Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know what's going on with Elva? We're at the halfway point of the 2.Bundesliga season. It would be a shame if the opportunity to play in this division passes him by.

The only thing I can find is that he had knee surgery - return unknown:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/caniggia-elva/profil/spieler/330795

Presumably the surgery was in the off-season.

Why the long lay off? Did he tear his ACL in the offseason? If so, I can understand why he wouldn't yet be back. Akinola did his in the summer and he only just returned to jogging.

I hope this is just a case of a lack of information, rather than some complications with his surgery. He's still with the club, supposedly, because his profile is on the official website, he's in the squad photo, etc. I really want this guy to taste the German second division before they go back down. They are in dead last at the moment. 

He's out of contract in the summer. I wonder if he leaves the club to maybe try something different? I feel with his resume he could probably earn a contract in the Austrian Bundesliga, hop skip and a jump from Bavaria. Come next season he'll be 26 years old, and Ingolstadt will surely be back in Liga 3.

If you are Elva, do you grind it out (again) in that division, or do you get a fresh start and maybe climb the ladder elsewhere? Maybe start small with a modest Austrian Bundesliga side, do well in the league, then try for transfer up?

• 6 months later...

He's still a good age. It's not too late for him to resurrect his career, maybe even get a future look with the national team. 

I would be in favour of him climbing a different pyramid. Perhaps a move to Austria or Switzerland?

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With our current depth, at what point might he be tempted by St. Lucia?

Only after 2026?

It's a good question. It may depend on whether he wants to be an international for them.

Part of me thinks if he was interested in St. Lucia he would have switched by now, because it's not like he's been narrowly missing Canada calls and waiting for a stroke of good fortune. In fact, he hasn't been anywhere near the Canadian picture for a long time, unless you take stock in him being listed to the 60-man preliminary roster for GC 21.

Before that you have to go back to 2017 to find any involvement for Canada on the senior level. He was called for a friendly against El Salvador, but didn't play.

Edited by Obinna

St Lucia international, with the travel, injury opportunities, and no hope of a World Cup isn’t a career-helper. It’s a hindrance right now. He’ll wait a few more years to go their way -with the caveat that if he finds himself in a marginal pro league then he might switch earlier to make the most of it while he is still playing.

• 4 months later...

I think at this point we can re-title this thread to simply "Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva". Been a while now since he was a touted youth prospect. No disrespect in that statement. 3. Liga is a decent level and he's made a decent career of it that can stand on it's own merits IMO. Hope he lands somewhere where he can get some consistent minutes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva
  • 6 months later...