Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could actually be a good idea to try to destabilize and beat an mls opponent in a cup game...morning kickoff 10-15k+ spectators and forge is already in very good form

but obviously not nice for a lot of fans who will have to miss a game vs an mls team because of an early kickoff

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

could actually be a good idea to try to destabilize and beat an mls opponent in a cup game...morning kickoff 10-15k+ spectators and forge is already in very good form

but obviously not nice for a lot of fans who will have to miss a game vs an mls team because of an early kickoff

Silver lining - It could grow the fan base. Are there any Forge players actually from Hamilton? Imagine the little roar of the kids from a particular school if they announced a playeras having attended that school.

Not sure which is best chat to share these views- chose the Forge thread as feedback is about the game experience today.

I am a SSH - so I was more or less unaffected overall- except my son could not get to the game with me as he is working and just got home hence wanted to share some views about the game experience today

That said, I would give Forge admin ( not the team on field ) a C- today - and when I went to school in Hammer ( Hillcrest, Glen Echo, Glendale, HCI for Grade 13!- the lack of grade inflation would have been a D- or F! for today)

1. They bring so many young kids to the game- they baked in the sun today- and there was no in game engagement!- no T shirt tosses, no individual school recognition, no special merch rather  nothing to appeal to that age group- heck even a buy 1- get one free offer for rest of season. These kids will come home with virtually no souvenirs from the game- rather unless with sunscreen- they will come back with sunburn and nil incentive to go back

2. If any game required a special kit, or pre game warm up to recognize the day- this one did

3. Seemed scripted that every 15 mins, the team would flash a "make some noise" on the screen- EVEN when CF M had a corner or a free kick- hit pause game day operator guy and chose a more fitting moment

4. At half they had a mascot race, fair play but that was the only off field event that would fit the age demo at the game today

4. The focus seemed on getting X number of kids to the match, at whatever revenue per ticket and nothing more "unique" to make this event better, next year and going forward

21 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Not sure which is best chat to share these views- chose the Forge thread as feedback is about the game experience today.

I am a SSH - so I was more or less unaffected overall- except my son could not get to the game with me as he is working and just got home hence wanted to share some views about the game experience today

That said, I would give Forge admin ( not the team on field ) a C- today - and when I went to school in Hammer ( Hillcrest, Glen Echo, Glendale, HCI for Grade 13!- the lack of grade inflation would have been a D- or F! for today)

1. They bring so many young kids to the game- they baked in the sun today- and there was no in game engagement!- no T shirt tosses, no individual school recognition, no special merch rather  nothing to appeal to that age group- heck even a buy 1- get one free offer for rest of season. These kids will come home with virtually no souvenirs from the game- rather unless with sunscreen- they will come back with sunburn and nil incentive to go back

2. If any game required a special kit, or pre game warm up to recognize the day- this one did

3. Seemed scripted that every 15 mins, the team would flash a "make some noise" on the screen- EVEN when CF M had a corner or a free kick- hit pause game day operator guy and chose a more fitting moment

4. At half they had a mascot race, fair play but that was the only off field event that would fit the age demo at the game today

4. The focus seemed on getting X number of kids to the match, at whatever revenue per ticket and nothing more "unique" to make this event better, next year and going forward

Very discouraging to read your report of the game day experience. Hopefully it gets better if this is something they continue to do.

50 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Appreciate the report because it's not at all the picture that Forge's social media painted with merch sales, Ti-cats participating, gear tosses, autographs etc. being shown via videos and pictures

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Appreciate the report because it's not at all the picture that Forge's social media painted with merch sales, Ti-cats participating, gear tosses, autographs etc. being shown via videos and pictures

Ti- Cats participating , how does that help getting more people to Forge games ? 

19 hours ago, jdheid said:

Very discouraging to read your report of the game day experience. Hopefully it gets better if this is something they continue to do.

I think they should be cut some slack as it is the first year, but it wasn't the smoothest run event. There were some souvenir balls thrown out by a Ticat, but I guess not as many as they could have. But there aren't that many stoppages in play in a soccer game where you can run that kind of thing. Also a little clunky on the departure as the announcer announced that some groups should start leaving before the game even ended. I arrived just as they kicked off, so I don't know what went on pre-game, but it took some time to get all the kids into their seats.

I guess as a purist, I feel that they should be there for the game, I find all the distractions annoying. I can't even go to a Raptors game anymore, there is just too much noise and distraction, I find it ridiculous and off-putting.  But obviously it appeals to some people.

I guess you can generate some revenue if you attract people who are out for the spectacle, but I don't think that's a winning strategy at this level of soccer. Until an event is considered trendy by the mainstream, bandwagoners aren't going to be a major source of revenue, and CPL is some ways off attaining that status. They need to continue cultivating a fan base of committed soccer fans who make going to games a ritual. Forge have roughly 3500 of those as far as I can tell, but probably need 2 or 3k more to really cement their place in the city's sporting landscape. Then you have a sustainable base, and get another 3-5k out for big games which is bonus money you can use to grow the game.

I think overall the School Day game has to be given passing marks just by the sheer numbers of kids who were bussed to and from the event, as @Markoaleks mentions there are things that certainly can be improved upon although I must say the youngsters near our section all seemed to be enjoying themselves and were intrigued by the drumming and singing from The Battalion! The manufactured noise thing is so much like a Ticat game, they probably need a soccer person deciding when to post it on the screen so the timing will be more appropriate! I think there were some special merchandise deals but I am sure most of these kids weren't getting the email from the club which we received promoting it!                         The match was very entertaining and I feel really bad for the Forge faithful who were unable to attend because of work commitments! I was very critical of the club before the match and I stand by some of those criticisms, much better communication with the fans would be a good start! This match was planned over a year ago so this should have been brought forward when season tickets were renewed, I think an opt out option would have been fair, although it seems Canada Soccer controlled the dates of the V's Cup rounds it would have been nice weeks ago if we were alerted that a win over York would mean a visit by MLS side Montreal, no offence to The Wanderers but with more time to prepare perhaps more fans would have worked their schedule around this match, who knows when the next visit of an MLS team will be to THF? In summary I think the overall idea was a good one and there can be lessons learned if they will hold this event next season like not having this conflict with the V's Cup 1/4 final and giving SSH an opt out option!

1 hour ago, gator said:

I think overall the School Day game has to be given passing marks just by the sheer numbers of kids who were bussed to and from the event, as @Markoaleks mentions there are things that certainly can be improved upon although I must say the youngsters near our section all seemed to be enjoying themselves and were intrigued by the drumming and singing from The Battalion! The manufactured noise thing is so much like a Ticat game, they probably need a soccer person deciding when to post it on the screen so the timing will be more appropriate! I think there were some special merchandise deals but I am sure most of these kids weren't getting the email from the club which we received promoting it!                         The match was very entertaining and I feel really bad for the Forge faithful who were unable to attend because of work commitments! I was very critical of the club before the match and I stand by some of those criticisms, much better communication with the fans would be a good start! This match was planned over a year ago so this should have been brought forward when season tickets were renewed, I think an opt out option would have been fair, although it seems Canada Soccer controlled the dates of the V's Cup rounds it would have been nice weeks ago if we were alerted that a win over York would mean a visit by MLS side Montreal, no offence to The Wanderers but with more time to prepare perhaps more fans would have worked their schedule around this match, who knows when the next visit of an MLS team will be to THF? In summary I think the overall idea was a good one and there can be lessons learned if they will hold this event next season like not having this conflict with the V's Cup 1/4 final and giving SSH an opt out option!

I watched it (recorded) after work. I have to say the kids brought a good energy it seemed. Their cheering really came through on the broadcast. 

1 hour ago, jdheid said:

I watched it (recorded) after work. I have to say the kids brought a good energy it seemed. Their cheering really came through on the broadcast. 

That is why I am not against the club doing this again, there was a different energy in the stadium, at times all the kids screaming was ear piercing to this old guy, it was great and hopefully Forge has found some new fans! I am sure the club has learned a lot on the logistics of an event, just look at the line of busses in the pic I posted above, as well as what they can do better! Hopefully there is enough input from SSH and other adult fans of the club to make this event smoother for all!

It took 2 years to plan school day. They were set to do it last year but held off to ensure better execution and opened it up outside of Halton region. Initial goal was 4-5k kids but demand grew. 

Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board created a high school curriculum such as researching Forge's marketing, designing team ads, creating trading cards, analyzing the impact of THF on the Stipley neighbourhood/local tourism, comparing the motion patterns of soccer’s different positions, predicting the distance covered by players, researching energy balances/developing an energy plan for a player, determining the factors influencing stadium food choices, and breaking down the Forge's merchandise market.

220 buses, 100 schools, 11000 kids from Niagara to Oakville. So, about 3k+ were standard issue Forge supporters.