Nathan Saliba

Grandbloke

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

3 of the 4 you named, were probably not in consideration. Wotherspoon is definitely not.

Is Loturi an expected call at this point? He fell to the bench at Ross County, I think Saliba clears him by now.

Re: Kaye, he looks good for NE this year no? What I've seen from him, I think he might be back in the mix. Spoony should be out of the picture by now though.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Might be right with Loturi being passed over for this friendly. There is probabluly a case for including Harry Paton too. 

After missing the first two games with injury he has played 90mins in 3 out of 4 with 45mins in his comeback match. Scored too.

Saliba deserves a look for sure. He, choiniere and sirois, likely Waterman too should be there from Montreal.

37 minutes ago, red card said:

From the Athletic's weekly MLS wrap column, Saliba may follow Kone's footpath.

Multiple sources tell The Athletic Saliba is drawing interest from clubs in Belgium and Scotland, which have been regularly tracking Saliba in his debut MLS season.

Despite his young age, Saliba has become one of the most pleasant surprises north of the border this season. Saliba was slow out of the gate this season but has since solidified himself as a dependable, deep-lying central midfielder who can distribute the ball well and break up opposition attacks with his pressing ability. Sources said it is Saliba’s consistency and maturity as a teenager that has continually interested clubs from abroad.

...European clubs aren’t the only ones taking note of Saliba’s progress. He might be in line for a national team call-up come October.

“(Saliba) is a player we’re looking at,” Canada interim manager Mauro Biello told The Athletic. “Young players are, for sure, part of the plan.”

https://theathletic.com/4896994/2023/09/25/john-fisher-earthquakes-mls-acosta/

Not surprised, at Doyle was very high on him 3 years ago and mentioned him in the preview, he was their best midfield prospect 2 years ago and then we didn’t talk about him last year it was to be Zouhir, it became Kone and now he’s shinning and Zouhir could still be good.

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea I had him pencil in as a call up for October, but at who's expense?

It's a good question. @costarg would say Osorio and I wouldn't mind that. We will likely call at least 4 CMs, maybe 5, so Eustaquio, Kone and two more. I have a gut feeling Piette will be one. Maybe Choniere and Saliba to round it out? What about Ahmed? And do we really call both Ahmed and Saliba over Osorio? Does Kaye come back in?

If it were me I would call Eustaquio, Kone, Ahmed, Choniere and Saliba as my 5. No true DM but it's a friendly and if Bombito gets called in the back that's one player who can potentially push up to DM if needed. 

I would be shocked if an interim drops osorio in his first squad selection. 

Staq, kone, and oso are probably locks. 

Bombito is likely getting a call up. Hes comparable to spoony in the sense that hes a different position but still can add to the midfield depth. 

Thats 3 + 1.  Saliba, piette, choinierre and ali all fighting for the last 2 spots. 

Saliba gets "loturis" spot as the youngster. Choinierre gets the final spot. 

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

I would be shocked if an interim drops osorio in his first squad selection. 

Staq, kone, and oso are probably locks. 

Bombito is likely getting a call up. Hes comparable to spoony in the sense that hes a different position but still can add to the midfield depth. 

Thats 3 + 1.  Saliba, piette, choinierre and ali all fighting for the last 2 spots. 

Saliba gets "loturis" spot as the youngster. Choinierre gets the final spot. 

I see it playing out exactly this way. Saliba gets the Loturi spot, likely won't get a cap but will be introduced to the group. Choniere I think has to make it and I think Ahmed does too. Maybe it will come down to whether you want to bring Piette back in after a very long absence, or if you want to take this opportunity to bring Saliba in?

I almost feel Biello will go with Piette, since there is no big rush to bring in Saliba. We could always call Saliba up for the November window as the final man, just as we did Loturi for NL. Maybe we treat Japan as a "let's see what you got" window for Piette and use that to determine whether we use him in November. 

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

On the main TFC fan forum  a poster in the know is saying De Vos will join the team as Technical Director. 

I assume this means to run the Academy 

Wrong thread I think....but this is a shit show. Herdman must be having conversations with the real bosses about Mannings position.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I swear each time I watch this kid he astonishes me. What a freaking through ball!

He's getting better and better with the through balls.  Didn't seem to be part of his game/package early this season, seems he just developed this skill.  Crazy what happens when you play a kid in his position (not LB or RB) and give him several games to find his footing.

I know that November is not the time to experiment, but I do want to see him called for the NL quarters. Paton and Choniere were decent in Japan and Ahmed had a great Gold Cup and deserves a recall, but I hope Biello is looking at these 3 players and pondering who needs to miss out to bring in Saliba. The sooner we bring him into the fold the better, even if he doesn't play. He needs to get exposed to the lads sooner than later. 

It may be harsh but I think Paton should be omitted, unless he explodes in Scotland over the next few weeks. And harsher still may be omitting Ahmed again but it may just be prudent to do so. 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Not yet 20yrs young, Saliba started against Minnesota tonight. Game ended 1-1. Very excited to see his progression this coming season.

Started the second half, as Montreal put out a new XI after 45. An exciting prospect, to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Shway said:

Me too! 
We complain about a lack of defenders or centre-backs specifically, but we are actually thinner in the midfield positions.  

Nah, we are no where close to having guys along the lines and potential of Saliba, Ali, Choiniere at CB.  Not to mention Kone and Stache.

We have depth at CB, but no experienced combinations/familiarity and no top EU league potential or experience.

Edited by costarg

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Me too! 
We complain about a lack of defenders or centre-backs specifically, but we are actually thinner in the midfield positions.  

I think it’s because we have 2 guys who are near the top of our national team In quality so they can make up for the lack of depth where as at CB our best players aren’t anywhere near the level of Staq or Koné.