Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Quarter-Final: Canada v Puerto Rico - Wednesday, February 22, 2023 - 2pm PT/5pm ET

narduch

The boys looked much better today than previous games I’ve watched.  Congratulations to the boys.

One comment I want to add.  As with most Canadian soccer players, most of these players are dual citizenship so clinching a berth at the U17 World Cup will hopefully go a long way in helping recruit and maintain youth players in our Canadians system.  It’s going to be an experience that these players will hold fondly for their life.

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

This team is not fast, but the lads  are good on the ball, pass well and have composure. PR trying to catch us on the break

That’s been a surprise. Always expect a Canadian squad to have some speed but maybe this age group had more Ricketts than Buchanan in the speedsters. 

This will be the 8th tournament Canada has qualified for at the U17 level. We've never gone past the group stage. Can we finally do that in Peru? I haven't watched the team closely (last match was the first full match, rest was highlights), but so far it seems like a sum-of-all-parts squad without a standout like a Jayden Nelson. Maybe that's a good thing. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'll correct myself - Biello is a standout. He's more of a does-everything-right kind of player. No flash but very effective. Reminds me of Justin Smith, actually. 

I've watched every game and I think there are 3 standouts - Biello, Stefanovic and Oseme.  After those 3, Ozimec and Badwhal seem like really good, key players.

4 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I've watched every game and I think there are 3 standouts - Biello, Stefanovic and Oseme.  After those 3, Ozimec and Badwhal seem like really good, key players.

Ozimec reminds me of one of those players with average talent but a big knack for making plays, which is a talent in itself. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ozimec reminds me of one of those players with average talent but a big knack for making plays, which is a talent in itself. 

He makes the "right" play a lot of the time as well. When he gets service (I think that keeps him off the standout list for me) he seems to make something happen.  Sometimes, that something is a shot way over the bar, but usually does something good rather than over-dribbling or bad touches that a lot of the others do much more frequently.

I will add, I think the 14 year old Chukwu, although maybe not a key player on this team, has been impressive for someone that young at this level.  However, as @Shwayalluded to earlier, we have seen a lot of players excel at this level and quickly fizzle away later in their careers.

19 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I will add, I think the 14 year old Chukwu, although maybe not a key player on this team, has been impressive for someone that young at this level.  However, as @Shwayalluded to earlier, we have seen a lot of players excel at this level and quickly fizzle away later in their careers.

Jordan Hamilton was 14, and one of the main strikers (which is more impressive than being a striker) who led Canada to the Concacaf runners up in 2011. He was subsequently dropped from the squad for Yassine Essa (I remember the hype around that kid who completely disappeared).

All that to say...Chukwu could get dropped for the final WC squad. (possibly for his brother)

Edited by Shway