Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Larin, Ricketts, Jackson, Haber.. and then secondary guys like Dan Haber, REB and Jordan Hamilton.

I don't see Cavallini being heads and shoulders above anyone in that first group.

I don't know... that isn't a very daunting list of strikers. I would put Cavallini ahead of everyone on that list, save maybe Larin depending on how his season turns out. If Cavallini wasn't such a d!ck I would definitely be calling him.  But he is, so too bad for him, and, being honest, too bad for Canada.

Basically everyone loses :(

ya, wouldve been nice to call up and mix in with those guys in that list. at least see what the hell kinda of level hes playing at in uruguay.

This guy made the dumbest career move. He could've come into the NT and perhaps been a stud, banged in a couple in the gold cup and help us qualify for the Copa America. Doesn't he think if he scored and played in the Copa America he would finally get a look at from Nacional or maybe even a sniff in Mexico, Brazil or Argentina. But no hes content to play at some bottom feeder club in Uruguay for the foreseeable future. Whats the worst thing that could've happened if he played for us? He doesn't score? ok you can still go back to your shitty Uruguayan league. 

Edited by king1010

Not to be nit picking but Jakovic should be ahead of Opare and Akindele and Hoilett need to switch wings. Aside from that very cool chart!

Edit: No Ouimette but Edson Edward as 2nd back up? I don't even think he makes the list since he's never ever been called despite being elligable

Edited by Obinna

Starting with the one who is not eligible?

He is working to get his canadian citizenship. Its all he needs. He wants to play for us and has made that public. Thats the biggest hurdle and none of the others have full out said they want canada.

Edited by king1010

Our lack of depth is even more startling when you see the depth chart we're always one John Simpson injury away from disaster.

At this point Hutchinson going down would be the only disaster from that depth chart.  We are very deep in mediocre players at every position it seems lol.

At this point Hutchinson going down would be the only disaster from that depth chart.  We are very deep in mediocre players at every position it seems lol.

I'd argue that Cyle Larin going down would be close. Especially if Occean is done.

Not to be nit picking but Jakovic should be ahead of Opare and Akindele and Hoilett need to switch wings. Aside from that very cool chart!

Edit: No Ouimette but Edson Edward as 2nd back up? I don't even think he makes the list since he's never ever been called despite being elligable

Come onn give me a break, they can play on either side lol you got the gist. :cool:

But I'm a believer in if you have played a position the majority of your life in North American soccer (meaning your not world class). You do not automatically become better than a RB because you're an okay CB or you have played at RB before. There different positions, with different priorities and we consistently see that when Henry, Jackovic, Hainault, Attakora, or Ouimette go from CB to RB. It almost seems as if they're lost and it just comes down to the best player is the one who doesn't make any defensive mistakes. Our LB's aren't an issue because they're true modern day LB's. (De Jong, Morgan, Adekugbe....Pasher may surprise some) All those guys are former LM's.

So EE is on that list because he's one of the only true RB's we have right now, and he's playing decently and consistently in Edmonton. I just don't understand why Floro won't give him a look, especially when thats one of our needs/weak spots.

Here's a look at our depth chart with players in the natural positions: 

vjcz4.jpg

Starting Lineup should be:

----------------------Cyle Larin

Osorio ------------Atiba Hutch -------------- Akindele

----------Tiebert --------------- Pacheco---------------

DeJong ----- Edgar ---- Henry --------Ledge ------

I really like Adekugbe at LeftBack to give us some width, he's young but ahead of the curve. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Hainualt and Edgar in the middle and moving Henry to RB.  Will Johnson is someone who can come in, but he's on my bench until we see how he has come back from injury.

I suspect my lineup is too young for FLORO, preferring to go with experience over youth. So he is likely to continue to use JDG instead of Tiebert and Ricketts instead of Osorio. Akindele will make the right decision you will see.

Also please do not bring on Bekker.

#InFloroWeTrust

Me thinks something has gotten lost in the translation and that all reads a little harsher than its meant.

Much like I don't mean to be defending the guy but it must read that way.  Good example, no?

Not dissing Google translate, but Spanish is my first language and I can assure you it is just as bad as it looks. I'll provide a more reader-friendly translation below. I didn't translate the start since it's the reporter writing about his dad being Argentinian and mom being Canadian. Also, I skipped the part where he talks about his time at Nacional and trying to break through to the first team. I translated what would be relevant to us here.

"...por eso yo empecé a jugar al fútbol en Canadá a los tres años en un cuadro de baby fútbol que se llama Club Uruguay. El padre de un amigo era el técnico y eran todos uruguayos y mi padre me llevó a jugar ahí. De ahí fui a jugar a otros cuadros locales de Toronto. Jugábamos fútbol de a once y en invierno, cuando por la nieve no se podía jugar afuera, jugábamos fútbol sala. A los dieciséis años vine a Uruguay, porque siempre quise jugar fútbol profesional en Sudamérica, en el Río de la Plata, primero que nada en Argentina pero como tenía un conocido, Jorge Armúa, que tenía contactos acá en Uruguay y venía a un cuadro grande como Nacional, quise venir a Uruguay.

"... and that's why I began to play Soccer in Canada at age 3, in a Club for kids that was called Club Uruguay. My friends father was the coach and they were all Uruguayan and that's where my dad would take me to play. From there I would also play at other local clubs in Toronto. We played 11 a side, even in winter, when there was snow we played Indoor Soccer (Futsal).  At 16 I came to Uruguay, because I always wanted to play professionally in South America, above all in Argentina at River Plate, but I had a contact, Jorge Armua, who had contacts here in Uruguay, and because it was a great club like Nacional, I then wanted to come to Uruguay."

Fue medio difícil la adaptación. Vine con dieciséis años y fui a vivir a La Casona, donde había que compartir todo con otros chicos, como quince chicos, cuartos compartidos y todo, pero me adapté bien igual, porque ya conocía el idioma. Estuve hablando con muchos compañeros y me adapté bien. Me gustaba la cultura de acá, de la que ya tenía una idea porque yo crecí con gente latina. Ya conocía bien.

En el fútbol también me adapté porque desde los catorce años, en Toronto, había estado entrenando con Jorge Armúa, que ya había jugado en el fútbol uruguayo y él me entrenó como se entrena acá. Las tácticas, la técnica, los ejercicios eran todos más o menos similares, pero antes de estar con Armúa, allá las prácticas eran cualquier cosa. Los canadienses no saben mucho de fútbol. Juegan con mucho más físico que técnica. Clarkson era el club de Toronto donde entrenaba Armúa, donde también me entrenó un argentino llamado Juan Cruz que había jugado en Independiente."

" It was pretty tough to adapt. I was 16 and went to live at "La Casona" (The Big House), where I would share everything with all the guys, about 15 of us, shared rooms and everything, but I adapted pretty well, because I knew the language. I would speak with alot of friends and I adapted well. I liked the culture here, I had a good idea of what it was, I knew it well since I grew up with Latinos.

As for the Soccer, I also adapted because at age 14 in Toronto, I would train with Jorge Armua, who had played Uruguayan soccer, he would train me like they train here (Uruguay). The tactics, the technique, the exercises were all pretty similar. Before I trained with Jorge Armua, practices over there (Canada) were just treated as "whatever". Canadians do not know very much about Soccer. They play much more physically than technically. Clarkson was the club where Armua trained, where an Argentinian names Juan Cruz, who played with Independiente, trained me as well"

"...Me gusta vivir en Uruguay, que es un país chico, tranquilo, me gusta siempre ir en los días lindos de tarde a la rambla a tomar mate con mi mujer y mi hija. A mí me gusta la vida así, tranquila. En Canadá tenés mucha gente por todos lados, multicultural. Acá compartís todas las cosas con toda la gente. Acá es tranquilo."

"... I like living in Uruguay, a small country, peaceful. I always like to go on nice days in the afternoon to "la Rambla" for a few drinks with my woman and daughter. I like my life like that, peaceful. Canada has lots of people from different places, multicultural"

"..Primero jugué en la Sub-20 de Canadá. Debuté en la Sub-20 en el 2011 en el campeonato de CONCACAF en Guatemala. Después me citaron tres veces para la selección sub-23 por mi rendimiento en un tipo diferente de liga, que se valora mucho en el mundo, la liga de Uruguay por todos los jugadores que saca. Debuté en Canadá contra Trinidad, ganamos 2 a 0. Después en Octubre del 2012 fui citado para jugar contra Honduras, en Honduras, por la mayor. Yo estaba en casa a punto de dormirme. Era un viernes de noche. Jugaba con Juventud al día siguiente contra Fénix y me llamaron porque se había lesionado el 9 y necesitaban un sustituto. El partido era un martes. El sábado hice un gol, empatamos contra Fénix y fui al aeropuerto que casi llego tarde y viajé, pero no jugué de entrada. Me da vergüenza el resultado, fue de derrota 8 a 1. Yo entré a los 65 minutos y pude hacer algo, pude cambiar el partido un poquito. Así debuté en la mayor, en un partido oficial clasificatorio, pero ahora me arrepiento mucho porque la verdad, mi hija capaz que algún día me dice, “Papá ¿por qué nunca pudiste jugar en la Selección Uruguaya?”.

"... First I played on Canada's U-20. I debuted in the U20 in 2011, at the Concacaf championship in Guatemala. Then I was called 3 times for the U23, because of playing in a different league, which is valued alot around the world, the Uruguayan league because of the players it produces.

(speaking now about the CANMNT)

I was about to fall sleep , it was a Friday night, I was going to play with Juventud the next day against Feniz and I got the call, because their 9 was injured, and they needed a replacement. The game was on Tuesday. I scored a goal on Saturday and we tied Fenix, I rushed to the Airport, barely amking the trip. I did not start the game. I'm ashamed of the result, a defeat of 8-1. I came on at the 65 minute, and I was able to something, I was able to effect change, albeit small. That was how I debuted on the Senior team, at an official qualifying game. But now, I regret it alot, because truthfully, what if my daughter one day asks "Dad, why did you never play for Uruguay".

My take on it based on everything he says is that he is a very impressionable young man. Heck, he still lives at home, he knocked up his girlfriend, he over-hypes his time in Uruguay and even went to suggest he made a difference in the "game that shall go un-named." He is "boosting" alot and it was natural to knock down Canada to a sports reporter. He did everything in his power to prove his game is LATIN and not Canadian.

He will hit a rough spot in his career, he will try to come back, as Vitoria has. In my humble opinion, " I'd rather lose with Canucks, than win with those who aren't" Vitoria is dead to me, and so should every player who refuses to help us qualify. If they have no interest in playing for us at the Gold Cup, or WCQ, than they should NOT be welcome back. 

Screw this mentality of ... " but we need them, beggars can't be choosers," . As a Canadian who also grew up around Latinos, I can relate to the frustrations of the Canadian soccer system. There is sooooo much brutally wrong with youth soccer and development in this country. However, playing for the CANMNT is NOT about which system you grew up in, but the PRIDE and LOVE you have for your HOME, for your NATION, for your Maple Leaf. IMHO

Reme90: thanks for the translation.

More than one person has called Cavallini "impressionable" or immature. I think that hits the nail on the head.

Another thing that strikes me about the situation, given that he seems to be impressionable, is the role that this guy Jorge Armua seems to have played in fanning the flames of anti-Canada sentiment through his coaching. I think that's one thing we really need to focus on, and it's not a simple problem. There's a truth in this story which is that youth soccer in Canada in a general sense (at least at the time LC was starting to play does (or did) put more emphasis on the physical than the technical. I have a teammate on my over 40s team from Spain who coaches 13 year olds, and the smaller, smarter boys that he selects and trains routinely thump the larger more athletic kids on other teams, and that comes down to learning the technical game. On the other hand, I know that my friend would never equate those wins to an inherent inferiority of Canadian soccer. That's so irresponsible on so many levels. Now, maybe kids come to that conclusion on their own, but even then it would be a responsible coach that squashes that and says "hey, we win because you're learning the game properly. Not because you're Latino (or insert other ethnic group here)"

Personally, although I'm not holding out any more hope for LC to suit up for Canada, I'm also not thinking of him as the villain. He was a kid hearing for years at Club Uruguay in Toronto (?) how much Canada sucked or at least coming to that conclusion himself as a youngster and no influential adult telling him otherwise. Coaches like Armua are the ones we should be focussing on. We need to support coaches who have that technical focus but we can't allow those coaches to perpetuate an anti-Canada attitude either by action or omission. Do I know how to do that? Not a clue. Hoping somebody does.

Anyway, my two cents.

"But now, I regret it alot, because truthfully, what if my daughter one day asks "Dad, why did you never play for Uruguay".

I think this is pretty telling that he's not thinking beyond the immediate term.  Because, if your daughter asks one day why you didn't play for Uruguay, what would you rather say:

a -- Because I wasn't allowed to - I played for Canada at a young age and that made me ineligible; or

b -- Because I never got called up - I wasn't good enough.

So I wouldn't read too much into his answer.  Likely the 8-1 result was off-putting and the whole process of trucking it out to central America for games against minnows where he may not play and we might actually lose isn't worth his time at this point in his career.  There's not much of a safety net in leagues like Uruguay so it's pretty dicey if he starts losing minutes or contracts.  I doubt that it is more than that.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a few years.  Whether we'll want or need him then is something he likely hasn't considered.

Edited by Marc

Reme90: thanks for the translation.

More than one person has called Cavallini "impressionable" or immature. I think that hits the nail on the head.

Another thing that strikes me about the situation, given that he seems to be impressionable, is the role that this guy Jorge Armua seems to have played in fanning the flames of anti-Canada sentiment through his coaching. I think that's one thing we really need to focus on, and it's not a simple problem. There's a truth in this story which is that youth soccer in Canada in a general sense (at least at the time LC was starting to play does (or did) put more emphasis on the physical than the technical. I have a teammate on my over 40s team from Spain who coaches 13 year olds, and the smaller, smarter boys that he selects and trains routinely thump the larger more athletic kids on other teams, and that comes down to learning the technical game. On the other hand, I know that my friend would never equate those wins to an inherent inferiority of Canadian soccer. That's so irresponsible on so many levels. Now, maybe kids come to that conclusion on their own, but even then it would be a responsible coach that squashes that and says "hey, we win because you're learning the game properly. Not because you're Latino (or insert other ethnic group here)"

Personally, although I'm not holding out any more hope for LC to suit up for Canada, I'm also not thinking of him as the villain. He was a kid hearing for years at Club Uruguay in Toronto (?) how much Canada sucked or at least coming to that conclusion himself as a youngster and no influential adult telling him otherwise. Coaches like Armua are the ones we should be focussing on. We need to support coaches who have that technical focus but we can't allow those coaches to perpetuate an anti-Canada attitude either by action or omission. Do I know how to do that? Not a clue. Hoping somebody does.

Anyway, my two cents.

I think this is a really interesting comment.  I don't know much about this coach, but it seems like this could be a plausible theory.

It's a chicken and egg scenario: the MNT won't get respect until it gets some results, but it won't get results if players won't play for them.  

Jason