Steven Vitória

Yohan

As usual a large number of the Vees with a naive and myopic view of international allegiance.  At some point, especially when these players start having kids, they look at practical considerations.  They see Hargreaves, who dismissed the CSA and got a dream move to Man Utd on the back of a solid World Cup with England - for him, it was worth untold thousands.  They see Begovic, who played 3 games at a World Cup and got a move to Chelsea - likely partly due to that exposure.  They see JDG2, playing in the 3rd place game at a World Cup final.

And then, even if they were motivated by genuine Canadian pride, they see the sheer ineptitude of administration and coaching within the CSA that makes the CanMNT choice even less appealing.

I get it, in an ideal world they could tell their wife that it's worth having a less comfortable lifestyle to play for Canada.  But the CSA makes that choice a lot harder.  I don't think we should be faulting these guys, who are often making a decision in their late teens.  I definitely don't think we should be rejecting them - not like we're in a position to.

Your other two examples work but this one is really week. Chelsea chose Begovic because he was available and because they've played against over a dozen times in the last few years... They probably watched tape from the WC but the bulk of their research would have been from the league both Stoke and Chelsea play in.

I think you are reading too much into this financial security for families argument. I'm not really inclined to believe that's why most people make the call to abandon Canada. None of us know so let's not assume, but I don't think that should pass as fact. But even if that were the case, no one here is passing judgment, we are merely saying if you go the money route, don't expect a place on the national team.

Anyway, I've typed out and deleted like 10 different angles to take this but I think we are so far away there's no real point. I just don't see any benefit in letting 18 year old kids call the shots.

Cal you're correct. I've known quite a few young professional athletes and not many of them were making life long decisions in their late teens and early twenties. Most of these guys have a group of people around them that will help/push them in certain directions and others that are constantly telling them how wonderful they are. That combination is why I think these guys end up with the belief that they're world betters and can play for Chile, Argentina or Portugal.

Yeah fair enough re: Begovic, although it's questionable if he gets that move to Stoke from Portsmouth in the first place if they knew he'd be jetting off every few months to Honduras instead of somewhere like Latvia.  See also: Hoilett, whose reluctance to be a CanMNT regular may be so he's in a better bargaining position everytime he has to negotiate a new contract.

As for your second point, I agree that these kids get pushed into thinking they're good enough for a world power, and I don't think we should hold it against them if we can re-recruit them later in their 20s.

• 3 weeks later...

On the MLS live broadcast they just said Vitoria wants to play well in Canada and he's made the decision to play for the Canadian national team.

It's said in first half stoppage time.

Can confirm he said it at 45:30. No reference or explanation so I think the announcer may just have made a mistake.

No need for a solid center back?  Really?  

He played a great game last night, in what was otherwise a drab affair.  I coulda sworne he asked for Drogba's jersey before the match ended.  Drogba opted to give it to an Ultra, in a good move.

Good in the air and played well all game.  But then again, it was not much of a game.

• 2 months later...

screenshot.thumb.png.07ab3b03388fd81b7b4Looks like Steven Vitória is waiting for a national team call up from Benito Floro and the CSA...

Enjoyed watching him score that header against TFC on October 3rd. When he was with Estoril between 2010 and 2013 he scored 19 goals, including 13 penalties... not bad for a defender!

Edited by mobilecalgary

Looks like Steven Vitória is waiting for a national team call up from Benito Floro and the CSA...

Enjoyed watching him score that header against TFC on October 3rd. When he was with Estoril between 2010 and 2013 he scored 19 goals, including 13 penalties... not bad for a defender!

Is that comment based on any new information?

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória