Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

Honestly. These guys arent robots. They play with passion. Things are said things are done.

We cant banish every player for years every time they step out of line. Let alone a young up and coming MLS starter.

Players in the top leagues of the world are frusterated when subbed off. It shows their passion and dedication. We rip on guys not dedicated to canada. Then when a guy is over passionate we question that too.

+ Agree 100%

Osorio is the future, lets not get carried away.

In an interview on MLS website Oso looked absolutely devastated looked like he even had tears in his eyes. I like to have players who care that much and I understand the frustration with the sub I think he just wanted to make a difference.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/15/kick-canada-crash-out-beasley-and-gordon-called-real-salt-lake-move

Relevant part at 1:50

Was one of the v's crying for his inclusion but felt pretty neutral about his performance vs CR. Really unimpressed with the way he went off the pitch, though, despite the shock he shared with most of us regarding the tactics/reasoning of the substitution. Contrast that with Teibert who clearly bit his lip and then played like a warrior when subbed in.

Would not be surprised if we don't see Oso again under Floro, as any decent manager would be looking for an apology and Osorio's fiery character and peer group leads me to believe he will step away for at least the next year or two.

He was poor by the standard he has set for himself at TFC but I'd be absolutely shocked if he were left out of any qualifier going forwards.

Osorio was saying the right things the day after. But I agree the manner of his exit was childish, and he should not have been surprised to come off as he had given a relatively anonymous performance to that point.

Yes, both his tweets and the post game interview lead one to believe his behavior when being subbed was due to the heat of the moment.  It would hopefully also lead one to believe that he has already had a sit down with Floro to clear the air.

(Tried to include his positive tweets but can't figure it out)

Edited by RamR

• 7 months later...

Kurt Larson did an interview with Osorio which touched on his status with the national team. Contrary to popular belief, there doesn't appear to be any beef between the two, at least based on this interview. Rather when Floro indicated that Atiba and Will are his go-to players in central mid, he (surprise) was telling the truth.

It hasn’t all been smooth sailing for a player who appears to thrive off adversity. Osorio has been excluded from the Canadian national team setup ever since last summer’s Gold Cup.

He’s missed out on massive fixtures against Honduras and it’s unclear if he’ll be included for an upcoming qualifier against Mexico in Vancouver next month.

“I have an idea of what’s going on,” Osorio said. “I’ve spoken to (head coach) Benito Floro recently. We’re on the same page, but there’s a couple of things I need to improve.

“He thinks I need to improve that within my club before I’m ready to go to the international stage and the World Cup qualifiers.

“That’s all it really is. With Atiba (Hutchinson) and Julian (de Guzman) and Will (Johnson) in the middle, he really likes that experience in that position.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/22/tfcs-rising-star-osorio-not-so-anonymous-anymore

11 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Kurt Larson did an interview with Osorio which touched on his status with the national team. Contrary to popular belief, there doesn't appear to be any beef between the two, at least based on this interview. Rather when Floro indicated that Atiba and Will are his go-to players in central mid, he (surprise) was telling the truth.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/22/tfcs-rising-star-osorio-not-so-anonymous-anymore

Well i guess Floro is just an idiot for not including Osorio on the Canada B team then.

• 2 months later...

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Floro rates others (many others it seems) ahead of Osorio. This shouldn't be surprising news to anyone. 

Sometimes a coach simply doesn't rate a player. The same thing is going on with Trafford and Aleman at their clubs. The same thing happened with Bernier and Klopas. The same thing is going on with Feilhaber and Klismann. Etc.

I can understand the fact that Floro doesn't rate Osorio for his top 20 players for a WCQ.

What I don't get is Osorio not being called for the camp we had in January prior to the USA friendly. That was the occasion to give him a chance to maybe improve his position  among the midfielders and he wasn't invited. He's a starter in MLS which should be enough to deserve a call for a january friendly when some of our top guys aren't available.

BTW, from what I've seen, he's doing well this season with TFC.

Edited by aloyol

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

I can understand the fact that Floro doesn't rate Osorio for his top 20 players for a WCQ.

What I don't get is Osorio not being called for the camp we had in January prior to the USA friendly. That was the occasion to give him a chance to maybe improve his position  among the midfielders and he wasn't invited. He's a starter in MLS which should be enough to deserve a call for a january friendly when some of our top guys aren't available.

BTW, from what I've seen, he's doing well this season with TFC.

Why would Osorio be called for the January camp? Floro has seen him in numerous camps and already doesn't rate him. What is one more camp going to show him that he hasn't seen already? Floro doesn't rate Osorio. Period. End of story.

And before someone brings up the tired argument of "BUT HE CALLED KYLE BEKKER WTF", I would argue that Bekker has shown better form in MLS since moving to the Impact and featuring in a primarily DM role than Osorio has shown in that time frame as a winger / CM. That's not to say Osorio has struggled, but rather that Bekker has excelled.

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess he must either have a standout MLS season or transfer abroad (and do well). 

I think that the more realistic scenario is that for Osorio to feature, Floro has to be gone from the national team. And he will in September when we do not qualify for the hex. Osorio had a very good season in MLS last year, and he's still not in camps. I don't see him leaving TFC soon either, he's their poster boy for the "local boy" angle.

Edited by shermanator

Hmm, i guess Floro is into TWINKS not bears?  

All kidding aside, I saw Duzzie at tim hortons the other day and we talked about a Osorio/Tiebert straight up trade.  Maybe freshen up the club situation for both of them.  

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Why would Osorio be called for the January camp? Floro has seen him in numerous camps and already doesn't rate him. What is one more camp going to show him that he hasn't seen already? Floro doesn't rate Osorio. Period. End of story.

And before someone brings up the tired argument of "BUT HE CALLED KYLE BEKKER WTF", I would argue that Bekker has shown better form in MLS since moving to the Impact and featuring in a primarily DM role than Osorio has shown in that time frame as a winger / CM. That's not to say Osorio has struggled, but rather that Bekker has excelled.

I think that the more realistic scenario is that for Osorio to feature, Floro has to be gone from the national team. And he will in September when we do not qualify for the hex. Osorio had a very good season in MLS last year, and he's still not in camps. I don't see him leaving TFC soon either, he's their poster boy for the "local boy" angle.

What I was trying to say is that it's understandable for Floro not to rate Osorio among his top 20 players but it's not really normal for him to be totally out of our top 35.

IMO, a "B" camp is an opportunity for new players or for players who have been pushed away from our top 20 to make a point for themselves. So, Osorio going from good enough for the GC to being totally ignored is curious if we're only speaking of rating a player, specially a young player.

He's still young and he is in a pretty good club situation (starter in the MLS) so it's a little bit curious to completely ignore him and excluded him from the program at that stage.

BTW, I'm not in the "he called Bekker camp". I actually can understand why Kyle is being called over Osorio. No problem with me.

Edited by aloyol

18 minutes ago, aloyol said:

What I was trying to say is that it's understandable for Floro not to rate Osorio among his top 20 players but it's not really normal for him to be totally out of our top 35.

IMO, a "B" camp is an opportunity for new players or for players who have been pushed away from our top 20 to make a point for themselves. So, Osorio going from good enough for the GC to being totally ignored is curious if we're only speaking of rating a player, specially a young player.

He's still young and he is in a pretty good club situation (starter in the MLS) so it's a little bit curious to completely ignore him and excluded him from the program at that stage.

BTW, I'm not in the "he called Bekker camp". I actually can understand why Kyle is being called over Osorio. No problem with me.

Totally agree. Just because he did not perform in the few camps we was called in does not mean he should be shunned altogether. Ffs Larin hasn't been performing well for Canada but he still gets called up (I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be on the squad i am just saying if Larin can get called up after medioce performances, Oso should atleast get a call to the January squad.

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

Fair enough on the Bekker point, I just wanted to bring up my rebuttal since his name always comes up when discussing Osorio.

I guess we disagree on the purpose of these camps. My view is these "camp poutines" will have 4 types of players, none of which Osorio really falls in to:

1. The senior team veterans who are able to attend. From the US camp this would be Akindele, Bekker, de Guzman, de Jong, Henry, Hume, Johnson, Larin, Ledgerwood, Nakajima-Farran, Ouimette and Straith.

2. The senior team players who have only been to one or two camps, and were not seen in the youth ranks. From the US camp this would be Lefevre and Roberts

3. Players who are being moved up from the youth ranks into the senior team. From the US camp this would be Adekugbe, Bustos, Clarke, Crepeau, Irving and Froese

4. Players brand new to the program. From the US camp this would be Dixon, Farago and Vitoria

I guess one could argue that Osorio fits into the second group given his status the last year. For me, I think that he's been in 7 camps under Floro, and that's still not been enough to impress him. The hissy fit at the Gold Cup was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I want to see Osorio at these camps myself, but I think he won't be at any more until Floro is gone. It just shouldn't be surprising that he won't be at the June friendlies, and he won't be at the September WCQ's, and any other camps that Floro should hold after then.

Edited by shermanator

I am totally speculating, which is because this board is pure speculation and of course totally unreliable (not like the Turkish press, which would have given us our answer months ago;)), but here's a thought: when he had that reaction at the GC the technical staff and Floro expected some kind of reaction on his part, like a specific apology, or reaching out in a specific way, and that did not happen. 

I am saying this as it seems a line was drawn, otherwise the ostracism is too extreme, I agree with many here that is not justified to be closing him out altogether for so long. You are always going to get a 2nd chance, usually after apologizing or genuflecting. And since this incident was not the most terrible that could happen (insulting declarations, physically violent behaviour), there is no reason to think he did not have a way out to get past it. 

Maybe I am totally wrong. If I am, if it is a Floro grudge even with Osorio apologizing or making gestures that he wants back in, then bad on Floro and his staff. 

So how bad is his injury? Aird seems to have caused it with his tackle (leading to his red card).

Replay: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/05/14/yellow-card-fraser-aird-picks-second-yellow-red-card-late-tackle

27 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Aird sent off with second yellow for breaking Osorio's foot.

I hope there was no break!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I was honestly surprised Osorio was even on the field for the second half.  He did not cover himself with glory tonight.  Lots of ball watching and late reactions, and dubious decisions on the ball.  (Not that he was alone in that, but he seemed to be a key part of all 4 Vancouver goals.)

He was key for the first Toronto goal as well though.  I would prefer him to be top of the diamond, I think, rather than to the side.

I do hope he's ok, or, barring that, that he recovers quickly and well.  

8 hours ago, paul-collins said:

I was honestly surprised Osorio was even on the field for the second half.  He did not cover himself with glory tonight.  Lots of ball watching and late reactions, and dubious decisions on the ball.  (Not that he was alone in that, but he seemed to be a key part of all 4 Vancouver goals.)

He was key for the first Toronto goal as well though.  I would prefer him to be top of the diamond, I think, rather than to the side.

I do hope he's ok, or, barring that, that he recovers quickly and well.  

He had a great throughball to Gio that Ousted got his fingertips on.

• 10 months later...

He isn't the best at shooting the ball. Missed the mark by a wide margin on 3 shots including one right in front of the net