Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Mitrovic come out of one of the open CPL tryouts??  A year later he was in serbian superleague??  And certain posters slammed the CPL for not picking up on him??  

Yes, and he's not the only one

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Mitrovic come out of one of the open CPL tryouts??  A year later he was in serbian superleague??  And certain posters slammed the CPL for not picking up on him??  

You have to wonder how he was missed. Just had his worst day ever at trials, or coaches didn't take open trials seriously and weren't paying close attention...? 

3 hours ago, jdheid said:

You have to wonder how he was missed. Just had his worst day ever at trials, or coaches didn't take open trials seriously and weren't paying close attention...? 

Having a difficult parent would turn off a lot of clubs. Not saying he reared his ugly head, but just maybe.

Given Stefan Mitrovic was a young Hamilton player who had spent time with TFC Academy he should have been on their radar in scouting terms and wasn't a player who should have needed to pay $100 for an open trial to be noticed. Playing for Hamilton City in the unsanctioned CSL likely didn't do him any favours where getting selected for national youth teams was concerned. The way into the Forge was very much through Sigma and L1O rather than the Hamilton club in the latter day outlaw incarnation of the CSL.

It's a tweet that appears to have been deleted, but somebody appears to have responded before Ivan did so:

Maybe the son is now finally old enough to be able to tell his father when to wind his neck in a bit. Some of Ivan's other tweets provide context for why the Forge shouldn't have needed a paid open tryout to become aware of Stefan Mitrovic:

Not just the Forge obviously that need to have a long hard look at why this guy just wound up with Hellas Verona in Serie A after being deemed surplus to requirements by TFC and wound up with a Serbian rather than a Canadian flag in the announcement tweet.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I still think Ivan pushed his son to Serbia and everything else is just scapegoating.

And of course the usual suspects eat it up because it's a lazy way to continue their narratives about soccer in Canada

50 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So just to be clear Stefan Mitrovic in terms of his international status can only play for Serbia ? Or does he still have the option of doing a one time switch to Canada if he wanted to? 

Think not due to his second cap for Serbia last year happening after he had turned 21.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

I still think Ivan pushed his son to Serbia and everything else is just scapegoating.

And of course the usual suspects eat it up because it's a lazy way to continue their narratives about soccer in Canada

I get it but I think it this instance both TFC and the CPL to an extent missed on this one , probably more TFC here because they had him in their academy and let him go from what I understand . However, it does look like somehow the CPL or Forge overlooked him too unfortunately. The only thing that might have also come into play from the looks of it is a player with an overbearing parent that maybe TFC and the CPL and Forge just didn’t want to deal with anymore for TFC and maybe Forge and the CPL just didn’t want to even get involved with so they just didn’t bother with him . 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I believe he was only 16 at those CPL trials.

To mark that as a negative against Forge and the league is sort of ludicrous and real revisionist history.

Remember too Canada did eventually invite him. He decided to stick with Serbia.

But not too long after the kid was getting regular minutes in Serbia’s top division . Like I said it’s more of a TFC miss here because they had him in their academy, but when you then go out to a tryout or combine and getting overlooked by the CPL and Forge that to me is still a bit of a miss too, not as big as TFC who had him in their system though . But like I said maybe there were other reasons like I mentioned before for both TFC and the CPL not keeping him . 

Just now, SoccMan said:

But not too long after the kid was getting regular minutes in Serbia’s top division . Like I said it’s more of a TFC miss here because they had him in their academy, but when you then go out to a tryout or combine and getting overlooked by the CPL and Forge that to me is still a bit of a miss too, not as big as TFC who had him in their system though . But like I said maybe there were other reasons like I mentioned before for both TFC and the CPL not keeping him . 

But we are only getting one side of the story.

For all we know teams in Canada did want him but they said no to what was offered. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Did his father move out of Canada too?

17 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Did his father move out of Canada too?

Do you really not understand that being upset with the CSA and others within Canada's pro soccer fraternity is not the same thing as being upset with Canada as a country? The fact Ivan Mitrovic was so upset is a pretty strong indication of what the Mitrovic family's first choice was in terms of national team representation.

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do you really not understand that being upset with the CSA and others within Canada's pro soccer fraternity is not the same thing as being upset with Canada as a country? The fact Ivan Mitrovic was so upset is a pretty strong indication of what the Mitrovic family's first choice was in terms of national team representation.

Or he was always interested in Serbia first and is blowing up this 'snub' so that internet losers can use this for their Canada is bad narrative.

^^^I normally just ignore this small minded bigot but just occasionally a response is necessary. How dare anyone on here suggest that I am pushing a Canada is bad narrative. I made a positive decision in life to move to Canada and become a citizen because I think Canada is pretty much the best country in the world. Being of the belief that CanPL should have launched with a different economic model from what it did doesn't mean I dislike Canada (why would it that's completely nonsensical?), and definitely doesn't mean I dislike Canadian soccer, it just means that I would love to see pro soccer in Canada succeed to its full potential and have an opinion as to how that should unfold.