Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Quarter-Final: Canada v Puerto Rico - Wednesday, February 22, 2023 - 2pm PT/5pm ET

narduch

Overall this looks SO much better than the previous games -- way fewer give-aways, and much cleaner and more decisive link-up play.  Still getting beat on the wings in our own third at times and the final ball is not there (other than the great open-play goal), but much more encouraging.

1 minute ago, gator said:

Silly and maybe harsh Yellow for De Montigny, I would take him off at the half, I think @El Hombre cursed him with his praise a couple of matches ago, I was buying into the hype but he hasn't been all that impressive to me since!

His play has been up and down this half, yes. I’m expecting him to be the first subbed out, the way things are playing out.

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Overall this looks SO much better than the previous games -- way fewer give-aways, and much cleaner and more decisive link-up play.  Still getting beat on the wings in our own third at times and the final ball is not there (other than the great open-play goal), but much more encouraging.

It’s refreshing to see that every single player seems to want to create once they receive possession.

We need to be smart in possession, and not rush forward or force any passes.  It seems  PR want to sit off and drop deep (so they can hit us on the counter), so our boys need to be patient and manage the clock. That will force them to push further forward to close us down, and hopefully open up space in between their lines which we can exploit. 

10 minutes ago, gator said:

Silly and maybe harsh Yellow for De Montigny, I would take him off at the half, I think @El Hombre cursed him with his praise a couple of matches ago, I was buying into the hype but he hasn't been all that impressive to me since!

Seemed a bit silly but also harsh. The high ball from the midfielder that led to the yellow also seemed unnecessary. Maybe I missed something on my small screen I’m watching on, by why launch that pass so high there?