Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - 1st Round - TSS Rovers v Valour - April 19, 2023

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Well that was fun as a neutral 😃!!!

"Louis Riel, Ed Scheyrer, Burton Cummings, Chantal Kreviazuk, Bobby Clarke, Heather Stefanson!  Can you hear me? Heather Stefanson!  Your boys took a hell of a beating!  Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

(Insert names of other famous Manitobans you'd like).

Edited by BearcatSA

Congrats to the Rovers, they took the chance hosting, made the most of it and its a great day for TSS and 1BC.  Hopefully Ted was a the game.    

Although Niel Young might have to team up with Fred Penner, Bachman/Cummings to write a song about the Rovers that made the winter last even longer.  

Edited by Bison44

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

The Dos Santos magic on full display in a Cup game once again. Witnessed it many times as a Whitecaps fan. Just nice to not be the victim of it for once.

What is it with PDS and Cups? I actually think he's done well enough in the league. Valour have had bottom of the table talent the last two years, but have finished middle. But in big matches it all goes pear-shaped.

19 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

fun game, fun atmosphere and thankfully the soccer gods cleared the skies for NO RAIN this evening...hope TSS sold enough tickets to cover overhead for this match. onward!

Seemed like a good crowd.  Middle section of the stands were full, ends were empty.  But I suspect the TSS management will take that a loss if they didn't cover it, because you can't put a price on making history like that.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

This is the nail in the coffin for the existence of pro soccer on the prairies. Valour won't exist after October.

Hope you are wrong, but even if the Valour go under does Calgary not qualify as prairies or am I missing something? The concern has to be that the Blue Bombers front office didn't give PdS a big enough budget for preseason to bring in suitable trialists and are spending at the salary floor, that in turn leads to a substandard onfield product at a time when they are demanding fans show up to prove the club is a viable entity. Think the glimmer of hope is that the league really can't afford the optics of dropping below eight clubs so would likely take the Valour under league ownership for a bit while looking for somebody else to step in.

Guys, last I looked Valour was top of the table in CPL.

I was also of the mind TSS could pull an upset but because I saw them in the L1 final last summer. They weren't amazing. In fact they were gifted a goal on a terrible penalty call. But they were tough to break down and disciplined. Then they have a real fan base, which supported them last night, team spirit and pride, and are used to a "mature" field (Swangard is usually in excellent condition, it may be a bit early in the season though; it's also a large field). 

Sort of too bad this couldn't be a weekend fixture as likely they'd have drawn an eveh bigger crowd.

And of course this is the V Cup game I skip because of the start time.  Damn.   

Nothing against Valour, but put me in the camp that loves a cup upset.  Without games like these there isn’t much point in the expanded format - we could just assume that the 3 MLS teams will hand the cup around.  Personally, I love the possibility of a victorious underdog.  

Going to try to stay positive.  Have already moved on so shouldn't be that hard.

Congrats to those sons of bitches Rovers, full marks for the win.  Quite sure that history making night was a fun one for all concerned. 

Surprised by the result, but not really.  Think most people who follow Valour closely can probably say that. Maybe people who closely follow go-to-hell Rovers can say that as well.  Don't know.

Took a few eye rolling moments from the wee elf yesterday.  Everyone agrees it's so early in the season that you don't know what form any team will bring but she didn't much care for my "fabricating excuses".  Like Muther Fu'kers Rovers probably played the winter season together, which Valour did not, and playing on Swangard's grass would require a very rapid learning curve for the visitors.  Don't often get to do the "I told you so." with her, so thanks for that 3 dressed up as a 9 Rovers.

There.  Wasn't that hard after all.

Late already, just wanted to type a few words before never speaking about last night ever again.  Wow,  I think I just had a moment of deja vu.

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Amazing for Canadian soccer. Not as terrible for Valour as being made out by some. Probably a blessing in disguise for them if it gets them up for the league and avoids another midweek game for a squad that, let’s face it, doesn’t have depth. 

If Ohin is out for the year as seems likely after getting jammed up this is maybe worse than what I was saying earlier. Certainly the worst outcome in a club history that is spoiled for choice.

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

This is such a dark night for Canadian soccer.

Or, it  a good night for Canadian soccer (bad night for Valour!) as perhaps these kinds of upsets or performances by lower level teams can identify otherwise anonymous very good players for better opportunities. I recall a Canada B roster that soundly defeated an English Championship side at Swangard in Burnaby many years ago. From that Canadian squad, the careers of Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux both received a real boost. Wouldn't it be something if some TSS player was offered a trial or a spot on a CPL team, or Whitecaps 2, due to a really strong performance against a higher level squad?

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Or, it  a good night for Canadian soccer (bad night for Valour!) as perhaps these kinds of upsets or performances by lower level teams can identify otherwise anonymous very good players for better opportunities. I recall a Canada B roster that soundly defeated an English Championship side at Swangard in Burnaby many years ago. From that Canadian squad, the careers of Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux both received a real boost. Wouldn't it be something if some TSS player was offered a trial or a spot on a CPL team, or Whitecaps 2, due to a really strong performance against a higher level squad?

Ownership has made clear that Valour is a few bad nights or a single bad year away from ceasing to exist. Hopefully this is a wakeup call that helps to re-focus on the league because otherwise this club will Eddy out very quickly.

Edited by jonovision

I loved that, in the postmatch interview, Will Cromack practically shouted out the fact that his team are hungry, Canadian, and ready and willing to play at the next level. Seemed to be throwing shade towards the many foreign signings at VFC and across the CPL. Said the other teams can pick up the phone and call him.