Nathan Saliba

Grandbloke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the injury to Choinière, Saliba has started the 3 games CF Montreal has played and has gone the distance each time. In Saturday’s game against Atlanta, Saliba’s midfield teammate Wanyama was subbed out but not him. If Saliba keeps getting lots of playing time, maybe he should be called up for our September friendlies.

Edited by Grandbloke

I also was reminded a few days ago that apparently Saliba was the worst ranked player in all of fifa on the most recent game. Very curious to see how his rating jumps.

Gotta say, I did not expect him to be the young montreal player that breaks through this year. I thought he'd be in the CPL right now and Rea would be our one young shining spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got to watch more than a couple of games this year but from comments he seems like he is having a very similar season to Kone's breakout season, its just he hasn't had those couple of highlight reel moments and goals? Is that fair? Slightly different player for sure but he seems very assured and has a good passing range on him when I watched.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I haven't got to watch more than a couple of games this year but from comments he seems like he is having a very similar season to Kone's breakout season, its just he hasn't had those couple of highlight reel moments and goals? Is that fair? Slightly different player for sure but he seems very assured and has a good passing range on him when I watched.

In my opinion, he's not the game changer that Kone was.  He's still learning and he still makes some mistakes.  Kone had moments of brilliance that Saliba hasn't shown yet.  But Saliba has been solid in an important position on the pitch.  I'm not a tactical guru so some of it might also come down to the difference between a Nancy team and a Losada team.

He's a year younger than Kone was when he had his breakout season, so there's still time.  Different kind of players though.

I hope he has a big second half of the season and solidifies a starting spot. Unless he goes insane near the end of the season I also don’t wanna rush this kid to Europe like many fans will want, I’d like to see a full season of him as a starter at Montreal next year so he can grow and get used to the professional game then we can start talking about Europe imo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm getting a bit repetitive but that was another good performance from Saliba last night. Has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. Solid on both sides of the ball. Had some excellent passes and is displaying a decent level of skill on tha ball. He and Choiniere were the standouts in the first half for CFM

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I'm getting a bit repetitive but that was another good performance from Saliba last night. Has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. Solid on both sides of the ball. Had some excellent passes and is displaying a decent level of skill on tha ball. He and Choiniere were the standouts in the first half for CFM

And loving the smile and camaraderie on his face when his teammates messed up on his through balls. He’s enjoying himself out there, not just looking to add to his stats. Seems to get on well with the team. 

3 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I like him and he definitely seems to be improving as the season has progressed. That being said, I don’t see at this stage that extra special factor Kone had last year which makes me believe the latter just has the much higher ceiling even if the former could turn out to be the more competent player. 

From the Athletic's weekly MLS wrap column, Saliba may follow Kone's footpath.

Multiple sources tell The Athletic Saliba is drawing interest from clubs in Belgium and Scotland, which have been regularly tracking Saliba in his debut MLS season.

Despite his young age, Saliba has become one of the most pleasant surprises north of the border this season. Saliba was slow out of the gate this season but has since solidified himself as a dependable, deep-lying central midfielder who can distribute the ball well and break up opposition attacks with his pressing ability. Sources said it is Saliba’s consistency and maturity as a teenager that has continually interested clubs from abroad.

...European clubs aren’t the only ones taking note of Saliba’s progress. He might be in line for a national team call-up come October.

“(Saliba) is a player we’re looking at,” Canada interim manager Mauro Biello told The Athletic. “Young players are, for sure, part of the plan.”

https://theathletic.com/4896994/2023/09/25/john-fisher-earthquakes-mls-acosta/

Edited by red card