Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Quarter-Final: Canada v Puerto Rico - Wednesday, February 22, 2023 - 2pm PT/5pm ET

narduch

This team seemed to improve so much each game which is good to see and some of that has to be attributed to coaching, with little preperation these tournaments are tough and there isn't a lot of margin for error! Well done to th boys and staff, qualifying for a World Cup is fantastic, let's have a go at the Yanks! 

First, congrats to the kids for the qualification, they have done the country proud. They do look better each match although today it may be may also because they were playing a team that looked tired with one less day of rest and playing with 10 men into a PK shootout, and I suspect wasn’t that good to begin with. It will be tough to get the win against the US but mission already accomplished. We might be typing the name Chukwu on these boards very often for many years to come 

Just now, Jack1997 said:

14 years old and being a crucial player on this team, so damn impressive.

I won’t mention the last guy who was performing at this age and underaged due to my ties….but let’s hope he has a better career in the interm. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I won’t mention the last guy who was performing at this age and underaged due to my ties….but let’s hope he has a better career in the interm. 

Another crazy thing about it is that Davies was doing it at winger which is a lot more based on technical ability and pace whereas Ckukwu is doing it at DM which takes a lot of smarts and strength. Anybody know how close this guy could be to the the TFC first team? Or even close at all?

Just now, Jack1997 said:

Another crazy thing about it is that Davies was doing it at winger which is a lot more based on technical ability and pace whereas Ckukwu is doing it at DM which takes a lot of smarts and strength. Anybody know how close this guy could be to the the TFC first team? Or even close at all?

Two years? I think the youngest they go pro is 16. That's rare. 

Congratulations to the guys on a mission accomplished!

So far this tournament performance reminds me a little bit of the senior team in the last Gold Cup. Tight 1-0 loss in a relatively meaningless round robin game vs the U.S., while taking care of business against other opponents despite the occasional defensive lapse.

Hopefully this crew can make it one round further than that Gold Cup team did. It will be tough playing the U.S. on one less day of rest, but they made it easier on themselves by controlling the game today and not having to put in a ton of running. Guatemala putting 16 shots and 3 goals on the U.S. in the last round shows that they are definitely not impregnable at the back.

34 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I have not seen any of the games, but I am heartened to hear that the team has improved significantly over the course of the tournament. Just goes to show what can happen with proper preparation and such. Encouraging stuff! How many of our top prospects from this age group were NOT at this tournament?

I am not sure who we were missing. However, the tournament isn't until November, hopefully a couple of these guys get sone looks with the first team. Or some CPL guys emerge over the course of the season.