Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

The talk is that he apparently has "more money" offers that Forge is blocking/asking for too much in transfer fees.

That would definitely fit the idea that players will think twice about joining the Forge once they find out. Hard to believe the Forge would do that when the league is looking to be the place where Canadian players can develop before moving onto something bigger with the clubs picking up transfer fees along the way but maybe they are scared of what could happen against a club like Chivas with a second string inexperienced goalie.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

The talk is that he apparently has "more money" offers that Forge is blocking/asking for too much in transfer fees.

Seems odd. If you can get anything for a thirty year-old keeper who wants to move on, seems like you'd take it. He was really good last season, but he'll likely have to be replaced in the next few years anyway.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Seems odd. If you can get anything for a thirty year-old keeper who wants to move on, seems like you'd take it. He was really good last season, but he'll likely have to be replaced in the next few years anyway.

Agreed. Something doesn't sound completely right to me.
Especially for someone who's been there since day one.

To be fair, this type of thing happens all the time, and it's hardly an issue that will cause players to think twice about playing for Forge (IMO) if what is being said is true. Clubs are free to refuse offers on players if they feel they are undervalued and it happens across the footballing world, holding the club to ransom by refusing to travel or play because you don't get your way is just as much as a dick move tbh.

Sure they are free to do it but if this was Triston Henry's big chance to move onto something bigger and better then other CanPL players and their agents will almost certainly take note of what happened when negotiating contract terms with the Smyrniotis brothers. If it was a case of refusing to play against Chivas after not receiving an extra 5k per season by moving to York United then it's a different story obviously. 

Bobby Smyrniotis needs to take a long hard look at himself if that's accurate. Good to see some genuine reporting from Northern Tribune again rather than just a rehash of what's being reported elsewhere. You could question why Triston Henry signed a contract that could run past his green card expiry if that was going to be a concern, but maybe he didn't fully understand the implications of the option year? If so, he needs a better agent.

Its one of these instances where I can understand where someone is coming from in theory but its still a dumb move in practice.

From Forge POV he is under contract, an important part of their line up and the whole USL+Green card deal doesn't really the unwritten but general understanding the league has with its players that it won't stand in the way of a move up in the Soccer world. Them wanting good money to part way with the man makes complete sense.

In practice though, they now have a big hole in their line up they probably can't fill while the situation is unresolved, said situation is probably not good to keep him in Hamilton for longer or to have someone pay good money in transfer fees and you'd have to think this mess isn't good for the mood in the lockeroom...

IMO Forge would have been better off bitting the bullet by selling him for whatever they were able to get and finding as good a replacement as they could.

25 minutes ago, phil03 said:

IMO Forge would have been better off bitting the bullet by selling him for whatever they were able to get and finding as good a replacement as they could.

Wouldn’t that encourage others to force a move whenever they aren't happy with their situation? That might explain the hard stance from Bobby.

How had he secured a move when he was still under contract with Forge and they hadnt accepted the offer from Memphis??? Forge has every right to get VALUE/CASH out of Memphis for the player they have stuck with and developed.  If Memphis really wanted him they would pony up more to make the thing go through.  

UGGHHH, what is with these players? They sign the f#cking contracts and then dont want to live up to them.  Stop signing deals with club triggered option years!!  Maybe there is bad faith negotiating going on, they told Henry they would move him, then they said no, etc etc But why sit? How does that improve your value at all? The memphis deal has likely gone by the wayside and playing against CHivas would have prob upped his value if he put on a show.     

I dunno, goalkeeper is an odd one, most teams will have tried to sort that out by now. A $100K move with personal terms agreed doesn't come around very often.

I agree option years are a sh*tshow, but it's not like players have the ability to dictate terms. It sounds like a good deal for Forge from here, I don't think they should stand in the way of this kind of career progression for a player in his prime, but maybe I don't have the most precise appreciation of what constitutes far market value for CanPL players

Edited by themodelcitizen

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Wouldn’t that encourage others to force a move whenever they aren't happy with their situation? That might explain the hard stance from Bobby.

That's football.  Nothing new to see here if that's the case.  Pretty sure there's more to this than meets the eye.  Just can't stand in the way of a player move in this league.

Maybe Bobby doesn't like USL teams tampering, means to be stern on the practice before it becomes a bigger problem.

Not saying any tampering went on.  Just speculation.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's fair, but I'd argue that what little we know seems to show its the other way around: unless there is something else entirely that we do not know about Henri's unhappiness seem to come from the fact he can't get a transfer he wants for non-Soccer reasons (the Green card thing) instead of being what lead him to try to push for a transfer in the first place. After all, this mess exploding in public is a fairly recent development so odds are Henri was playing ball, to make a terrible pun, and discussions about the situation were held in private until Bobby vetoed the transfer.

Sure, it's perfectly possible Bobby didn't want the precedent of players feeling they could demand the club accept a lower transfer fee because they want out but then, that's what undisclosed fees are for isn't it? A precedent only matters if other people know about it...

Edited by phil03

53 minutes ago, phil03 said:

That's fair, but I'd argue that what little we know seems to show its the other way around: unless there is something else entirely that we do not know about Henri's unhappiness seem to come from the fact he can't get a transfer he wants for non-Soccer reasons (the Green card thing) instead of being what lead him to try to push for a transfer in the first place. After all, this mess exploding in public is a fairly recent development so odds are Henri was playing ball, to make a terrible pun, and discussions about the situation were held in private until Bobby vetoed the transfer.

Sure, it's perfectly possible Bobby didn't want the precedent of players feeling they could demand the club accept a lower transfer fee because they want out but then, that's what undisclosed fees are for isn't it? A precedent only matters if other people know about it...

How's Henry's green card issues Forge problem? He's an adult, he bears the responsibility for his decision/gamble. I disagree that Forge should sell at lower value just because he gambled wrong. 

Again, refusing to report to preseason and the game against Chivas is unprofessional in my opinion. He missed an opportunity to raise his value and get the state move later during the season.

I find it strange to see so many in this thread taking ownership/management's side in a league where many players barely make a living wage. Refusing to report is basically the only leverage an athlete has when their contract situation is disadvantageous to them. I'll always be on the player's side in a situation like this.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I find it strange to see so many in this thread taking ownership/management's side in a league where many players barely make a living wage. Refusing to report is basically the only leverage an athlete has when their contract situation is disadvantageous to them. I'll always be on the player's side in a situation like this.

The player agreed to the contract situation. He didn't have to sign it and could have been in the US earlier. Why should the club be held responsible for the player's "choice"?

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The player agreed to the contract situation. He didn't have to sign it and could have been in the US earlier. Why should the club be held responsible for the player's "choice"?

I'm not going to say that Henry isn't responsible for signing a bad deal for himself under the rules, but I think when salaries are so low unilateral club options should not be allowed. I'd even argue a certain salary threshold should have to be met before a contract longer than a single season can be signed in CPL.

That's not the current environment, though, and Henry is taking the only option available to him in order to attempt to make a move that will have a major bearing on his future, post-football, life. Clubs apply pressure in different ways. I don't know how anyone could be upset with what Henry is reported to be doing.

37 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm not going to say that Henry isn't responsible for signing a bad deal for himself under the rules, but I think when salaries are so low unilateral club options should not be allowed. I'd even argue a certain salary threshold should have to be met before a contract longer than a single season can be signed in CPL.

That's not the current environment, though, and Henry is taking the only option available to him in order to attempt to make a move that will have a major bearing on his future, post-football, life. Clubs apply pressure in different ways. I don't know how anyone could be upset with what Henry is reported to be doing.

We don't know that it was a bad deal as this has more to do with his green card situation than money. Also, having argued at large with Americans who were defending Orlando in the Cyle Larin saga - unilateral options are legal if the raise is within the norms/substantial. Anyways, MLS still doing it.