Fraser Aird

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

My guess is we won't get him because let's face it... our MNT gets walked all over by MLS clubs.

In this case, the CSA has also walked all over itself by scheduling Voyageurs Cup matches during the June camp.

Edited by RS

7 minutes ago, RS said:

In this case, the CSA has also walked all over itself by scheduling Voyageurs Cup matches during the June camp.

As you know there isn't much of a window when they can squeeze these V's Cup fixtures in!

1 minute ago, gator said:

As you know there isn't much of a window when they can squeeze these V's Cup fixtures in!

The USSF manages to get it done every year with many more teams.

4 hours ago, gator said:

I hope he continues to improve quickly and can become a mainstay at RB for our National team, it's surely a position of weakness for us!

Maybe in the short term, but long term i want to see this guys skills utilized properly.

Because the Honduran attack is very quick is the exact reason why I think Aird should be playing. He is the best RB we have, by a large margin in my opinion. But I agree one step at a time, let's see if and how he plays with the team in the upcoming games.

Edited by Ruffian

41 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

He is the best RB we have, by a large margin

He is the fastest RB we have (perhaps by a large margin), but is he "the best"? - his positioning and instincts aren't always correct because he is new to the role. This has let to some serious lapses on his part with the Whitecaps.

And the only thing Floro cares about more than positioning is "a good pressing"  and "improving our level" so we'll see what he thinks. I do really want him to start against Azerbaijan, even if it means I won't see him in V Cup games if(when!?!) the Fury host the Whitecaps.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

57 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I wouldn't be against Aird at RB against El Salvador at home for his offensive capabilities, but no way is he defensively capable of handling Mario Martinez or Boniek Garcia for 90 minutes.

Why not? He takes on players of similar quality week in week out. That's more than you could say for any of our other options.

14 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Why not? He takes on players of similar quality week in week out. That's more than you could say for any of our other options.

Exactly.  Guess it's the Canadian inferiority complex where our players regress on national team duty and Hondurans turn into Di Maria on the wing.  

As long as he can stay consistent for the next few months I see no reason why he wouldn't be in the squad.

Edited by Keegan

I don't doubt that there are still many questions with Aird, but who else could play there that does not have questions? Ledgerwood? He is not really impressing with FC Edmonton (still early I know). Henry? We know he has as many questions as Aird and is not a RB. Maybe give Ricketts a shot there.

I assume we will see Ledgerwood as Floro likes the vets.

I guess it is only Canadian who choke. All other successful national teams are willing to play their young players. On top of that Aird has 72 professional games under his belt between Rangers and Whitecaps. Not exactly a complete newby.

I've seen about a third of the VWC games, and the only time Aird looked bad was against Montreal in his first MLS game at RB. He was also against Piatti, a guy who has been successful in the Argentine league and Serie A, and is probably the best wide player in the MLS. I don't think Honduras has anyone of the kind of quality that makes me doubt Aird off the bat. 

Who else? Henry has been poor, Ledgerwood is slow, Ouimiette has shown poorly in the MLS

Edited by Complete Homer

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I've seen about a third of the VWC games, and the only time Aird looked bad was against Montreal in his first MLS game at RB. He was also against Piatti, a guy who has been successful in the Argentine league and Serie A, and is probably the best wide player in the MLS. I don't think Honduras has anyone of the kind of quality that makes me doubt Aird off the bat. 

Who else? Henry has been poor, Ledgerwood is slow, Ouimiette has shown poorly in the MLS

I trust Ouimette at RB. He's been poor at CB for NY but at RB he has not had a bad game for Canada. He was great against Costa Rica at the GC.

I would be happy to see Aird start but I will be shocked if Floro goes with anyone other than ledgerwood.

Henry is a possibility too as much as I hope not. 

Oiumette has had some solid performances but he was very poor in his last start at El Salvador IMO.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Aird is still too shaky defensively for Floro to risk it. It will be Henry or Ledgerwood with Aird as a viable 3rd option. 

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Piatti wasn't succesful in Serie A.