Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

Henry has been playing pretty regularly in MLS - can understand the call.

Osorio has had some good showings in the time he has been given, he's usually first off the bench. With a pool as small as ours and with it being a home friendly we have to give him a look.

Morgan has been out of form without a doubt but he really is as blue chip as it gets in the Canada program moving forward, I can't think of any other left back options around his age (besides Tissot) so it looks like it will be him and De Jong for the next while as our two main options. Calling him is justifiable but he doesn't deserve to see the pitch.

Bekker is rated pretty highly by Miller. While he was harsh on some players in his last camp I remember he had praise for Bekker calling him "quality" IIRC. Probably shouldn't be there but as others said beggars can't be choosers.

Why not call Martin John or Alberto Giulatto?

Both are playing regularly at left back in the Spanish and Italian 3rd divisions respectively. Giulatto has Serie A experience, why not call him? Doubt he'd turn it down.

I don't really have a problem with any of the 4 being called given how limited the players available for selection will be and that probably neither Teibert nor the Impact Canadians will be available. I do think Osorio is deserving of a call up though if a full squad were available he is probably the only one deserving. I don't understand Nelson's surprise that he hasn't been called up previously though. Henry/Morgan seem to really be regressing and don't look very impressive at all this year. Bekker is disappointing but probably should be called based on potential and playing style. I also think Hamilton is as deserving of a call as Henry but with our poor choice for interim manager that is not going to happen.

John has not played much this year at least according to the stats I could find but Giulatto is playing fairly regularly in the Italian 3rd division and last year had 10 appearances in Serie B and the previous year 12 appearances in Serie A. Why was he not called years ago?

Why not cap-tie players who have potential? I don't see the negative. Does not mean they get a call every time or even ever again, but deepening the pool of players never hurts. Especially, on what I believe is a non-FIFA date.

My son is eligible for Canada, Northern Ireland, Australia, United States and New Zealand. We should get in early and cap-tie him. He's five, by the way.

Actually, I agree. The Aussies are great at this, and it has saved them more than a few players over the years. Remember though, the friendly does not cap-tie.

Why not cap-tie players who have potential? I don't see the negative. Does not mean they get a call every time or even ever again, but deepening the pool of players never hurts. Especially, on what I believe is a non-FIFA date.

Except that this match doesn't tie anyone to anything ...

You have cap-tie and non-FIFA date in the same post.

Of course it's non-binding, but if you are capped a couple of times, FIFA won't let you change nationalities quite easily. Although legally it is still possible after that. But I agree, cap as many young players as possible, and I would like to go even further. I would like to see the Headcoach (Ha!) or else the CSA actively pursue players from other countries that are elligable, or will be elligable in the near future. I mean, other nations do it and Canada sure as hell has opportunities for it.

For starters I would like to see people like Gershon Koffie get a call next year, or even this year to inform if he's interested at all. Same goes for people like Camilo or Impacts Felipe Martins. They are promising (well, one more than the other), and have but a small chance to get called up by their nations. Cap'm and keep'm! Whitecaps are signing all that Ghanaian talent, why not use that to broaden the nation's player pool?

For starters I would like to see people like Gershon Koffie get a call next year, or even this year to inform if he's interested at all. Same goes for people like Camilo or Impacts Felipe Martins. They are promising (well, one more than the other), and have but a small chance to get called up by their nations. Cap'm and keep'm! Whitecaps are signing all that Ghanaian talent, why not use that to broaden the nation's player pool?

None of those players are eligible to play for Canada (not even in a friendly).

Jeeez, I know that. Not now anyway. But the effort should be made to interest some of these kids that WILL be elligable in the very near future. Koffie has been in Canada for four years, that means he can become Canadian if he wants to. En secondly according to FIFA ruling one has to live in a new country for at least 5 years, before you can switch (soccer-) nationalities. That would be 2014 just to spell that out for you.

None of those players are eligible to play for Canada (not even in a friendly).

Plus, honestly, (and again, yes, guys like Johnson included), I think it defeats the spirit of international football. I would rather have Canadians playing for Canada.

Plus, honestly, (and again, yes, guys like Johnson included), I think it defeats the spirit of international football. I would rather have Canadians playing for Canada.

Uh... this is Canada. If you've been here long enough to get citezenship, you're Canadian. And I don't mind taking players who have little chance of playing for their 'old country' team. Or might play a smaller role there. It's the opportunists I despise, like Vitoria, and De Guzman. Ask Giggs if he'd play for England just to have the chance to play at the WC.. I'm sure we can all imagine what his response would be, and he's the most decorated player in the EPL.

I totally agree with your point, but I don't know if it is fair to label Vitoria an opportunist. Deguzman? Absolutely. Vitoria on the other hand is ethnically Portuguese and I have little issue with player who have legitimate international choices. Of course it is easy to imagine these type of guys choosing the stronger option, but for all I know he identifies more with Portugal than Canada.

I totally agree with your point, but I don't know if it is fair to label Vitoria an opportunist. Deguzman? Absolutely. Vitoria on the other hand is ethnically Portuguese and I have little issue with player who have legitimate international choices. Of course it is easy to imagine these type of guys choosing the stronger option, but for all I know he identifies more with Portugal than Canada.

How is someone who actually lived in a country for 33% of his life more opportunistic than someone who chooses to represent a country he had never lived in? (don't get me wrong I'm not saying JDG2's decision wasn't wrong, just Vittoria is worse).

Edited by maccaliam
Decided I needed to tone my post down a wee bit.

How is someone who actually lived in a country for 33% of his life more opportunistic than someone who chooses to represent a country he had never lived in? (don't get me wrong I'm not saying JDG2's decision wasn't wrong, just Vittoria is worse).

To me, JDG2 is more of an opportunist because he plays for the Dutch and frankly he is not Dutch. Yes he has his papers but he is not ethnically Dutch, so that to me is a bit of a joke. On the other hand, Vittoria is ethnically Portuguese, and to me that is more valid than migrating to a country (for purely soccer reasons at that) and receiving your citizenship.

To me, JDG2 is more of an opportunist because he plays for the Dutch and frankly he is not Dutch. Yes he has his papers but he is not ethnically Dutch, so that to me is a bit of a joke. On the other hand, Vittoria is ethnically Portuguese, and to me that is more valid than migrating to a country (for purely soccer reasons at that) and receiving your citizenship.

Agreed. Plus Vittoria never hinted at playing for Canada as far as I know. Traitor perhaps, but not mercenary like JDG2.

EDIT: Perhaps we should get back to talking about Osorio.

Agreed. Plus Vittoria never hinted at playing for Canada as far as I know. Traitor perhaps, but not mercenary like JDG2.

Yes he did hint at playing for Canada, multiple times. Whatever it doesn't matter, traitors don't change their stripes we should put that in the V handbook.

Rather than rehash why Vittoria is a degenerate, let's just say we are splitting hairs and both are complete scummers.

Noticed he played 2nd half of the NE game yesterday. Watched bits and pieces and he did alright. Looked like he played a lot on the left wing. What do we think his best position is? Does anyone think he has the tools to be a number 10? Or is a number 6 or 8 more suited for his skill set?

Noticed he played 2nd half of the NE game yesterday. Watched bits and pieces and he did alright. Looked like he played a lot on the left wing. What do we think his best position is? Does anyone think he has the tools to be a number 10? Or is a number 6 or 8 more suited for his skill set?

He mentioned in a post match interview that he has played on the wing in youth teams, he did well there last night but I think I prefer him more central behind the striker(s)!Osorio is forcing his way in to the lineup getting more and more playing time and from what I have seen so far he has a huge upside, I think he could have a very bright future ahead!

From what I've seen of him so far, I do think he is best in a #6 or #8 role, though I prefer the idea of him being played as a #8 with TFC. Still early days though, so it's tough to say how he'll develop.

• 2 years later...

Was one of the v's crying for his inclusion but felt pretty neutral about his performance vs CR. Really unimpressed with the way he went off the pitch, though, despite the shock he shared with most of us regarding the tactics/reasoning of the substitution. Contrast that with Teibert who clearly bit his lip and then played like a warrior when subbed in.

Would not be surprised if we don't see Oso again under Floro, as any decent manager would be looking for an apology and Osorio's fiery character and peer group leads me to believe he will step away for at least the next year or two.

These guys arent robots. They play with passion. Things are said things are done.

We cant banish every player for years every time they step out of line. Let alone a young up and coming MLS starter.

Players in the top leagues of the world are frusterated when subbed off. It shows their passion and dedication. We rip on guys not dedicated to canada. Then when a guy is over passionate we question that too.

Edited by king1010