Steven Vitória

Yohan

I'm comfortable with Morgan or Adekugbe as back up LB, but not quite sure i'd be comfortable with either as the starter (unless we are stuck).

DeJong at LM likely relegates Tissot or Teibert to the bench (or Osorio if he plays inverted out wide). I think Tissot would provide the same thing at LM as De Jong and I really don't know if the upgrade is worth pulling him out of LB. But at least the option is there!

Same with Edgar - it's another option but hard to say if it's the best option. If we go with 2 DM's and an AM you'd think Johnson (if fit) would occupy one of those spots, with de Guzman or Hutchinson in the other. If we play Hutch at AM it's basically deGuzman, Piette or possibly Teibert he'd be competing with. My preference would be Hutch-Johnson with Osorio at the top; or Johnson-Teibert with Hutchison at the top...but I will not complain if deGuzman starts at DM...he's proven he deserves it.

My point about Edgar in the midfield is it seems that JDG has a position locked down which I know he's earned but it'll soon be time to move on. I think Edgar is great option at DM with Johnson and Hutch taking up the other two spots. I think De Jong at LM is better than Tissot at the same position, I've seen Tissot play a handful of games and I think he's great I just think that a left side with Morgan/Adekugbe and De Jong is a little more dynamic moving forward... Imagine Josh Simpson was still playing? Damn. As for the other side I would have Tiebert, Osorio or if available Akindele. Tiebert seems to have solidified the role of DM in Vancouver but I don't think he's an upgrade necessarily over Edgar.

My point about Edgar in the midfield is it seems that JDG has a position locked down which I know he's earned but it'll soon be time to move on. I think Edgar is great option at DM with Johnson and Hutch taking up the other two spots. I think De Jong at LM is better than Tissot at the same position, I've seen Tissot play a handful of games and I think he's great I just think that a left side with Morgan/Adekugbe and De Jong is a little more dynamic moving forward... Imagine Josh Simpson was still playing? Damn. As for the other side I would have Tiebert, Osorio or if available Akindele. Tiebert seems to have solidified the role of DM in Vancouver but I don't think he's an upgrade necessarily over Edgar.

I agree Teibert isn't an upgrade over Edgar at DM, but Edgar is definitely an upgrade over anyone else we have at CB. The drop-off from Edgar to Teibert at DM is smaller than Edgar to anyone else at CB, imo.

An often used cliché, but we need to have the strongest "spine" possible. Personally, if we go with one DM, I would prefer Teibert, all the while knowing both him and JDG will be seeing the field during matches (subs, collecting cards, etc).

Big problem is still at right back... Didn't Hainault play right back with some form of success for Houston years ago?

I agree Teibert isn't an upgrade over Edgar at DM, but Edgar is definitely an upgrade over anyone else we have at CB. The drop-off from Edgar to Teibert at DM is smaller than Edgar to anyone else at CB, imo.

An often used cliché, but we need to have the strongest "spine" possible. Personally, if we go with one DM, I would prefer Teibert, all the while knowing both him and JDG will be seeing the field during matches (subs, collecting cards, etc).

Big problem is still at right back... Didn't Hainault play right back with some form of success for Houston years ago?

Haineault did play RB for Houston and for the NT a few times I believe.

I don't agree about Haineault, Jakovic or even Henry being a big step down from Edgar at CB. To each their own.

Yeah I agree with you there mserson. I don't see how Edgar is way better than anyone else. Personally, I think he's overrated a bit on here. Aside from his leadership skills, he is pretty much average in every other aspect. He is not as composed as Jakovic, not as physical as Hainault, and not as athletic as Henry. I'm curious sebastien - why do you think Edgar is much better than everyone else?

Also - has anyone actually watched Edgar play a lot at DM? I haven't but I have watched Teibert there a lot and I really find it hard to imagine Edgar being better in that role. Teibert is fantastic there for Vancouver. He is better technically than Edgar, he probably has more endurance than Edgar, and he plays there every week. The only thing Edgar has over Teibert in that role is an ability to win headers. I don't see Edgar as being overly mobile either and without above average ball control I don't see how you can stick him in there before Teibert - but it would at least be worth it to experiment with it!

Yeah I agree with you there mserson. I don't see how Edgar is way better than anyone else. Personally, I think he's overrated a bit on here. Aside from his leadership skills, he is pretty much average in every other aspect. He is not as composed as Jakovic, not as physical as Hainault, and not as athletic as Henry. I'm curious sebastien - why do you think Edgar is much better than everyone else?

Also - has anyone actually watched Edgar play a lot at DM? I haven't but I have watched Teibert there a lot and I really find it hard to imagine Edgar being better in that role. Teibert is fantastic there for Vancouver. He is better technically than Edgar, he probably has more endurance than Edgar, and he plays there every week. The only thing Edgar has over Teibert in that role is an ability to win headers. I don't see Edgar as being overly mobile either and without above average ball control I don't see how you can stick him in there before Teibert - but it would at least be worth it to experiment with it!

I have not seen Edgar play at DM except maybe a few years ago for the NT (?), my speculation comes from what I've seen of him at CB. I agree about Tiebert for the most part but how do you rate him defensively? Ability to make tackles and track ball carriers with out diving in? That's my only concern.

Yeah I that is a valid concern. He is not much of a tackler but he does seem tenatious alongside Laba and Koffie, closing opposition down quickly and forcing turnovers. Johnson gets stuck in quite often and is tenacious as well - I think they'd be an interesting pairing.

The main reason is I find he is very composed on the ball in the back.

I'll admit I might not know enough to be able to judge his positioning, but I always found Edgar was our best bet to be able to clear the defensive third with posession.

I haven't seen Jakovic play in quite a while, but if there's something resembling a scramble, I prefer the ball falling to Edgar's feet rather than Hainault and Henry (and I'm a big fan of the later). I trust the former much more to do something better than just hoof the ball up field compared to the other two.

I really like Hainault's versatility though. He would definitely be an important addition to our back line, whether he starts every game or not.

Just curious, but are any of the Vitoria boosters watching any Philadelphia games?  As I am an expert in hate-watching things, here is what I have concluded:

1) I think it says something that Philadelphia has the worst defense in the league so far.  They've given up almost 2 goals a game, pacing them ahead of TFC and Montreal for that dubious honour.  I know everybody's crazy about playing time being an indicator of ability, but does it really hold as much weight when you are playing 90 minutes on the worst team in the league?

2) He goes down pretty easy, sometimes at the worst time.  See the free kick goal by RSL and Finlay's first goal last weekend.

3) He's not the fleetest of foot.  I think Akindele outpaced him pretty easily on his goal.

Might want to keep these things in mind when slotting him into your starting 11 or assuming that he's better than everything else we have.

This is your shit.

This is your shit being distrubed on El Hombre.

That is all.

I think ideally you keep your top guys in their spots and fill in where you need to.  We have a certain amount of depth now so we don't need every good player to play every game (in a lot of positions).  I think our best lineup shakes out something like this (if everyone is healthy and available).  I'm assuming Akindele but if other uncommitted players joined it would change the depth chart quite a bit.

1st Team:

Borjan

Hainault  Edgar  Henry  De Jong

De Guzman

Akindele  Johnson  Hutch  Ricketts

Haber

2nd Team:

Stama

Ledgerwood   Hainault   Jakovic   Morgan

Teibert

Jackson    Osorio     Bernier      REB

Larin

I realize I have Hainault in there 2x but he's both our starting RB and our backup CB in my mind.

After that it's a combination of young players with little experience and other journeyman types in our player pool.  But that's essentially our depth chart.

Edited by baulderdash77

I think ideally you keep your top guys in their spots and fill in where you need to.  We have a certain amount of depth now so we don't need every good player to play every game (in a lot of positions).  I think our best lineup shakes out something like this (if everyone is healthy and available).  I'm assuming Akindele but if other uncommitted players joined it would change the depth chart quite a bit.

1st Team:

Borjan

Hainault  Edgar  Henry  De Jong

De Guzman

Akindele  Johnson  Hutch  Ricketts

Haber

2nd Team:

Stama

Ledgerwood   Hainault   Jakovic   Morgan

Teibert

Jackson    Osorio     Bernier      REB

Larin

I realize I have Hainault in there 2x but he's both our starting RB and our backup CB in my mind.

After that it's a combination of young players with little experience and other journeyman types in our player pool.  But that's essentially our depth chart.

Opare could be in the second team at CB.

I recognize the legitimacy of putting your best players in their best positions and filling where you need to but I also believe with certain groups of players you can put out the best 11 and play them in flexible positions across the pitch, within reason of course.

When I started to think about our lineup earlier today I realized there's optimism that hasn't been around this team in while. Multiple players who are playing regularly and competing for the same positions. A solid core of vets who aren't too old. A solid group youth pushing for spots. With WCQ around the corner you start to think...

Opare could be in the second team at CB.

I recognize the legitimacy of putting your best players in their best positions and filling where you need to but I also believe with certain groups of players you can put out the best 11 and play them in flexible positions across the pitch, within reason of course.

When I started to think about our lineup earlier today I realized there's optimism that hasn't been around this team in while. Multiple players who are playing regularly and competing for the same positions. A solid core of vets who aren't too old. A solid group youth pushing for spots. With WCQ around the corner you start to think...

haha the life of a voyageur! eternal hope every time WCQ starts up again.

hopefully this time is different and we make the hex! fingers crossed

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/03/18/philly-soccer-show-steven-vitoria-and-the-sorry-state-of-mls-officiating/

I dunno if this was posted yet, and I haven't had a listen myself, but this is apparently an interview where he discusses various topics - including his thoughts on joining the CMNT

Edit: this is from March 2015

Edited by Obinna

I feel like we've been watching non-first choice lineups for so long in these friendlies that I can't figure out who is first choice

RIGHT! Lol

I don't even know what formation we play. 4-2-3-1? 4-3-2-1? 4-1-4-1?

I would love to thinks its 4-2-3-1

I feel like we've been watching non-first choice lineups for so long in these friendlies that I can't figure out who is first choice

Totally. We haven't really had our 'best XI' together. I'd say, dream scenario, I would love to see: 

--------------REB---Akindele-----------

Teibert-Johnson-Hutchinson-Hoilett

De Jong-Edgar-Henry-Ledgerwood

------------------Borjan------------------

----------------Cavallini--------------------

Teibert-----Hutchinson---Edwini-Bonsu

---------Johnson--DeGuzman-----------

deJong--Edgar--Henry--Ledgerwood

-----------------Borjan----------------------

Haber, Akindele, Larin

Osorio, Nakajima, Bekker, Piette

Hainault, Jakovic, Morgan

Stamatopolous, Roberts

What is this guy's problem?

Was there an incident that occured before during or after the WCQ in Honduras?

Does he have some sort of issue with the CSA?

This really makes no sense. He's already cap tied to us and being an active international would boost his stock not hurt it.

Edited by Obinna

What is this guy's problem?

Was there an incident that occured before during or after the WCQ in Honduras?

Does he have some sort of issue with the CSA?

This really makes no sense. He's already cap tied to us and being an active international would boost his stock not hurt it.

Here's my guess, which I think I've posted on this forum before so apologies to those who've read my crazy, incoherent, unfounded, totally speculative theories.

In order for Lucas to get where he is now he's probably had to dedicate most of life to soccer. He's now 22 and settled in another country. He has a wife/partner/girlfriend and very young family. Maybe his priorities have changed and soccer is secondary now. Maybe he sees soccer as a job, not as a passion. If so traveling away from your new home and family for days or weeks at time may not be appealing.

I know a few former high level athletes, a few hockey players, a couple of football players and a couple of baseball players. All of whom were paid to play professionally in top leagues in their respective sports or received scholarships to top schools in their respective sports. Most of them by the time they were in their mid twenties were exhausted. Some who had a ton of talent chose to forgo opportunities at higher levels and for may pay because they didn't want to push themselves. They were content. Some openly and often talked about retirement and being excited for the days they didn't have to train or eat right.

That's my theory and it is not based on anything at all. I don't know Lucas, his family or anyone connected to him, this is all speculation. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

i think it has more to do with money.  cavallini would be making more money working at mcdonalds than playing for Fenix on loan.  he is making the least coin of all the players on the CMNT radar.  

until he gets a new contract, he is going to focus on his club career.  at this stage of his career, one wrong move and he is back in league 1 ontario.  he will play when he can play.  right now he cant.  too much pressure on him and he has zero leverage.  

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória