Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FC-SHORTTERM_16x9.jpg

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-sign-three-players-to-short-term-contracts

JANUARY 31, 2024

Dino Bontis, Amadou Kone, and Kevaughn Tavernier Signed to Concacaf Roster

Forge FC announced Tuesday the club has signed goalkeeper Dino Bontis, attacker Amadou Kone, and attacker Kevaughn Tavernier to short-term contracts. The three players will be on the club’s 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup roster.

Bontis, 19, is part of the Canadian youth national team (U20) pool, having previously represented Canada at the U15 age group in 2019 making four appearances in the U15 Concacaf Championships securing two clean sheets and at the 2022 Concacaf Men’s Under-20 Championship recording 1 clean sheet. Bontis previously signed a development contract with Forge FC in 2022.

Kone, 18, is Forge FC’s second-round selection from the 2024 CPL-USports Draft. The native of Ottawa, Ontario, made 12 appearances recording one goal in his rookie season at Carleton University in 2023.

Tavernier, 18, comes from Sigma FC. The native of Brampton, Ontario, signed a development contract with Forge FC on June 25, 2023, going on to make his first appearance with the club on September 9, 2023, against Cavalry FC and his first professional start on September 17, 2023, versus Valour FC. The youth prospect represented Canada at the 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup

22 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Holy fuck way better than I could’ve expected. Cisse has been sorely missed.

https://x.com/forgefchamilton/status/1752784361005469763?s=46&t=ZKgNEBdXB3pBcPOUDbIpCg

Hojabrpour and Cisse play very similar roles. Wonder if they both sit on top of a three man back line given our lack of wide defenders, or does Hojabrpour lose his spot? I assume Jonsson will play almost exclusively as a CB this season, unless they sign someone new at that position. Belewu and Metusala are pretty mobile, so it could work if Bobby wants to play Poku and (Tavernier/Duncan/?) as wide mids with two forwards (Campbell/Badibanga). But that leaves both Choiniere and Borges as bench options. I suppose one of them could be the RM, but they don't add much defensively. We have played with wingbacks basically the entire existence of the club, so that would be a big change.

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

This really seems like a different level of signing

Based on his background, it seems that way, but I have no idea what his situation is. Did something negative happen with him that ended his time in Germany?

Just now, Cicero said:

Based on his background, it seems that way, but I have no idea what his situation is. Did something negative happen with him that ended his time in Germany?

Also, questions about salary cap...How can they have this experienced a roster and still be under the cap?