Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Definitely the World Cup group. Going off the purely first impressions we drew a World Cup finalist and #1 ranked team.  Chile and Peru are good but Morocco and a Croatia are objectively tougher sides. 

I hope you’re right because I want 4 points here 

25 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Eleven Vs Argentina  5-3-3

...............    Shatner ...............

Moranis Aykroyd  Reynolds D.Foley

Carrey  MoeDiamantopulos  M.J Fox

Wolverine.  M. Short   M.Myers 

Bench

Rogen

Buruchel

Deadpool

Bublee

Levy

Ironside

Fraser

a) I like your strategy for beating Argentina. Trotting out an extra player. Genius!

b) I hope after all this, you're referring to Liam Fraser, who may have some acting chops I'm not aware of.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

The U.S. has really cemented themselves as top dog in the region by quite a margin. The interesting thing is how far Mexico has fallen off. That #2 spot is wide open.  Even looking at their roster - there’s not much to be scared of. They’ve scored one goal against the U.S. in their last six matches.  We’ve scored 6 against US in the last six. Maybe Flores gets called up my Mexico soon ….

Ochoa > crepeau
gallardo <davies
vasquez > miller
montes > bombito/cornelius or whoever
sanchez/araujo> johnston.... this could be fairly close though? 
Alvarez = staq
chavez< kone
sanchez< david
lozano< buchanan although this one could go either way? 
antuna < Millar
jimenez/Gimenez = larin 

Head to head, I think our roster is just about past them. Our biggest difference is they have a better floor than us and much higher quality defenders. If we end up with 2 prem level defenders, then I think we are superior to mexico.... on paper. 

They also seem to have a more balanced squad. Buchanan might become an elite wingback but lozano is a proper winger. 
They have a proper CDM in alvarez and can let their mids be more creative. 

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Ochoa > crepeau
gallardo <davies
vasquez > miller
montes > bombito/cornelius or whoever
sanchez/araujo> johnston.... this could be fairly close though? 
Alvarez = staq
chavez< kone
sanchez< david
lozano< buchanan although this one could go either way? 
antuna < Millar
jimenez/Gimenez = larin 

Head to head, I think our roster is just about past them. Our biggest difference is they have a better floor than us and much higher quality defenders. If we end up with 2 prem level defenders, then I think we are superior to mexico.... on paper. 

They also seem to have a more balanced squad. Buchanan might become an elite wingback but lozano is a proper winger. 
They have a proper CDM in alvarez and can let their mids be more creative. 

Not so much the yanks they have depth that's all they have but nothing else espectacular.  Listen,  last time I checked it's only eleven a side Mon frère !!!!! Hahaha

Jamaica should have killed that match off !!! They couldnt without the two main strikers Nicholson and the Everton winger Gray

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

Eleven Vs Argentina  5-3-3

...............    Shatner ...............

Moranis Aykroyd  Reynolds D.Foley

Carrey  MoeDiamantopulos  M.J Fox

Wolverine.  M. Short   M.Myers 

Bench

Rogen

Buruchel

Deadpool

Bublee

Levy

Ironside

Fraser

No way Bjorn Ironside doesn't start.. he's Canada's Erling Haaland incarnate. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

World Cup group:

Belgium, Croatia, Morocco 

Copa group:

Argentina, Chile, Peru

Which one is tougher? 

Keep in mind before the wc we didn’t think Morocco was as good as they turned out to be. 

I thought Morocco would be tougher than Belgium. Check the receipts😉.

But, with a lot of familiarity bias, surely it has to be the World Cup group.  

Chile - Brereton Díaz can be very dangerous but very streaky. Sanchez can still produce some magic.  Marcelino Nunez I know has some deep passing guile for Norwich. There is a centre back who seems to mostly start for Monaco.  

Any body else we should watch?

Peru is less known to me.  A couple? MLSers, a teammate of Cornelius, and a guy mostly on the bench at Feyenoord seem to be the highlights. 

Again any more knowledge?

4 minutes ago, Güerito said:

No way Bjorn Ironside doesn't start.. he's Canada's Erling Haaland incarnate. 

I loved him in The Machinist , V,  all those crazy fun movies like Starship troopers and in Alfred Hitchcock 's The Edge with Mark Hamill lovely episode !!!!

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Chile - Brereton Díaz can be very dangerous but very streaky. Sanchez can still produce some magic.  Marcelino Nunez I know has some deep passing guile for Norwich. There is a centre back who seems to mostly start for Monaco.  

Peru is less known to me.  A couple? MLSers, a teammate of Cornelius, and a guy mostly on the bench at Feyenoord seem to be the highlights. 

Canada needs an international football coach ,  without that will be 4th because of streetwise southAmerican footie, mate 

My Copa America starting XI would look like this

(4-2-3-1)

GK- Maxime Crepeau

LB- Alphonso Davies

CB- Kamal Miller

CB- Moise Bombito

RB- Alistair Johnston

CDM- Stephen Eustaquio (captain)

CDM- Ismael Kone 

LW- Liam Millar

CAM- Jacob Shaffelburg

RW- Tajon Buchanan 

CF- Jonathan David

Larin comes off the bench as a super sub

12 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

My Copa America starting XI would look like this

(4-2-3-1)

GK- Maxime Crepeau

LB- Alphonso Davies

CB- Kamal Miller

CB- Moise Bombito

RB- Alistair Johnston

CDM- Stephen Eustaquio (captain)

CDM- Ismael Kone 

LW- Liam Millar

CAM- Jacob Shaffelburg

RW- Tajon Buchanan 

CF- Jonathan David

Larin comes off the bench as a super sub

Shaf should not be used at CAM. His best and pretty much only attribute is speed down the wing. Putting him at cam nullifies this and puts lots of responsibility on him to defend in midfield, contribute to the build up play and find creative passes. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

There are a few Chile u-21s on B teams and in 2nd division in Spain, like Sebastián Pino on the B team of Alavés. I think the only one in La Liga is Claudio Bravo, who is 40. He's still good, and their season is fine. Brereton was sent on loan to Sheffield from Villareal because he did not perform for them. Then there is Tomás Alarcón, who was in La Liga with Cádiz, was loaned to Zaragoza in 2nd division, then loaned down to a weaker 2nd tier team, Cartagena. One of the thinner Chile squads in recent memory. 

With Chile players it is similar, Alexander Callens went to Girona with Taty Castellanos, then they've loaned him to AEK Athens, then Renato Tapia is consistent on a struggling club like Celta Viga.

If you know anything about these teams they compete like hell, they play as units, are very professional, and are dangerous when they have their national shirt on. I don't think either match is going to be pretty, we may find it a rather hard-ass group stage. I think if we go through, it'll be painfully, and then, in a knock-out, things may get fun.

43 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Shaf should not be used at CAM. His best and pretty much only attribute is speed down the wing. Putting him at cam nullifies this and puts lots of responsibility on him to defend in midfield, contribute to the build up play and find creative passes. 

I dunno, selling him a bit short. Did he not advertise a rocket of a shot over the past couple of weeks? One, unlike many of his compatriots, that actually finds the back of the net?

35 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Peru latest results 

Capturedecranle2024-03-25a17_41_39.png.82927298347bbc6321d52ebcb4212649.png

I think all those results seem reasonable. La Paz is tough. Losses to Brazil and Argentina are no surprise. Even at Chile would be difficult.

I'd say the Peru game is Canada's best chance of getting a result, but that it's not a guarantee.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you know anything about these teams they compete like hell, they play as units, are very professional, and are dangerous when they have their national shirt on.

Can we not say that about the Central American teams as well. We have done generally okay with them as of late?

Bravo was City's backup for quite a while but he wasn't playing last I checked in on Jimmy Fornals and El ingeniero (another Chilean) at Betis. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Styles make fights. I like our style v Peru & Chile

imho, it will be miraculous if Canada strings together an overall competitive match versus those two squads. nothing Canada has shown for quite some time indicates it will do so.  but one match at a time.

Requires heroic (e.g. perfect) effort on defense.  and extremely keen and insightful on the counter.  I don't see us managing the play very much, and that could be good as it is more in the squad's DNA than taking the offensive.  A lot of practice required  before we can learn ourselves into that approach on the Top50 stage.

All in all...it is excellent practice for our squad, to take the measure of themselves and what their best approach is.  players and staff hopefully learn a ton, what else is this tournament for?