Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

The only question is how motivated Colombia will be for this game. Nothing's at stake, opponent not really appealing for them...I guess with their foot off the pedal damage can be limited to 2-0, 3-0. If they go full throttle, things could get ugly. In hockey terms it's like Canada plays freakin' Belgium.

Edited by shamrock

The only question is how motivated Colombia will be for this game. Nothing's at stake, opponent not really appealing for them...I guess with their foot off the pedal damage can be limited to 2-0, 3-0. If they go full throttle, things could get ugly. In hockey terms it's like Canada plays freakin' Belgium.

I'm a little less pessimistic. El Salvador lost 3-0 and they traditionally play more open than we do. Our defensive shape and team pressing have improved greatly under Benito. Even if Colombia really attack us with intent it won't be easy for them to break us down. My main concern are unforced errors... a la Straith versus Greece. If we are really focused I think we can limit them to a goal or two. Let's see how we cope. 

I'm a little less pessimistic. El Salvador lost 3-0 and they traditionally play more open than we do. Our defensive shape and team pressing have improved greatly under Benito. Even if Colombia really attack us with intent it won't be easy for them to break us down. My main concern are unforced errors... a la Straith versus Greece. If we are really focused I think we can limit them to a goal or two. Let's see how we cope. 

I remember before we played Greece I was thinking how weak our roster was compared to theirs and that we may get crushed.  Looking back that team wasn't bad at all compared to the roster we have for this match.. two players who received their first caps against Greece (Edgar and Ricketts) are arguably 2 of our key players now. 

Based on what Floro said in his interview, Cavallini doesn't really want to play for us.

Well I dont think its a permanent thing. Sounds more like he wants to be with his family because his wife/ gf is pregnant. We'll see if he is there when it really mattters, Aka june WCQ and July Gold cup.

At least we don't have the worry of him switching national teams hanging over our head.

Edited by king1010

Well I dont think its a permanent thing. Sounds more like he wants to be with his family because his wife/ gf is pregnant. We'll see if he is there when it really mattters, Aka june WCQ and July Gold cup.

At least we don't have the worry of him switching national teams hanging over our head.

Not sure if it lost in translation, but the way Floro put it it seemed he was contacted but did not even respond.

• 4 weeks later...

Floro was asked about Cavallini and said he said that he called Lucas in like 4 times but every time "he'd find a reason not to join." Floro also indicated that players like him won't be a part of the team anymore, and will only be called in when an available player can't make it to the team.

Bravo Floro, we have needed a coach with this attitude for a long time. This is one of many reasons why we can have a strong game with a B team against Colombia under him while under previous coaches we were struggling against minnows with our strongest lineup. 

I actually like this approach as well. Its harsh enough that it sends a message to the uncommitted players but also doesn't close the door either. With our talent pool their will almost undoubtedly be a chance when some player's can't make it (at forward who is there other than Ricketts, Jackson and Haber...) so when an injury eventually occurs hopefully we see Lucas make time for the team and learn his lesson.  

Edited by IceCreamMan

Floro was asked about Cavallini and said he said that he called Lucas in like 4 times but every time "he'd find a reason not to join." Floro also indicated that players like him won't be a part of the team anymore, and will only be called in when an available player can't make it to the team.

Damn straight!! Well done coach. This is another advantage of having a coach from Europe with the qualifications Floro has. They don't waste time or fret over players who are fence sitters. With them it is just "NEXT".

Good for Floro. This will make other players think twice about skipping out and thinking they can just waltz back in whenever. Also injuries happen all the time and I am sure if Cavallani reached out to Floro saying he would like to committ to the next friendly camp Floro would call him up. But if he calls to be a part of a WCQ or Gold Cup whithout having attended any friendly camps then me thinks Floro tells him to beat it unless we're really desperate.

I think the wise decicion for Cavallani would be to attend camp bacon because he has the January break in Uruguay anyways. That and it will probably be a camp with not as much european players aka less attacking optons. Plus the U20's won't be available as they are at Concacaf qualifying.

I'd say Floro F*cks with his cock good for him!

Wow, about bloody time.

Lucas wont play for us until he is a regular at Nacional and lands his first significant contract.  No doubt he is currently playing for peanuts.  Players on lower table south american teams ride their bikes or take the bus to games, and live with their parents.  It is what it is.  Lets accept it and let him germinate down there.  Time to move on while keeping a distant eye on his progression.  

Lucas wont play for us until he is a regular at Nacional and lands his first significant contract.  No doubt he is currently playing for peanuts.  Players on lower table south american teams ride their bikes or take the bus to games, and live with their parents.  It is what it is.  Lets accept it and let him germinate down there.  Time to move on while keeping a distant eye on his progression.  

So, why did he play for us in the first place 2 years ago? I don't buy it. If he's with the national team, he would make some money for being there.