Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

COVID restrictions were still an issue at that point though? Think the reason they might want to avoid a winter bubble is what quickly happened to the quality of the BMO Field turf in the early years of TFC when MLSE had to do that as part of the deal that got the stadium built. Not necessarily a moneyspinner if you are having to replace the turf a lot more often so they moved that obligation to Lamport.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CCL scheduling is so bad for CPL that I wonder if there's any point being part of it. Whatever team is in it will always have an almost impossible draw, will have been in the off-season for three months already, and then will have two more months before the season starts. The gate isn't likely to be that great either given they play on February 7th. Concacaf League was better for CanPL teams than this, but maybe it's too expensive for everyone involved to do the travel.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

The CCL scheduling is so bad for CPL that I wonder if there's any point being part of it. Whatever team is in it will always have an almost impossible draw, will have been in the off-season for three months already, and then will have two more months before the season starts. The gate isn't likely to be that great either given they play on February 7th. Concacaf League was better for CanPL teams than this, but maybe it's too expensive for everyone involved to do the travel.

Yes and the optics for the league are terrible. It really lends itself to the false narrative that CPL is just an afterthought and not worth much respect in the region.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

The thing too is that it is not likely to ever change either.

Because of all the other tournaments (Leagues Cup, Central American Cup, Caribbean Cup) the CCC has to run February to early June.

Sure, maybe once in awhile a CPL team might be able to pull off what Haiti's Violette did last year vs. an MLS opponent. But the odds will always be massively stacked against them.

6 hours ago, nolando said:

Yes and the optics for the league are terrible. It really lends itself to the false narrative that CPL is just an afterthought and not worth much respect in the region.

Are you able to cogently articulate what's actually false about that line of reasoning when it's viewed from the vantage point of the rest of CONCACAF? 

On 1/11/2024 at 6:45 PM, nolando said:

There is no good solution for all the leagues involved in CCC. Early rounds are bad for MLS as well, but especially bad for CPL. And now with Leagues Cup, there's no chance it will ever shift to later dates. But shifting it would be bad for Liga MX and Central American leagues, so someone will always be getting the shaft. But realistically with the knockout format, outside of Saprissa or Alajualense pulling off the odd upset, the tournament is pretty pointless for non-Liga MX/MLS teams.

On 1/14/2024 at 2:51 AM, Cicero said:

...But realistically with the knockout format, outside of Saprissa or Alajualense pulling off the odd upset, the tournament is pretty pointless for non-Liga MX/MLS teams.

Especially if you have to come out of hibernation over three months before your league season starts and before you have your full roster sorted out again. That's got to be expensive to do regardless of whether you have to play out of town or make a CFL stadium safe for spectators for a one-off game of this magnitude over the winter when the CFL isn't active. Maybe an MLS or Liga MX team will take their CanPL opponent too lightly sometimes but they have a second leg to try to sort any mishap out in that regard and it's the stronger teams from those leagues that will tend to qualify. 

18 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Rama to Albania

I guess this is just about going home. Not really a step up. Stadium holds 4,000. They lost in first round of Conference League last year. Sad to see him leave, he was always fun to watch.

30 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I guess this is just about going home. Not really a step up. Stadium holds 4,000. They lost in first round of Conference League last year. Sad to see him leave, he was always fun to watch.

For those who watch Forge closer than I was this guy a starter and a key player for Forge?

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

Questions for those following Forge more closely then I am: would it be accurate that recent weeks have shown some serious signs of decline for the club, with some key pieces gone and seemingly not replaced?

Yes, but I feel that way about Forge every year. 

20 hours ago, phil03 said:

Questions for those following Forge more closely then I am: would it be accurate that recent weeks have shown some serious signs of decline for the club, with some key pieces gone and seemingly not replaced?

As @Ftduck says it does seem that way every season but eventually replacements are brought in and the results speak for themselves! It looks like the team could be very undermanned for the Concacaf match but I'm not sure that will make much difference in the overall result of this tie, the regular season is 2 1/2 months away, I am sure the team will bring in some good replacements for those who have moved on, they always do!

21 hours ago, phil03 said:

The D is really depleted. I feel okay about starting Samuel, Metusala and Belewu, but there is not much on the bench beyond those guys. Tavernier, Kane and Duncan are all unproven commodities at this point, and I think only Kane is really an inside D. Samuel was playing outside at the end of the season, but if they don't pick up some more proven defenders, hard to see how they can play him there. We're certainly not in rebuild mode, but the back line is definitely a step down from last year, so far.

50 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The D is really depleted. I feel okay about starting Samuel, Metusala and Belewu, but there is not much on the bench beyond those guys. Tavernier, Kane and Duncan are all unproven commodities at this point, and I think only Kane is really an inside D. Samuel was playing outside at the end of the season, but if they don't pick up some more proven defenders, hard to see how they can play him there. We're certainly not in rebuild mode, but the back line is definitely a step down from last year, so far.

The coach is still the same , you still have a decent core of players that know what it takes to win, moreover, this is an organization that has been winning since the start of this league more or less . The culture of this team organization looks really good . I really believe this club will continue to be the elite of this league for many  years to come with Cavalry being a close second in terms of status and prestige in this league . The thing to look at in a few years time is how these two teams will adjust once their present coaches eventually leave to hopefully bigger coaching gigs which I think both of them deserve based on how well they have  done the in the CPL.

Edited by SoccMan