Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - 1st Round - TSS Rovers v Valour - April 19, 2023

Game is at 7:30pm PT (9:30pm CT) on One Soccer and Fubo.

TSS Rovers are the first ever League 1 BC team to play in the Voyageurs Cup.

Valour defeated York United 2-0 on the weekend.

This will be Rovers first match of the season.

The winner of this match will face Pacific or Calavry in the Quarter Finals.

1 win and suddenly optimism reigns among Valour fans!  Last year Valour was unable to win games they were expected to win (i.e. against Edmonton), hopefully this year they can breakdown the defensive position TSS will present.

I expect Valour will rotate their starting lineup as much current injuries allow.  Unused Rendon and Ponce will start.  Siaj and Chandler are also likely to make the starting 11.  From what PDS is saying in interviews Yesli will remain in goal.

The players should thank whomever at Valour decline hosting in the 1st round -- High of +3C and snow in the forecast!  Unfortunately weather for the home opener is not a lot better.

30 minutes ago, Kingston said:

This is my pick if we're going to see a D3 upset win this year.

I think Valour will not be taking this game lightly. Get the expected result and they are one win away from hosting the Whitecaps, which would be by far the biggest football match (and likely crowd) they've ever played at home. It depends on how much rotation PDS is going to do but I think it would be fair to prioritize this match at least as much as the home opener in the snow that nobody is going to see.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think Valour will not be taking this game lightly. Get the expected result and they are one win away from hosting the Whitecaps, which would be by far the biggest football match (and likely crowd) they've ever played at home. It depends on how much rotation PDS is going to do but I think it would be fair to prioritize this match at least as much as the home opener in the snow that nobody is going to see.

I'm not predicting a TSS win, just saying that, of the three matches involving D3 teams, this one has the biggest potential for an upset.  Valour will likely come out victorious.

Edit:  Actually, I am predicting a TSS win.  It costs me nothing to be wrong and if I'm right I'll look like a genius!

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

I'm not predicting a TSS win, just saying that, of the three matches involving D3 teams, this one has the biggest potential for an upset.  Valour will likely come out victorious.

Edit:  Actually, I am predicting a TSS win.  It costs me nothing to be wrong and if I'm right I'll look like a genius!

Oh everything comes with a cost............

2 minutes ago, Kingston said:

It's always possible and if Valour were to lose I'd be immensely annoyed of course, but also happy for the supporters/owners of TSS. But I personally think a D3 team knocking off a CPL side is even less likely than a CPL team knocking out a (non-Whitecaps) MLS side. I saw Patrice Bernier on twitter hyping the possibility of Vaughan beating Montreal with their all-ex-CPL midfield but I had to laugh when one of the ex-CPLers named was Dylan Carreiro.

After watching the York vs Valour game on Sunday I think there is every chance a D3 team will knock out a struggling CanPL team at some point. Against the Forge or Cavalry I'll agree not so likely. It's already been close to happening. HFX Wanderers only went through on away goals over two legs against Vaughan Azzurri in 2019 and managed to lose the second leg.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It's always possible and if Valour were to lose I'd be immensely annoyed of course, but also happy for the supporters/owners of TSS. But I personally think a D3 team knocking off a CPL side is even less likely than a CPL team knocking out a (non-Whitecaps) MLS side.

I think you are right.  The CPL teams are 8-1-1 against the D3 teams.  The loss and draw came back when each leg was home and away so, although Vaughan did beat Halifax in a game, no D3 team has taken down a CPL club.  And the gap seems to be getting wider, rather than narrower.  Eventually an upset will probably happen involving some sort of irreproducible weirdness, but it doesn't seem likely.

The MLS teams are 13-2-2 against CPL opponents and Vancouver has been knocked out by CPL teams.  So the likelihood is higher.  And the fact that the MLS teams have mostly been pretty bad during the entire CPL era has certainly helped keep the Canadian Championship more interesting.

"Valour is already without veteran centre back Andrew Jean-Baptiste, fullbacks Jordan Haynes and Eskander Mzoughi and midfielder Marcello Polisi, all of whom did not make the road trip due to injury." -- none of these players featured vs York either.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/canadian-championship-preliminary-rounds-match-preview

Anyone know where to find the Rover's 2023 roster?

U

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Anyone know where to find the Rover's 2023 roster?   

from "Soccerway"

UAD

Goalkeepers
903980.png
18 years old
Appearances 0 Goal 0
512538.png
  J. Sandhu
21 years old
Appearances 0 Goal 0
Defenders
576703.png