Fraser Aird

Speaking of surprises, Aird has not made the bench even once since his return. I know Rangers are in good form and are 2nd behind Celtic, but I would have thought he'd at least make the 18 once. He's been back for only 2 weeks so perhaps we just have to be patient. Either that or expect a loan to a team like Patrick Thistle. That might be what's best for him to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Speaking of surprises, Aird has not made the bench even once since his return. I know Rangers are in good form and are 2nd behind Celtic, but I would have thought he'd at least make the 18 once. He's been back for only 2 weeks so perhaps we just have to be patient. Either that or expect a loan to a team like Patrick Thistle. That might be what's best for him to be honest.

I don't think that it's a surprise. The team is better than last year and Aird played 3 games last season. I think a surprise would have been if he had made the 18 once.

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think that it's a surprise. The team is better than last year and Aird played 3 games last season. I think a surprise would have been if he had made the 18 once.

For sure Rangers is much improved, but so is Aird after going through a full MLS season. Clearly I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to our players :)

If Aird couldn't make it in the team last year, he certainly isn't going to this year.  At his age, his career at Rangers is effectively done. The question is does he stay north of the border and eek out a middling career at one of the midtable clubs or does he head south in the hope for more opportunity?

58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Speaking of surprises, Aird has not made the bench even once since his return.

I'm not 100% certain on his but I thought I read somewhere that his Vancouver loan doesn't officially end until January 1st, so he may not be available for game selection until then (limited to practice only).

Edited by David C.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, matty said:

Seriously? Guy plays in a league stronger than spl for  year and they want to loan him to a league below spl. What the fuck?

I doubt he knocks Tavernier out of his spot. Falkirk may not even be able to afford his wages. 

9 minutes ago, jordan said:

I doubt he knocks Tavernier out of his spot. Falkirk may not even be able to afford his wages. 

Oh i didn't expect him to take anyone's spot and saw a loan coming but going down a level instead of being loaned to another spl club or to a strong league is fucking wack

28 minutes ago, matty said:

Seriously? Guy plays in a league stronger than spl for  year and they want to loan him to a league below spl. What the fuck?

I think you're giving MLS and Whitecaps too much credit here. I don't think that MLS is a better league than SPFL, particularly amongst Celtic and Rangers. Maybe its comparable for the other 10 clubs, but not for the big two. And let's remember, Aird was basically out of the 18 with Whitecaps from September until they were eliminated. 

It's better to loan Aird out somewhere that he will actually play, than rot on the bench at Ibrox. Personally, I don't see him ever slipping on a Rangers shirt again. He's been on the outs since they moved up to the Championship. 

11 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I think you're giving MLS and Whitecaps too much credit here. I don't think that MLS is a better league than SPFL, particularly amongst Celtic and Rangers. Maybe its comparable for the other 10 clubs, but not for the big two. And let's remember, Aird was basically out of the 18 with Whitecaps from September until they were eliminated. 

It's better to loan Aird out somewhere that he will actually play, than rot on the bench at Ibrox. Personally, I don't see him ever slipping on a Rangers shirt again. He's been on the outs since they moved up to the Championship. 

I was comparing mls and the caps to spl outside of the old firm. Mls is a stronger league than spl overall and despite being out of the caps gameday 18 he would likely get minutes at most spl clubs

Considering Rangers already have an on-going relationship loaning players to that club, perhaps it just makes sense for them from a logistics point of view. If Aird is as good as we think he is, he'll contribute right away and become a starter, which I agree will be better than not dressing at Rangers. Yes he can probably hack it at any club outside the old firm, but you want him in the right situation, not in and out of the 18 like he'd be at dundee or hearts or somewhere like that.

I know it's hard to compare leagues especially MLS with any league in Europe because the teams don't play each other, I will express this though: I watched Hearts vs Rangers just before the 2nd leg of the TFC vs Impact, the difference was astonishing! Both SPL teams were so much more organized in the back 4, I would say there was no chance either of those teams could concede 5 goals to TFC even in 2 hours of football, once you get beyond the DP's these MLS sides can be very poor, I think the SPL teams, even the smaller ones are more balanced!! Just my opinion having watched lots of both!

1 hour ago, jordan said:

57 minutes ago, matty said:

they want to loan him to a league below spl

It's a shame; I guess Partick Thistle aren't interested? If he averages 75 minutes of playing time per game at Falkirk I won't be upset.

37 minutes ago, gator said:

I know it's hard to compare leagues especially MLS with any league in Europe because the teams don't play each other, I will express this though: I watched Hearts vs Rangers just before the 2nd leg of the TFC vs Impact, the difference was astonishing! Both SPL teams were so much more organized in the back 4, I would say there was no chance either of those teams could concede 5 goals to TFC even in 2 hours of football, once you get beyond the DP's these MLS sides can be very poor, I think the SPL teams, even the smaller ones are more balanced!! Just my opinion having watched lots of both!

It's still a weaker league when it comes to level of play over all

1 hour ago, matty said:

On the topic of Rangers......they aren't the Rangers of old. They're good but they're very mortal in the SPL. Also SPL is a lower level of play than MLS and anyone who thinks SPL is equal or better than MLS is basically agreeing with @Mister215Guy that MLS is as weak or weaker than League 1

Mister whatshisface says that MLS is something like the 7th or 8th tier in England, not League One. Personally I don't think it's very clear cut either way regarding non-old firm SPL vs MLS.

Just now, Kent said:

Mister whatshisface says that MLS is something like the 7th or 8th tier in England, not League One. Personally I don't think it's very clear cut either way regarding non-old firm SPL vs MLS.

LOL He's back on my good side now by relegating MLS 4-5 levels in a week. I HIGHLY disagree on the clean cut element but won't agrue it anymore because it's just gonna turn this thread into a nightmare mess (I already mentioned MisterIHateAmerica so he's gonna ruin this).

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Will be in the CPL when it starts imo.

A 21 year old who has played 109 games as a pro, is internationally capped and teams are interested in him. Not to mention still having a contract till June of next year? That is the type of player you see in CPL when it starts?