Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^I normally just ignore this small minded bigot but just occasionally a response is necessary. How dare anyone on here suggest that I am pushing a Canada is bad narrative. I made a positive decision in life to move to Canada and become a citizen because I think Canada is pretty much the best country in the world. Being of the belief that CanPL should have launched with a different economic model from what it did doesn't mean I dislike Canada (why would it that's completely nonsensical?), and definitely doesn't mean I dislike Canadian soccer, it just means that I would love to see pro soccer in Canada succeed to its full potential and have an opinion as to how that should unfold.

Its actually a bit rich to be called a bigot, by you of all people.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^clearly despises MLS but is still a TFC season ticket holder apparently and I've seen little or nothing in his posts to suggest that he ever goes anywhere near a York United game. 

This is pathetic from you. This isn't the gotcha you think it is.

I actually no longer am a TFC season ticket holder. Finally got rid of them although i probably should have kept them and duped some Messi fan boys lol.

And I don't despise MLS. I criticize it because I want it to better for Canadian soccer. I am against discrimination, like their Canadian as foreigners rule. You seem to be in favour of discrimination like that though. 

And I'm still waiting to see you once criticize MLS teams for their fake attendance numbers the way you do CPL. But we all know you are a massive hypocrite so that will never happen.

Finally I attend 2-3 York games per year.

With a kid now that isn't really into sports it's hard to get out to games anymore.

I'm a huge sports fan and I haven't been to a live Leafs, Raptors or Jays game in years now. It just doesn't work out with my other commitments anymore.

So please tell us about all the CPL games you have attended. 

Edited by narduch

6 hours ago, narduch said:

This is pathetic from you. This isn't the gotcha you think it is.

I actually no longer am a TFC season ticket holder. Finally got rid of them although i probably should have kept them and duped some Messi fan boys lol.

And I don't despise MLS. I criticize it because I want it to better for Canadian soccer. I am against discrimination, like their Canadian as foreigners rule. You seem to be in favour of discrimination like that though. 

And I'm still waiting to see you once criticize MLS teams for their fake attendance numbers the way you do CPL. But we all know you are a massive hypocrite so that will never happen.

Finally I attend 2-3 York games per year.

With a kid now that isn't really into sports it's hard to get out to games anymore.

I'm a huge sports fan and I haven't been to a live Leafs, Raptors or Jays game in years now. It just doesn't work out with my other commitments anymore.

So please tell us about all the CPL games you have attended. 

He won't because he can't. Hypocrite to the umpteenth degree. 

17 hours ago, narduch said:

...And I'm still waiting to see you once criticize MLS teams for their fake attendance numbers the way you do CPL...

^^^do people like this even read my posts? I have frequently commented on MLS having attendance issues in markets such as New Jersey, Chicago, Houston and Miami (pre-Messi). I have also made it clear that I am fully aware that it is standard practice for many/most pro leagues in North America including MLS to boost annnounced attendance numbers well beyond the actual scanned tickets count for PR reasons when there are issues such as that. For example, in a Canadian context the CFL definitely does it as well:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/hard-to-buy-what-elks-are-selling

...The announced attendance at Commonwealth Stadium for Thursday’s loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats was pure fiction: 21,000 and change. If the Elks actually sold 21,000 tickets, good on them, but they weren’t getting the in-stadium spend on booze, food and merchandise from about half that number because those people weren’t in the stadium...

It should be possible on a fan messageboard devoted to the interests of Canadian soccer to discuss what is actually happening frankly and honestly without receiving a barrage of abuse from a small posse of obsessed Nationalists who seem to think it is their patriotic duty to defend anything and everything the league does because it has the word Canadian in its name.

Newsflash: CSB is a private business rather than a federal agency and federal politicians from right across the political spectrum have actually been deeply critical of the deal that was made between the CSA and CSB in recent times. Being critical of what CSB has done in a constructive way that suggests alternatives is not an attack on Canada it is just a constructive criticism of the direction that Canadian soccer is heading in driven by a desire to see pro soccer in Canada reach its full potential.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Some of the moves other CPL sides are making this year really feel like they’ve gone up a level. Forges lack of depth scares me right now, especially at the back. I think another core signing may be needed to keep up as the title favourite.

Oh it wouldnt hurt Forge to have an off year.  HEHEHEHE.  

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Just a few days earlier weren't we discussing how Forge probably brought in what could be the best player in the league?

I wasn’t in on that conversation but honestly I didn’t agree with it. In his last two seasons he had zero first team appearances (2. Bundesliga and Belgian First Div) and only had roughly 400 minutes with Düsseldorf’s Regionliga side.

You would have to go back 5 years to find a season where he had more than 5 starts in a year. It really isn’t much different than other past prime or “bust” players to come over from top euro leagues/clubs.

Not to say he’ll be shit for CPL quality. I just don’t expect him to be the guaranteed game changer as has been hype. Bouka Moutou has taught me to temper expectations.

Edited by Pottsy3

I know this is a Forge thread, but as these last posts are keeper related, I thought I'd throw this question out there. How is Andreas Vaikla not in the league? I thought he was really impressive for FC Edmonton in their final season. I think he even has Champion's League (maybe qualifying) experience. Last I heard he was in L1O.

Edited by jdheid

There was a lot of discontent over the players union angle so not sure that's accurate. If he was with the team in Mexico and the financial angle of preparing to play out of season in Feb had been handled OK prior to that I'm struggling to think what the dispute could be over beyond the something personal being a bust up with Bobby Smyrniotis.

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

Given how many long-termers are on the team, that tweet seems a little over the top. If there were serious issues with management, I think they would have emerged before now.

No kidding.

FYI, I found that reading that tweet out loud produced the exact same sound as my grindstone working the axe.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Finally got around to reading the Northern Tribune piece and it has this snippet:

...Henry has been absent from the club’s preseason coverage, suggesting that the issue has sidelined the goalkeeper for at least the last month...

The talk is that he apparently has "more money" offers that Forge is blocking/asking for too much in transfer fees.