Fraser Aird

Glad he had a good game and that he chose us, but no shit he's good with his choice now.  He hedged his bets and didn't go all in until it was clear he wasn't going to play for Scotland.

And I don't blame him.  I totally get that a big chunk of our guys would jump at the chance to play for a decent European / South American side.  But it would be nice to see a bit more honesty sometimes - but maybe that's not fair to the players who were born here but developed overseas.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Glad he had a good game and that he chose us, but no shit he's good with his choice now.  He hedged his bets and didn't go all in until it was clear he wasn't going to play for Scotland.

And I don't blame him.  I totally get that a big chunk of our guys would jump at the chance to play for a decent European / South American side.  But it would be nice to see a bit more honesty sometimes - but maybe that's not fair to the players who were born here but developed overseas.

He committed to Canada when he was 20. It was far from clear he wasn't going to play for Scotland. He wasn't going to play for Scotland at age 20 unlike Canada but at age 22 he played against Scotland and was the best man on the pitch. A lot of players don't make their international debuts until mid 20s or later so those waiting to see if they have a chance with the prettiest girl usually wait longer than being 20. It is entirely possible that if Scotland had also offered him a senior call up at age 20 he might have chosen them over us though we do not know but if his dream was to play for Scotland it was far from over or unrealistic when he chose us.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He should stick with RM as his postition

Definitely. At RB he was weak defending but as a RM he is very solid at tracking back and helping out defensively. Go figure. I love his ability to shoot hard shots with either foot. As a RM cutting into the middle that left foot is essential and he has it.

Aird has always had good offensive instincts. Early in his career when Rangers were playing in the Nth tier I believe he was even a CAM. Yes, he can play RB because he is a good footballer, but as others have mentioned defending isn't exactly his specialty. Aird is more comfortable going forward, and I think it is obvious after the display against Scotland he should be playing further up the pitch.

Plus, he's got a nice shot on him too! Hard to belt too many on goal from RB.

19 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Aird has always had good offensive instincts. Early in his career when Rangers were playing in the Nth tier I believe he was even a CAM. Yes, he can play RB because he is a good footballer, but as others have mentioned defending isn't exactly his specialty. Aird is more comfortable going forward, and I think it is obvious after the display against Scotland he should be playing further up the pitch.

Plus, he's got a nice shot on him too! Hard to belt too many on goal from RB.

I believe he played as a forward with the BU14 Ontario Provincial team.

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/winger-fraser-aird-enjoying-his-game-time-at-falkirk-1-4406981

Fraser enjoying his playing time for Falkirk, but he's out of contract at the end of the season:

“I’m happy to be playing each week – that’s why I left Rangers and I just need regular games, for myself and for my national game and for people just to be able to see me, I’m doing that and hopefully I can keep performing the way I have been the past few weeks. “I have a big summer coming up with my national team and obviously I’m out of contract so we’ll see what happens.”

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/winger-fraser-aird-enjoying-his-game-time-at-falkirk-1-4406981

Fraser enjoying his playing time for Falkirk, but he's out of contract at the end of the season:

“I’m happy to be playing each week – that’s why I left Rangers and I just need regular games, for myself and for my national game and for people just to be able to see me, I’m doing that and hopefully I can keep performing the way I have been the past few weeks. “I have a big summer coming up with my national team and obviously I’m out of contract so we’ll see what happens.”

First Arfield and now Aird. Nice to see so many dudes stoked about the Gold Cup.

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Hope he moves up a level 

Same even if it means leaving Scotland. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to MLS

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

In what shouldn't be surprising news, a player transferring to a club where he can get minutes is a key to them improving, and showing well for the national team. I wish more of our young players (*ahemPetrassoahem*) would consider the same option.

A club like Falkirk would be perfect for a player like Petrasso. He did well in English League one and two and those levels are probably comparable to the Scottish Championship.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A club like Falkirk would be perfect for a player like Petrasso. He did well in English League one and two and those levels are probably comparable to the Scottish Championship.

Imagine if Petrasso had spent his time at QPR with a League One club instead. The guy was a regular starter in that league at 18. He'd have 4 full years of pro, hundreds of games at that level under his belt at age 22, instead of 242 minutes in the Championship, and a few dozen games in League One. As of today he's years behind where he could have been. 

I'm glad players like Aird, Gasparotto and Piette are making their transfers with an eye on playing time. Sure they aren't playing at glamourous levels right now, but they've gotten more experience year over year in better leagues than the years prior. Now we need players like Petrasso, Henry, Bustos, Jackson-Hamel, Teibert and maybe even Chapman and Hamilton to consider the same.

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

He never played in league two, his loans where in league one

Right you are. I thought the first was in league two but I was mistaken. I think he went on 4 loans though. Oldham, Leyont Orient, Coventry City and Notts County.

21 hours ago, shermanator said:

Injuries are a factor, absolutely. But he rarely sees the pitch when healthy either. It's time for him to make a move to a club where he can get minutes.

Considering the level of play roughly equals League One, why not try the Scottish Premiership? 

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Considering the level of play roughly equals League One, why not try the Scottish Premiership? 

Sure! Or perhaps he could join up with Aird and Gasparotto at Falkirk? Anywhere that starts gives him more regular minutes is a must in my books. Now watch, he will regularly get minutes at QPR after his season debut yesterday.

It's the Daily Mail so take it with a handful of salt, but Blackburn and Wigan are looking to sign Aird. Also mentioned are Cardiff, Plymouth Argyle and Fleetwood Town. I don't know if he'd see much action in the Championship, but League One could be a decent landing spot for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4393018/Blackburn-Wigan-keen-sign-wing-Fraser-Aird.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

It's the Daily Mail so take it with a handful of salt, but Blackburn and Wigan are looking to sign Aird. Also mentioned are Cardiff, Plymouth Argyle and Fleetwood Town. I don't know if he'd see much action in the Championship, but League One could be a decent landing spot for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4393018/Blackburn-Wigan-keen-sign-wing-Fraser-Aird.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wigan and Blackburn look like they will both be relegated to League One - perfect  landing spot for Aird. A step up from where he's playing now but not a drastic one.