Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

It might be idiotic if he is under the illusion that Floro might not notice and if Lucas was still thinking he might still accept a call up. Or if he cared what we think of him on this forum. I'm guessing from the article though that none of the above are true. He seems content with his life as it is and so be it.

I'm just glad to have confirmation that I don't need to emotionally invest in the chance of him playing for us again.

Now, if Floro called him again and he accepted... That's a different story. He would have to answer for this article big time. Don't see it happening, though.

Edited by shorty

It might be idiotic if he is under the illusion that Floro might not notice and if Lucas was still thinking he might still accept a call up. Or if he cared what we think of him on this forum. I'm guessing from the article though that none of the above are true. He seems content with his life as it is and so be it.

I'm just glad to have confirmation that I don't need to emotionally invest in the chance of him playing for us again.

Now, if Floro called him again and he accepted... That's a different story. He would have to answer for this article big time. Don't see it happening, though.

Agreed. We all were upset about Marco Bustos going to Chile camp, then he suited up for our u20s.

Either he moves on and so do we. Or we see what he says when he comes back.

I think it's a brilliant excuse! Well, honey, my hands are tied: the one and only reason I can't play for Uruguay because I'm cap-tied to Canada. Otherwise Daddy would for sure 100% without a doubt be playing in between Suarez and Cavani.

We seem to have a penchant for developing delusional players. He's not even getting looks with his parent club. He really thinks he's good enough for Uruguay?

Instead he should be saying he wants his daughter to be proud of him for helping Canada. What a fucking muppet.

What i dont get is the kid plays u20 u23 sr mens team for us. Then has a daughter in uruguay and all of a sudden is ashamed he played for canada and wishes he could play for uruguay?

Why did you continually represent canada at various levels if you wanted to play for uruguay. I can see making the mistake once like bustos, but continually representing canada then all of a sudden being ashamed because of an 8-1 loss.

Watch us make it to the hex or world cup and all of a sudden he wants back in. I'm confident (and i hope) floro would tell him to shove it. Like he said canada isnt a 2nd option or a plan b.

Edited by king1010

What i dont get is the kid plays u20 u23 sr mens team for us. Then has a daughter in uruguay and all of a sudden is ashamed he played for canada and wishes he could play for uruguay?

Why did you continually represent canada at various levels if you wanted to play for uruguay. I can see making the mistake once like bustos, but continually representing canada then all of a sudden being ashamed because of an 8-1 loss.

Watch us make it to the hex or world cup and all of a sudden he wants back in. I'm confident (and i hope) floro would tell him to shove it. Like he said canada isnt a 2nd option or a plan b.

I think something's being lost in translation, you don't go from repping a side multiple times to this.

The answer to Cavallini is simple. Forget about him. Focus on the guys who will wear the Maple Leaf with pride. Larin, Hamilton, Haber, Ricketts, Jackson, THESE are the guys we should support.

As Floro says, on his team, Canada will never be second place.

Edited by shermanator

It's possible, of course, that he was laying it on a bit thick for the local media. "Wow, Uruguay is fantastic! Wish I could play for them, haha!" Then tack on a little Google Translate.

But that's a boring possibility. TRAITOR BASTARD DROWN HIM IN THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE

Agree with above. Surprised to see people flying off the handle about this.

also, is this the first time people are this angry about a guy who is cap tied to Canada? This has to be a first even for us.

You should have been around for some of the Radzinski days.

Well, it is someone that has allegedly turned down multiple call ups for his country, to the point where Floro has said he is now behind other strikers. Then this article comes out. Considering Emery Welshman accepting a callup for Guyana created a pretty big stir, is anyone really surprised people are pissed about the situation? 

So, I stick to my original point which is that we should just forget about Cavallini. He cannot have an international football career without Canada, and if that is what he wants, so be it. I will strike him from memory.

I'm sure Floro's read the original version, so nothing lost in translation where it matters. If memory serves well, I think Floro's exact words, were something to the effect of, he's tried to contact Lucas, but no response from the player. I.e. not even a the infamous "focusing on club career" excuse.

If that is all true and if we do make the HEX (or 2016 Copa America) and he comes back looking to jump back on the band wagon, I really hope Floro takes no shit and tells him to bugger off.

I do think the whole situation's a shame though. 

It's a loss from Canada's perspective. He might not be getting too much love from his parent club at the moment, and he might be turning 23yrs old (at which point, most prospects probably would have earned a transfer abroad), and the defending might be bush-league, but he does have a pretty sick strike rate and bring a different set of tools than all of our other striking options.

I also think it's an opportunity lost for Lucas as well. It's great that he can score goals against paper defences, but we're about to play a gold cup and a bunch of world cup qualifiers against much better opposition that he's used to playing, on a much bigger stage than he's used to, and if he doesn't see that as a development opportunity to be taken advantage of, then that's his loss.

Final point: It's interesting to me that he's referred to on many occasions in that article as "Canadian", and it seems to me that he's proud of his accomplishments, specifically, given that he's Canadian. E.g. first Canadian to score in Uruguayan D1, etc. While at the same time, he's simultaneously ashamed to be a Canadian soccer player, and would rather be Uruguayan. It seems to me that he is both proud of what he has accomplished, but at the same time, ashamed of where he's coming from. I honestly wish he had the self confidence to own both realities at the same time.