Fraser Aird

just going back to the question from before. For those who oppose Aird, who would you suggest plays that position?

It's not like Aird is the be all, end all, but when you look at our options of people playing first team football there really isn't alot of options. Ledgerwood?

38 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

just going back to the question from before. For those who oppose Aird, who would you suggest plays that position?

It's not like Aird is the be all, end all, but when you look at our options of people playing first team football there really isn't alot of options. Ledgerwood?

We don't have any other true options.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Yes. He is the safer option.

Aird is unsafe because he is learning the position, whereas Ledgerwood is unsafe because he lacks athleticism. IMO we have no "safer" option.

If Benito thought Ledgerwood wasn't a potential liability at RB he would have played him there against Mexico, but that clearly didn't happen.

Hopefully a full season at a reasonably high level will make Aird serviceable by September. In the meantime he needs to hold his starting spot, stay healthy, and get some time with Floro and the Nats in June. A number of things need to go right there, but Aird has demonstrated a lot of growth so far this season, so my money is on him being up for the challenge in September.

As for him being able handle the pressure, consider this, Aird does play in from of 20,000 fans each week, and he did play for Rangers. Regardless of division, they still draw big crowds each week and a lot of media attention. Yes, Ledgerwood is the more "veteran" player, but IMO it's not as though Aird's hasn't experienced high pressure games either.

4 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Aird is unsafe because he is learning the position, whereas Ledgerwood is unsafe because he lacks athleticism. IMO we have no "safer" option.

The one thing Ledgerwood has is athleticism.  The main knock on him is the perception that he lacks skill, particularly the type of dribbling/crossing skills that Aird possesses.  At this moment, Ledgerwood is the better defender and Aird is the better attacker.   It all depends on what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Ledgerwood is kind of underrated on this board.

Not true. I think I am one of the few who believes you guys overrate him as a rightback.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

The one thing Ledgerwood has is athleticism.  The main knock on him is the perception that he lacks skill, particularly the type of dribbling/crossing skills that Aird possesses.  At this moment, Ledgerwood is the better defender and Aird is the better attacker.   It all depends on what you are looking for.

Sorry, maybe I should have said "pace" as opposed to "athleticism".

I thought it was a curious decision for Floro to play Henry at RB against Mexico, especially in the 2nd game, after he was clearly exploited in the first game. When Benito was asked why he played Henry, even after having a poor game in Vancouver, Floro's response was essentially, "well, who else was I going to play there?"

Most of Ledgerwood's caps are at RB - even though it's not his typical position at club level -, so it's not as though he's an unknown commodity at RB. 

When Floro elected not to start Ledgerwood at RB against Mexico (especially the 2nd game), my interpretation was that he must believe that Ledgerwood simply isn't going to keep up with the top wingers in CONCACAF. I figured, surely that must have been the critical attribute that Henry (in Floro's mind) had over Ledgerwood.

If Aird progresses defensively, he certainly will also have a significant pace advantage over Ledgerwood, but that being said, I'm honestly not up on Honduras enough to know if Floro would have this same concern (i.e. extremely fast wingers) against Honduras.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Half the people on this board crap on Ledgerwood.

I'm not crapping on Ledgerwood. I think he hardly ever sets a foot wrong defensively, and puts in a solid shift every time. I think he makes a solid squad player, but I think it speaks to a significant lack of depth (especially at RB), when he very well could be our best option when the chips are down and WCQ is on the line.

Essentially, I like the guy, but at the same time think that he's exactly the kind of lower div journeyman player that I'm really hoping our national team grows out of having to start in meaningful games.

22 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

When Floro elected not to start Ledgerwood at RB against Mexico (especially the 2nd game), my interpretation was that he must believe that Ledgerwood simply isn't going to keep up with the top wingers in CONCACAF. I figured, surely that must have been the critical attribute that Henry (in Floro's mind) had over Ledgerwood.

In the return fixture in Mexico City Ledgerwood was brought into the right flank mid situation to provided defensive support for Henry as well as to counteract the attacking support threat of Mexican LB Layun, who was excellent in the previous match,  and he did well in that regard.  But I cringe to think at how things would turn out if he had to do more isolated 1 v 1 defending as an RB.  

• 2 months later...

"He’s only been training two or three weeks, to be fair, since his injury and since the personal issues that he had."

- Carl Robinson, commenting on Aird, post match after tonights game. 

Anyone have any insight into what the "personal issues" were?

http://aftn.ca/report-and-reaction-vancouver-whitecaps-san-jose-earthquakes-mls/

Edited by A_Gagne

39 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

"He’s only been training two or three weeks, to be fair, since his injury and since the personal issues that he had."

- Carl Robinson, commenting on Aird, post match after tonights game. 

Anyone have any insight into what the "personal issues" were?

http://aftn.ca/report-and-reaction-vancouver-whitecaps-san-jose-earthquakes-mls/

I may have misheard but I thought I heard a radio commentator mention a death in the family.

The Caps need to put him at RB and leave him there for the rest of the season. He has great energy and toughness, and brings a real spark to the team.

Floro chose Henry as our RB in 2014, replacing Ledgerwood starting with the Colombia friendly.  Henry's injuries have not helped his progress, but as soon as he came back, he was in the 11. He is clearly Floros guy at RB, for better or worse.

Aird will be a huge part of the CMNT, but not until the next cycle.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Got some good playing time in MLS but never really made the RB spot his own. Wishing him the best at Rangers. I think he's in a better position to get minutes at Rangers now than he was before.

Never settled into the RB position and it looks like that's not a good fit for him. Clearly better as a right mid and ideally as a RB/RM in a 3-5-2. Remains to be seen what position he will end up in.

Was one of the few bright spots for the Whitecaps last season despite the defensive struggles (which were over-stated).

• 2 weeks later...