Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Why would Nacional hold Cavallini back?  That makes no sense.  First off, he's on loan so why would they care, second off playing internationally will only help to raise his value/profile and third off he's going to be playing under Floro and learning.  It makes no sense why Cavallini and/or Nacional wouldn't want this.

The thing that gets me is that Cavallani was SO pumepd to be getting a call up to help Canada in Honduras. Then they got pounded. I remember reading his twitter about how excited he was to get the call.

Did the 8-1 drubbing affect his psychee and perception of the national team?

EDIT: here was one of the many tweets about how excited he was

Game should have been a win for us but I'm happy for the goal and now flight tonight first class to meet up wit #CMNT in Honduras for Tues!!

his twitter account has long been deleted now

Edited by king1010

The thing that gets me is that Cavallani was SO pumepd to be getting a call up to help Canada in Honduras. Then they got pounded. I remember reading his twitter about how excited he was to get the call.

Did the 8-1 drubbing affect his psychee and perception of the national team?

EDIT: here was one of the many tweets about how excited he was

Game should have been a win for us but I'm happy for the goal and now flight tonight first class to meet up wit #CMNT in Honduras for Tues!!

his twitter account has long been deleted now

He's an idiot then if he takes one loss as meaning the program isn't worth his time.

Why would Nacional hold Cavallini back? That makes no sense. First off, he's on loan so why would they care, second off playing internationally will only help to raise his value/profile and third off he's going to be playing under Floro and learning. It makes no sense why Cavallini and/or Nacional wouldn't want this.

Couple of things might be happening:

- isn't he having a baby?

- Nacional(Fenix) might have told him you go to play for Canada we will bench you upon your return.

Its simple he wants to play and make a name for himself. If they bench him he won't have a career. The club is looking at the fact his value might go up faster at the club level than by going to play for his country.

If one looks at the amount of foreigners that play in 1division Uruguay. According to wiki its like 20guys total!! So no wonder Lucas doesn't wanna lose the spot.

Edited by canadianfoot

Why would Nacional hold Cavallini back?  That makes no sense.  First off, he's on loan so why would they care, second off playing internationally will only help to raise his value/profile and third off he's going to be playing under Floro and learning.  It makes no sense why Cavallini and/or Nacional wouldn't want this.

Most football men in SA have a very low opinion of Canadian soccer. Heck before the WC the Uruguayan press and fans figured they had 3 points in the bag from their match with Costa Rica and we are nowhere near the same level as the Ticos. An 8-1 ass kicking in Honduras probably got the Nacional staff convincing Lucas there was no value for him to play for Canada. Remember his brother was on twitter talking about how their whole family is super patriotic.

I'm speculating obviously, but how else do you explain a guy whose rah-rah about his country refusing call-ups?

I've had a few conversations with former MNT players who played overseas. All of them stated very bluntly how much pressure they were under to not accept a national team call up. Managers said to them that they were at risk of losing their spot to someone else (often a player from the country the club was in and not a foreigner) and that it would then be difficult for them to break back into the starting 11. They also expressed even if the managers backed off, they might pick up an injury and be in the same boat. All this was exacerbated by the view that European or S American players were more valuable than Canadian players and that the Canadians always had to do twice as much to prove themselves (their words not mine).

Despite these influences, all still played for Canada either regularly or intermittently.

I'm only relating these stories as they speak to some of the points above. Logical or not, the players I have spoken to felt very strongly that playing internationally could have potentially significantly damaged their club situation at the time. As much as it may seem that doing well for Canada may enhance their reputation as a footballer, lead to them being seen more by scouts, and improve their club situation, they felt the opposite was true.

I've had a few conversations with former MNT players who played overseas. All of them stated very bluntly how much pressure they were under to not accept a national team call up. Managers said to them that they were at risk of losing their spot to someone else (often a player from the country the club was in and not a foreigner) and that it would then be difficult for them to break back into the starting 11. They also expressed even if the managers backed off, they might pick up an injury and be in the same boat. All this was exacerbated by the view that European or S American players were more valuable than Canadian players and that the Canadians always had to do twice as much to prove themselves (their words not mine).

Despite these influences, all still played for Canada either regularly or intermittently.

I'm only relating these stories as they speak to some of the points above. Logical or not, the players I have spoken to felt very strongly that playing internationally could have potentially significantly damaged their club situation at the time. As much as it may seem that doing well for Canada may enhance their reputation as a footballer, lead to them being seen more by scouts, and improve their club situation, they felt the opposite was true.

It sucks to be a Canadian player as I believe our players have have to do twice to prove themselves in Canadian soil too. I read an article news not long ago about Chilean Jorge Valdivia, actually in Brazilian club Palmeiras. The article quoted him saying "to be a starter, the foreigner has to be 2 times better than the local player".

It sucks to be a Canadian player as I believe our players have have to do twice to prove themselves in Canadian soil too. I read an article news not long ago about Chilean Jorge Valdivia, actually in Brazilian club Palmeiras. The article quoted him saying "to be a starter, the foreigner has to be 2 times better than the local player".

That's interesting.

What I find interesting is what Floro seems to be willing to say publicly about Cavallini's situation.  He has essentially suggested that he's being evaded or ignored.  If this were a simple case of pressure from club management or a "I want to wait til I'm established" situation, would Floro be handling it more neutrally?

Edited by Marc

Most football men in SA have a very low opinion of Canadian soccer. Heck before the WC the Uruguayan press and fans figured they had 3 points in the bag from their match with Costa Rica and we are nowhere near the same level as the Ticos. An 8-1 ass kicking in Honduras probably got the Nacional staff convincing Lucas there was no value for him to play for Canada. Remember his brother was on twitter talking about how their whole family is super patriotic.

I'm speculating obviously, but how else do you explain a guy whose rah-rah about his country refusing call-ups?

What I don't get is that why hasn't Lucas told Floro this? I would imagine Floro would be very accomodating if Lucas flat out said "My team told me not to go or i'll get benched." The way Floro makes it sound is that Lucas just says he doesn't want to come.

• 5 months later...

What the fuck. well daughter i cant represent uruguay because A) im not good enough but more importantly :cool: i decided to represent my birth country that gave my family economic success and allowed me to pursue my football ambitions and come back to uruguay and be in a financial position to raise you in mid to upper class household.

FFS. no respect or appreciation for what canada has provided. Hope he never returns and hes ok to hand back his passport to the canadian government. And while hes at it ask his parents to return theirs as well.

Enjoy the rest of your life playing uruguay mens league.

October 2012 I was summoned to play against Honduras in Honduras, for the most. I was at home to fall asleep. It was a Friday night. Youth playing with tomorrow against Phoenix and they called me because he had injured 9 and needed a replacement. The game was a Tuesday. On Saturday I made a goal, drew with Phoenix and went to the airport and traveled almost'm late, but did not play input. I am ashamed the result was defeat 8 to 1. I came in the 65th minute and I could do something, I could change the game a little bit. So I made my debut in the major, in an official qualifying match, but now I regret it because the truth, my daughter can someday says, "Daddy, why could never play Uruguayan national team?".

Edited by king1010