Steven Vitória

Yohan

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If we assume the news is true, why would Benfica release him of his contract? Is it because they cannot loan him out at a value equal to the cost of covering his contract (so it's cheaper to simply cancel it)?

If a team has decided a player has no future at their club and they can't make any money selling him they will always want to get him off their books as a far preferable and less risky option than trying to loan him. In particular, they want to have no future liabilities to the player. If the player thinks he can sign for similar money somewhere else or is willing to take a pay cut to further his career and get playing time then the best solution is usually a mutually agreed termination of the contract. As long as a player is under contract the team has control of when and with whom he can sign with so much better for his career to get released if he has some interest from other clubs. 

it is what it is.  he'll have to play hard and bring his best to get any minutes for us in a meaningful game.  i'll support him as i will any player who wears our kit.

but the stunt he pulled in 07 remains one of the more bitter slaps in the face canadian soccer has ever received.  

I will remember.

Edited by BrennanFan

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Fuck Vitoria, and fuck us for being so spineless as to accept him. But I'm going to focus on the new players like Farago, Irving, and Dixon who aren't pieces of shit.

Isn't it the Canadian thing to do to forgive and forget?

30 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Fuck Vitoria, and fuck us for being so spineless as to accept him. But I'm going to focus on the new players like Farago, Irving, and Dixon who aren't pieces of shit.

What a sexist comment. If it was Sydney Leroux coming back into fold i bet you'd be super supportive. [/trolling]

1 hour ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Fuck Vitoria, and fuck us for being so spineless as to accept him.

what makes someone spineless to do this?

Yeah, Vitoria was a bad dude... however, that is in the past.  I get it, he wanted to play for Portugal and waited years to see if they would call him. Now that he knows it will never happen, he comes back to his home country.  I get the anger over it, but it is in the past.

Let me ask you, are you someone who thinks that it someone makes a bad decision, they should never be forgiven or allowed in the door again?  If so, your comment makes a bit more sense.

Thanks

Edited by amanfromvancouver

8 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Yeah, Vitoria was a bad dude... however, that is in the past.

Let me ask you, are you someone who thinks that it someone makes a bad decision, they should never be forgiven or allowed in the door again?  If so, your comment makes a bit more sense.

Thanks

Forget that, I am even going to question this opinion that he's a "bad dude"

Does anyone here actually know him personally?

If not, you're opinion of him is not particularly valid.

Furthermore, just because he made a personal decision that doesn't suit our interests, it does not mean he is a bad person. It means he had the guts to go after what he wanted. Even if "what he wanted" turned out to be a poor career choice.

He could have been approaching 40 or 50 caps with us now. That experience would have likely boosted his club career. We'll never know what would have been.

Regardless, I choose to take the "I told you so" stance to this. I would have bet big money on him never playing for Portugal, and the fact he is in our program is all I need to be satisfied.

Besides, he is a decent player that will help our program (if he has the right attitude, which remains to be seen given the fact he walked out of the Union press conference, apparently).

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

however, that is in the past.  I get it, he wanted to play for Portugal

It's that he played for them at the U-20 level instead of Canada.

In Canada's showcase event at the time: the 2007 U-20 World Cup.

In his hometown of Toronto.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Yeah, Vitoria was a bad dude... however, that is in the past.  I get it, he wanted to play for Portugal and waited years to see if they would call him. Now that he knows it will never happen, he comes back to his home country.  I get the anger over it, but it is in the past.

Thanks

W E W   L A D

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's that he played for them at the U-20 level instead of Canada.

In Canada's showcase event at the time: the 2007 U-20 World Cup.

In his hometown of Toronto.

Serious question: In 2007, did Vitoria turn the CSA down in favour of Portugal?

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Forget that, I am even going to question this opinion that he's a "bad dude"

Does anyone here actually know him personally?

If not, you're opinion of him is not particularly valid.

Furthermore, just because he made a personal decision that doesn't suit our interests, it does not mean he is a bad person. It means he had the guts to go after what he wanted. Even if "what he wanted" turned out to be a poor career choice.

He could have been approaching 40 or 50 caps with us now. That experience would have likely boosted his club career. We'll never know what would have been.

Regardless, I choose to take the "I told you so" stance to this. I would have bet big money on him never playing for Portugal, and the fact he is in our program is all I need to be satisfied.

Besides, he is a decent player that will help our program (if he has the right attitude, which remains to be seen given the fact he walked out of the Union press conference, apparently).

Y'know what, you're right.  Everybody is wonderful.  I hope all games end in ties so that no one gets discouraged.  Let's expand the World Cup to be 200 teams because all the players are unique snowflakes and they all deserve to get to play in the big game.

Let's all hug.

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória