Steven Vitória

Yohan

Weird is right... 460 tweets and some in Portuguese... tweeted Júlio César was playing a friendly with Benfica at BMO Field in July

Yeah I read through some of the tweets too.

Strange thing is, some of them are quite normal and sensible, while others are just plain foolish. You'd think with a parody all of the tweets would be silly, but perhaps they were trying really hard to make it realistic.

Hope Vitoria is not as big of a douche as his parody account suggests...

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Vitoria got released by Philly.

Link:

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/post/2015/12/10/philadelphia-union-announce-roster-moves-ahead-re-entry-draft

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

He was on loan from Benfica.

Yes. The media in Lisbon think he will get loaned out again:

http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira_liga/artigo/2015/12/01/philadelphia-union-vai-devolver-steven-vitoria-ao-benfica

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Interesting as I thought they rated him. Wonder where his next adventure will take him (and whether or not he'll finally get his head out of the clouds and throw his hat in the CMNT ring). 

To stay Philly/MLS would have needed to trigger the buyout which was probably in the millions. It's possible he could come back on a new loan agreement.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

To stay Philly/MLS would have needed to trigger the buyout which was probably in the millions. It's possible he could come back on a new loan agreement.

Probably not. Philly fans not happy with Vitoria's performance at his cap hit.

3 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Vitoria didn't play that well in Philly this year. Also had attitude problems. He walked out of the locker room after last game when coach was addressing the team.

Source?

EDIT: This I guess:

http://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/655854875377586176

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Is Vitoria even much of an upgrade to the CMNT at this point? I watched a few Philly games and thought he was pretty meh...maybe he isn't giving full effort which is another problem all together, but I don't see us being much better with him on the squad. I guess the depth would be nice but would rather roll with what we have in place already

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Is Vitoria even much of an upgrade to the CMNT at this point? I watched a few Philly games and thought he was pretty meh...maybe he isn't giving full effort which is another problem all together, but I don't see us being much better with him on the squad. I guess the depth would be nice but would rather roll with what we have in place already

Considering his age, we have a few younger CBs in Henry, Leferve, James, Gasparotto and even Skylar Thomas that I would select over him right now. 

Soooo I'll pass on this stale por

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Considering his age, we have a few younger CBs in Henry, Leferve, James, Gasparotto and even Skylar Thomas that I would select over him right now. 

Soooo I'll pass on this stale por

Of course Vitoria would be a good addition to the team. This sounds like when Hoilett was finally committing people were weirdly saying that we do not need him anymore....imagine...he's one of our best players.

Gasparotto, Thomas etc are not ready to be depended on yet. We need more experienced guys who have been around. Vitoria has played at good levels, and is physically a huge presence in the back that we need. And what do we need to consider about his age...he's 28.... Still has a lot left to offer.

Edited by Canadian Pride

13 minutes ago, Canadian Pride said:

Of course Vitoria would be a good addition to the team. This sounds like when Hoilett was finally committing people were weirdly saying that we do not need him anymore....imagine...he's one of our best players.

Gasparotto, Thomas etc are not ready to be depended on yet. We need more experienced guys who have been around. Vitoria has played at good levels, and is physically a huge presence in the back that we need. And what do we need to consider about his age...he's 28.... Still has a lot left to offer.

He was poor down the stretch for Philadelphia. 

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I don't think y'all watched many Union games this year, if he's considered top 4 or even a starter.

Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Jakovic and Hainault were better at the MLS level imo and I don't think there is any doubt that Edgar and Henry are better than Vitoria.  Lefevre was arguably better than Vitoria in MLS this year as well.  Vitoria may be better than Straith but I'd rather us make an example of him, especially if he has an attitude problem.  Gasaparotto is going to be a stud in the future too and James may develop a bit in the next few years, really haven't seen enough of him to say.

So I'd say he would be 5th/6th best CB in our pool.  It's best we make a cautionary tale out of him.

Edited by Keegan

18 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think Vitoria would be a top 4 CB in our player pool.  He would certainly be called every time and may or may not be a 1st choice starter.

Its probably a moot point right now but let's not kid ourselves.

Agree with that.

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I don't think y'all watched many Union games this year, if he's considered top 4 or even a starter.

Admittedly didn't watch many Union games this year, but lets consider the current top 4 (at least as apparently rated by Floro):

- Edgar (League 1 - regular starter)

- Henry (Championship - coming off injury)

- Jakovic (D2 Japan - regular starter, but also coming off injury)

- Straith (D2 Norway - regular starter)

Edited by A_Gagne

People are really over rating our defenders and have somewhat inaccurate memories of their time in MLS. Hainault lost his starting position by the time he left MLS, struggled to get playing time in B2 and is now playing in the 3rd division. MLS has improved since he left, it is debatable whether he still is good enough to be a starter in MLS right now. Jakovic was also a pretty average player during his time in MLS, good at moving the ball but weak defensively though possibly he has improved while in Japan. Edgar also struggled for playing time at D2 level and is now in D3. Lefevre has improved and is a good solid backup MLS CB but not a starter yet. Henry is the probably the best of the bunch but has been constantly injured recently. 

Philly were expecting and paid for a dominant CB  in Vitoria and he certainly did not meet those expectations. Nevertheless he was still a decent MLS starting CB during his time there and if he were not under contract to Benefica could easily find another MLS team to sign him though for a lesser salary than he was making last year. I don't think he has any future at Benefica from what I saw from him this year but he will likely end up on a lower table 1st division Portugese team and do well there like he did in the past. I personally do not want him to play for Canada but it is crazy to say he would not help us. He may not be an upgrade over guys like Henry, Edgar and Jakovic but he is at that level and would be in the mix to be a starter.

Regardless of what side of the argument you take he certainly is no longer the coveted "one that got away" type talent that he was once hyped up to be. I could be wrong, but by the end of the year, even after he got back to full fitness were they not still playing Edu in his place?

He had a rough season in Philly.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Regardless of what side of the argument you take he certainly is no longer the coveted "one that got away" type talent that he was once hyped up to be. I could be wrong, but by the end of the year, even after he got back to full fitness were they not still playing Edu in his place?

He had a rough season in Philly.

Nope, he won back the starters job after he came back from injury. The first few games after he returned he did not play but once he did he started every game except 2, the 2nd one being the last game of the season which was the game after he walked out of the dressing room. Whether he had a rough season or not depends on what your expectations of him were. Obviously he was not the star defender Philadelphia was expecting but more of an average MLS CB. At the same time we always run down players who should play for Canada but don't. On a character level I don't respect his decision either and don't want him to play for the national team especially since the dressing room incident suggests he doesn't have a good attitude. On the other hand when judging his play I think we need to be objective and in my opinion we are being both unnecessarily harsh on his play while over rating our current defenders. Vitoria is an average level MLS CB/lower table Portugese team starting CB and that is as good as or better than most if not all of our current national team CBs. The only guy who might be significantly better than him is Henry and even that depends on his after injury form and what he accomplishes in England. I don't want Vitoria to play for us but to say he would not be a good addition from a purely football perspective is false. 

Edited by Grizzly

On December 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Grizzly said:

On a character level I don't respect his decision either and don't want him to play for the national team especially since the dressing room incident suggests he doesn't have a good attitude. 

Not sure how that would go over with the current manager for our NT.  

I've never seen him play but is he a guy with a lot talent yet prone to big/key errors or poor decision making?

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória