".

So I would treat @Tg11 like I would treat them in that situation. Since neither knows much about Canadian soccer or Hutchinson, I am not going to get defensive and take it as an attack on our beloved Atiba.

Thank you I don't think that I was claiming he was past it nor did I cite any examples. Glad someone is listening. 

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

You're also putting words in our mouths. Even if Hutch nevers plays for Canada again i still don't want him to retire because he has no reason to. He still has tread on the tires and has a young family to care for, why hang the boots up for something as vain as "legacy" when he can still make another 7 figure Euro paycheque for 2 more seasons. He's got the rest of his life to sit on his ass, take advantage of what youth he has left to keep living out his dream.

Yeah but you wouldn't want him to retire from the national team, I am assuming.

That was my point.

@jpg75 in the second quote, I believe what he means is that he should be past his prime based on age. 35 is not a prime age for a midfielder. Thus he is not in his prime.

Like I said though, Hutchinson is playing better than expected given his age. That is why @Tg11 says in the first quote he's not past it. 

I think he could have obviously communicated this better, as to not cause confusion.

But I don't think he's deliberately trolling here.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Obinna

I've heard from Besiktas fans that he's starting to lose his legs. I don't see enough of him myself to judge, but we'll find out soon enough if he can still play at the same level. Even if he can't, I think he could drop a level and still be dominant. He's an intelligent player. 

It'll be a sad day for Canada when he does decide to leave the game. We don't have an equal replacement.

Okay okay...

Fact #1) Atiba is past his 'prime', but is still an effective player.
Fact #2) Atiba would like to continue playing, and has contract offers from teams including Besiktas
Fact #3) Despite Fact #1 and Fact #2, Tg11 suggested Atiba should just retire immediately.

It's really the last point that derailed everything. I think people were just flabbergasted (including me)

15 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I don't want him to retire for another reason but it is nice to know that finally someone understands where I am coming from but more or less worried about his legacy considering he ain't getting any younger

His legacy is secure, have no fear. If we were talking about GSP, where losing your form in the Octagon could result in massive damage, especially debilitating head injury, I would be right with you suggesting he retire. But this is football. Worst case scenario—reasonably—is Hutch signs a two year contract and rides the pine most of the time. I trust Hutch. The dude is smart as hell. He will make an intelligent decision.

Man, people seem really passionate about what tg11 says.

I dont know how to say this without sounding condescending, but essentially, not everyone with a phone and too much time on their hands is a middle-aged lifelong supporter. Forgetting that can make a lot of people sound out of touch... thus said, the trolls won the internet a long time ago and we all joined in.

30 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

I dont know how to say this without sounding condescending, but essentially, not everyone with a phone and too much time on their hands is a middle-aged lifelong supporter. Forgetting that can make a lot of people sound out of touch... 

Exactly.

53 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

I dont know how to say this without sounding condescending, but essentially, not everyone with a phone and too much time on their hands is a middle-aged lifelong supporter. Forgetting that can make a lot of people sound out of touch... thus said, the trolls won the internet a long time ago and we all joined in.

What a passive-aggressive douche.

Maybe tg11 is a troll. Maybe he's just an annoying guy. Either way he's posting so much that just about everybody is bothered by it. That's the litmus test and he failed. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Maybe tg11 is a troll. Maybe he's just an annoying guy. Either way he's posting so much that just about everybody is bothered by it. That's the litmus test and he failed. 

He's not a troll. He's just trying (way too hard) to fit in. As with the rest of the Vees who post here, we can either engage him or just move along. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

He's not a troll. He's just trying (way too hard) to fit in. As with the rest of the Vees who post here, we can either engage him or just move along. 

I dont think he is a troll, and i love his enthusiasm.  But if he took a little of time and energy he puts into posting and instead read some of the threads, or searched for a little on his own everyone wouldnt get so worked up.  Most of us can have differing opinions on a lot of things without annoying 99% of the group.  

As far as Hutch, of course he is on the downside, but he still is a very good player.  If he cant make a long term deal anymore at 35, I'm sure he can still drop to a lower league and play on if he so chooses.  Selfishly I would like to see him come back to canada and get some of the recognition a CDN soccer hero like him deserves.  Play a season or two in MLS get his face plastered all over the CDN media and make some money off local endorsements etc.  He can be the new poster boy for PIZZA PIZZA instead of GIO.  

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, jpg75 said:

lol, and he failed inclusion into what? The V master race?

59 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

lol, and he failed inclusion into what? The V master race?

Jesus.  Don't act like people are mean girling him on the site.  He spams virtually every thread endlessly, asks about things that are known to anyone with any kind of background as a Canadian soccer supporter, doesn't bother to read the past posts on threads he is vigorously posting on, and has claimed that (despite the time to post endlessly on here) he lacks the time to actually watch the games he posts endlessly about.  Anyone who has spent any time on any forum knows that he is way over the top in just about any reasonable metric - so yeah, people are calling him out on it.  

It isn't about some goddamn master race (holy fucking Godwin's law) - it is about expecting the most basic modicum of forum etiquette - which is something most new posters would make some effort to display in an effort to respect the existing crowd. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jesus.  Don't act like people are mean girling him on the site.  He spams virtually every thread endlessly, asks about things that are known to anyone with any kind of background as a Canadian soccer supporter, doesn't bother to read the past posts on threads he is vigorously posting on, and has claimed that (despite the time to post endlessly on here) he lacks the time to actually watch the games he posts endlessly about.  Anyone who has spent any time on any forum knows that he is way over the top in just about any reasonable metric - so yeah, people are calling him out on it.  

It isn't about some goddamn master race (holy fucking Godwin's law) - it is about expecting the most basic modicum of forum etiquette - which is something most new posters would make some effort to display in an effort to respect the existing crowd. 

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on this quasi intelligible translation from July 14th, Atiba has not yet agreed terms with Besiktas:

At the end of May 31st at the end of the contract, Atiba Hutchinson will become known within three days at Beşiktaş. Members of the black-and-white transfer committee have not been able to meet in common with the Canadian player he has seen since the end of last season. Wanted to make a decision within 3 days After the negotiations locked on a 35-year-old player's 2-year contract, But this time, too, negotiations did not come out because of Atiba's high annual fee requirement. Chairman Fikret Orman said on the occasion of his recent Canadian striker "We want to continue with Atiba. However, last year's figures are not. He needs to step down a bit. " Atiba Hutchinson's response expected According to the report in the calendar, President Fikret Orman sent the following message to the Canadian star. "We will accept our offer within 3 days or we will go into other searches

Is Galatasaray in for Hutchinson?

https://m.haberturk.com/galatasaray-icin-atiba-hutchinson-iddiasi-2066266-spor

Galatasaray, who took Muğdat Çelik as a contractor without a loan, rented a loan between Yuto Nagatomo last season and lastly rented Henry Onyekuru from Everton, followed by Atiba Hutchinson.

The yellow-red management is planning to sign a 2-year contract in case the deal can be signed with the Canadian footballer who is looking forward to the transfer because he is in the hands of the boss

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Is Galatasaray in for Hutchinson?

https://m.haberturk.com/galatasaray-icin-atiba-hutchinson-iddiasi-2066266-spor

Galatasaray, who took Muğdat Çelik as a contractor without a loan, rented a loan between Yuto Nagatomo last season and lastly rented Henry Onyekuru from Everton, followed by Atiba Hutchinson.

The yellow-red management is planning to sign a 2-year contract in case the deal can be signed with the Canadian footballer who is looking forward to the transfer because he is in the hands of the boss

He can say goodbye to his hero status in Besiktas if he makes the move.  Money talks, however.

22 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Hutchinson already debunked it on insta on the weekend he said something like “don’t believe the rumours they aren’t true”.

Glad to hear that. Would be unfortunate to see him go to a rival.